PDA

View Full Version : Flip Tool Stand

Jerry Bruette
07-20-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm making a flip top tool stand for my ridgid planer and ridgid belt/spindle sander. The plans I'm following are from fixthisbuildthat, there's a drawer under the shelf and the plans call for a plywood bottom that's glued and stapled to the drawer box.

Here's my questions would a piece of 1/4 inch hardboard be sufficient for the the bottom and would I be better off putting the hardboard in a dado. The drawer box is made from plywood and put together with pocket screws.

I'll be using the drawer to store the accessories/tools for the planer and sander.

Nick Decker
07-20-2017, 1:05 PM
I'd vote dado, but I haven't worked much with hardboard.

Mike Hollingsworth
07-20-2017, 1:26 PM
I thought you meant one of these:
Every shop needs one. Much better than a roller.

Rich Engelhardt
07-20-2017, 4:03 PM
1/4" would depend on the size of the drawer, how deep it is and how heavy the stuff is that you plan to stick in it.
I have an 18" wide by 20 inch deep and 4 inch high drawer built into the base of my mobile dust collector/drawing bench/shop vac cart that the 30 gallon metal trash can I had used to stand on.
I used a rabbeted grove and a 1/8" piece of hardboard as the bottom of that drawer.

All it holds is dusting brushes and different plastic nozzles for the shop vac.

I had to look up the plans.

Honestly?
I'm not a fan of that design. Too little support to it.
Mine is just about the same & there's nothing really that keeps it from racking.
It's way to floppy.

There's some better designs that people here have posted that have a lot more support.

Lee Schierer
07-20-2017, 7:39 PM
A dado holding your drawer bottom will make a more durable drawer. Glue doesn't stick well to hardboard and depending upon the type of staples, they won't provide much holding power. If you use plywood for the drawer bottom you can glue it in the dado and have a drawer that is very strong and won't rack. Just make sure it is perfectly square when you glue it up before the glue sets up. DAMHIKT.

Rick Potter
07-22-2017, 4:33 AM
Definitely dado.

It will take only a few minutes......a couple quick passes on the table saw to widen a saw kerf will do it.