PDA

View Full Version : SawmillCreek Server Moved - Notice

Aaron Koehl
10-27-2005, 12:21 AM
SawmillCreek Moved Wednesday, October 26th

Well, it wasn't completely seamless. I guess that's what you get when you
decide not to run your own DNS anymore. Well, it turns out Cox didn't
update our DNS records exactly right. We have no CNAME entry for
www.sawmillcreek.org (http://www.sawmillcreek.org), but they are adding that now.

Thus,
A lucky few of you might stumble across (http://sawmillcreek.org), but
there currently is no (www.sawmillcreek.org (http://www.sawmillcreek.org))-- the adjusted DNS
entries can take anywhere from 24 to 72 hours to propagate to the larger
DNS servers.

Fortunately, you should be able to receive mail from the server now, too.
Freedom Pens was listed with an incorrect domain, so that, too, will be
available when www.sawmillcreek.org (http://www.sawmillcreek.org) is available.

I expect a few of you will have cookie issues related to the new IP
address on the server- if so, deleting any older cookies should fix it.

Phew. I am going to sleep now. ;)

_Aaron_

Scott Donley
10-27-2005, 12:50 AM
GREAT JOB !!! Now get some sleep and get ready for all the ?????????

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-27-2005, 1:27 AM
Thanks Aaron. Got back in without a hitch.....................at least so far.

Bruce

Mark Singer
10-27-2005, 1:30 AM
Aaron,
Great work!! Looks like its working great!

Dan Forman
10-27-2005, 3:53 AM
Aaron---Thanks for all of your effort on our behalf.

Dan

Bob Noles
10-27-2005, 3:54 AM
Aaron,

Good work! Your devotion and dedication is very much appreciated.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2005, 5:20 AM
Again.....thanks Aaron for what you do for SMC!

Rob Russell
10-27-2005, 5:45 AM
Thanks for the move and all your work. Having SMC gone for a day felt like I'd lost something!

Tim Morton
10-27-2005, 6:01 AM
Logged in without a hitch......thanks !!!!:D :D

Marc Langille
10-27-2005, 6:17 AM
Great job - thank you for getting things up and running so quickly after the move!:)

Bob Winkler
10-27-2005, 6:36 AM
Whew!

I'm still shaking from my lack of SMC for a day :eek:.

Bob

Keith Outten
10-27-2005, 7:08 AM
Well, the move went well all things considered. It was a late night for Aaron and he had his hands full for awhile but a couple of calls to our new bandwidth provider and some head scratching and "The Creek" came back to life.

Aaron has some more tuning to do and I know he has some plans for the coming weeks to make a few improvements. We need to do some testing on the mail server and watch the server load on the new connection at noon today since mid-day is normally our peak time.

When Hampton Roads Online shuts down on Friday we will inherit a few pieces of equipment that we may be able to use for SMC. One particular piece is a huge battery backup that will keep the Creek up through short electrical outages. We will have to go off-line briefly to install the battery backup so we will probably install it this weekend.

Aaron will have to evaluate the remaining equipment to see how he wants to set them up, we have a commercial router and digital switch that would surely be beneficial to our LAN. Our commercial router has enough ram installed to keep every DNS record on the Net in its own memory. A bit more powerfull than the cable router we are using right now.

Pictures of "The Creeks" new home will be posted tonight. Yesterday was very long and this morninig there was not enough time before rushing off to work.

Thanks again to Aaron for his hard work and the long hours yesterday.

Michael Gabbay
10-27-2005, 7:15 AM
Keith / Aaron -

GREAT JOB!!!!!! :)

Ed Lang
10-27-2005, 7:22 AM
Thank you Keith and Aaron.

WOW! My post from 10-25 sure hit home with the DNS. Been there a couple of time myself.

"Keith & Aaron,

Remember, no pictures, it didn't happen :)

Just like I was not at your shop a few weeks back:rolleyes:

Good luck.

DNS don't fail me now."

Glad you were able to get the entries updated quickly.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-27-2005, 7:25 AM
Great Job Aaron!! It is looking great!

