PDA

View Full Version : Silver Maple Box

Michael Stafford
10-27-2005, 6:53 AM
Yet another turned box that somehow escaped my collection and ended up in Arkansas of all places.:p :D

This was the first time I have turned silver maple into a box form. It is about 2 1/2" in diameter and 3 1/2" tall, I think....

There is a lot of curl in this box but it is hard to see in the photos.

Thanks for looking.:)

Jeff Sudmeier
10-27-2005, 7:26 AM
Mik,

It sure does look great from here! I love how close your lids always fit on the boxes.

Dick Parr
10-27-2005, 7:33 AM
Looks great Mike!

Keith Burns
10-27-2005, 8:29 AM
Another wonderful box. We are going to have to start calling you the "Boxmaster". :) Just curious how thin do you generally make the walls?

Michael Stafford
10-27-2005, 9:26 AM
Keith, I wish I had a pat answer for you regarding wall thickness but it depends on when the box starts chattering. My skills are such that if the wood starts chattering I start moving toward completing the box. I like for them to be 1/4" or less and quite frequently I am able to get certain woods as thin as 1/8" or less at the flange and 3/16" in the body. The top and bottom are thicker since they are totally end grain and more fragile. This box falls into the thicker category for a couple of reasons, the design and the deep grooves I used to disguise the join. I know that is not much of an answer but that is the best answer I can give.:o

Jim Ketron
10-27-2005, 4:22 PM
Keith He has had that name for a while:D or thats what I call him :D
isn't that Right MR. Boxmaster :D
Mike really has box making down to a sience, flat or round!
always love to see them! And I have held one or two also!

Nice Box Mike! (AKA Boxmaster):D

Travis Stinson
10-27-2005, 7:10 PM
Another sweet looking box Mike!:cool:

Shelley Bolster
10-27-2005, 8:07 PM
And he thought we called him BM because it was short for Big Mike when actually it was short for Box Master........another perfect one Michael! :)

Mark Cothren
10-27-2005, 10:33 PM
That's another great one, MBM (Mr. BoxMaster)...:D You did good - again...

Thanks for the picture!

Carole Valentine
10-27-2005, 11:06 PM
I need to take a road trip down to NC and get a "box lesson" from you! :)

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 5:42 AM
Carole, that would make for a pleasant day or two. We have a big ole' empty house so you and your hubby come on down and we will take a spin on my Nova.....8-speed.:D

John Hart
10-28-2005, 5:48 AM
If I ever get around to making a box, you can be sure that you were the inspiration for it Mike!! Another nice'un.;) .....Mr. Boxmaster Sir.:)

Kurt Aebi
10-28-2005, 12:52 PM
That's Mister Box Master at his finest again!:eek:

Great job (I say as I bow to you, oh great master!! :cool: )!

Another really nice piece, Mike!

Carole Valentine
10-28-2005, 2:01 PM
Carole, that would make for a pleasant day or two. We have a big ole' empty house so you and your hubby come on down and we will take a spin on my Nova.....8-speed.:D

Sorry, no "hubby" here since 2000 and not lookin' to have one in the forseeable future either! I'm havin' waaaay to much fun! :D