Frank Pellow
10-27-2005, 7:49 AM
Thanks Aaron and Keith. I logged in this morning without a hitch of any sort.

Glenn Clabo
10-27-2005, 8:11 AM
Took a little while for me here...didn't think of no www...but it's working great now.

Thanks Aaron...and Keith...and everyone for keeping this place going.

Steve Clardy
10-27-2005, 8:11 AM
Thanks guys.
Steve

Dan Racette
10-27-2005, 8:13 AM
Good job! Glad to have the community back up and running! Suffering withdrawl! :)

Bob Oehler
10-27-2005, 8:14 AM
Glad to see it up and running
Wonderful Job :D

This site is the BEST bar NONE :rolleyes:

Bob Oehler

larry merlau
10-27-2005, 8:15 AM
thanks for keeping thing going well, i am sure you will get things runnng like clockwork soon. we all appreciate your sacrificies of your time and energy

Bruce Page
10-27-2005, 8:24 AM
Aaron, thanks for all your hard work (and knowledge).

Looking good!

Tom Hamilton
10-27-2005, 8:28 AM
Great Job to all the SMC Team!

It was a little dry around here yesterday with no Creek to wade in.

So, glad to have the Creek flowing again. It funny how much you miss something when you can't have it! :D

Congrats again on a smooth move!

TJH

Jim Becker
10-27-2005, 8:43 AM
Great job, folks! And since I almost never use "www" on an address...I got in fine. (Using top-level DNS servers in my router and DHCP helps, too, since they tend to get updates faster than DNS servers several levels down in some ISPs...I use 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 based on recommendations at Broadbandreports)

Using an enterprise class router is a good idea as it will give a lot more reporting capablity as well as security that can be more finely tuned. More reliable, too. I'm also glad to see that a UPS will make it into the mix.

'Looking forward to the pictures that prove things actually exist...
------

And as an aside, yesterday was a very stressful day without SMC to serve as the "elixer"! Sheesh! :o

Halsey MCCombs
10-27-2005, 8:47 AM
Great job Aaron Thank you.Halsey

Martin Lutz
10-27-2005, 8:52 AM
Thanks Aaron, Keith. Great job!!

John Miliunas
10-27-2005, 9:30 AM
Thanks Keith & Aaron! Super job, as always! Also, thanks to Jim B. who let me know about the top-level DNS servers! :) My "local" DNS servers leave much to be desired, so that I wasn't able to resolve even when I tried dropping the "www". BUT, made the trip and happy to be back!:D :cool:

Keith Foster
10-27-2005, 9:51 AM
Welcome Back! Kinda lonely out there in Internet land yesterday.

Hank Knight
10-27-2005, 10:08 AM
I missed you guys yesterday. It's nice to have you back online. I'm glad the move was realtively painless ("relatively" is the operative worde here). Great job!

Ron McNeil
10-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Aaron and Keith, Thanks so much for your hard work and the effort yo put into this woodworkers forum.

IT'S APPREICATED BY MANY I'M SURE

Jerry Ingraham
10-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Aaron,
Thanks for all your hard work! Working fine for me and great to be back in the creek!

Don Baer
10-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Great jobs and thanks for all your hard work.

Aaron Koehl
10-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks to all of you for the good comments!! It certainly makes things so much easier! :D

We'll be moving more equipment in this weekend, namely a UPS and another router.

I am happy to report, despite any DNS issues with our provider, that I am quite pleased with the new connection. Here it is 12:20 (peak time) and the 'Creek is much faster than usual. Not sharing bandwidth with the other HRO websites certainly speeds things up a bit.. ;)

_Aaron_

Andrew Ault
10-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks Aaron, I really appreciate your time, skill and effort.

The changeover was pretty smooth!

- Andy

nic obie
10-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Good job Aaron.

I'm noticing it being quite a bit faster too. I also like the new features.

nic

Kevin Murdock
10-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Aaron,

You mentioned a "commercial " router are you running soon. Out of curiousity, what are you using?

Thanks,
/Kevin

We'll be moving more equipment in this weekend, namely a UPS and another router.

_Aaron_

Aaron Koehl
10-27-2005, 2:27 PM
It's a secret. Security, ya know? :D
It's your basic Hamster wheel operated system, using the "Rat Finding The Cheese" algorithm to determine optimal routing paths.

Jim Becker
10-27-2005, 3:56 PM
You mentioned a "commercial " router are you running soon. Out of curiousity, what are you using?

If you play the percentages, it probably has a picture of a bridge on the front of it... :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
10-27-2005, 4:16 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the router Aaron's using...pretty apparent what the brand is. Thanks for all the hard work Aaron, Keith, Jackie, et al.

- Vaughn

Brent Smith
10-27-2005, 4:56 PM
Great job Aaron, and I find the Creek is running a lot faster than usual.

Brent

Lee DeRaud
10-27-2005, 5:02 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the router Aaron's using...pretty apparent what the brand is.Didn't know Dewalt made any stuff in a 9U form factor...;)

scott spencer
10-27-2005, 5:04 PM
Love what you've done with the place Aaron! ;)

Ray Arnold
10-27-2005, 5:08 PM
Thanks, great job !!!

Corey Hallagan
10-27-2005, 6:09 PM
Thanks Aaron for all you have done. I passed the link on to one person that couldn't get on with the regular www. address. Hopefully Bernie will get on now. My old bookmark worked fine.

Corey

Kevin Murdock
10-27-2005, 6:34 PM
I was trying the soft sell.

The company you speak of is the one I develop routers for. :)

/Kevin

If you play the percentages, it probably has a picture of a bridge on the front of it... :cool:

Corey Hallagan
10-27-2005, 7:05 PM
Aaron, I was in email conversation with member Bernie W. in Goodland Kansas and he cannot get in. I gave him the http://sawmillcreek.org and he still can't get in. Is there something he can do on his computer or is he not going to be able to get in until the www. is back up?

Thank you for your time.
Corey

John Miliunas
10-27-2005, 7:13 PM
Aaron, I was in email conversation with member Bernie W. in Goodland Kansas and he cannot get in. I gave him the http://sawmillcreek.org and he still can't get in. Is there something he can do on his computer or is he not going to be able to get in until the www. is back up?

Thank you for your time.
Corey

Corey, not Aaron here, but have Bernie try this: In the "Address" field of his browser, have him type in the actual IP address: 68.106.156.86 . Let us know if that works...:) :cool:

Jim Becker
10-27-2005, 7:22 PM
The company you speak of is the one I develop routers for.
I know... ;) ...hence my comment... :D It really makes sense that SMC utilize an "enterprise" class router given the huge and continually increasing traffic that we hit the server with.

I must say that I like having an "enterprise" class product on my own network at home now--the Linksys WRT54G is now just an AP upstairs where it gives better wireless coverage in this hard-to-accomodate house. The features of the new router/firewall are nicer and there is a lot more that I could do with it if I wanted. (It has a different logo on it than what we suspect the SMC router is emblazoned with, however, and not that of my own employer, either...)

Dave Falkenstein
10-27-2005, 7:22 PM
Corey, not Aaron here, but have Bernie try this: In the "Address" field of his browser, have him type in the actual IP address: 68.106.156.86 . Let us know if that works...:) :cool:

Hi - Dave here. I am also having trouble getting into the site. I was able to get in once by rebooting and then using my usual http://sawmillcreek.org address. Now, I must use the IP address to get here. Any ideas?? Thanks.

John Miliunas
10-27-2005, 7:31 PM
Hi - Dave here. I am also having trouble getting into the site. I was able to get in once by rebooting and then using my usual http://sawmillcreek.org address. Now, I must use the IP address to get here. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Dave, give it another day or two. Depending on where your request (when you hit your link for SMC) goes, it's probably just a matter of the DNS server it's getting to hasn't propogated the correct IP address yet. The DNS server is what takes the www.whatever (http://www.whatever) and "converts" it to where the request actually needs to be routed. You can only imagine how huge those databases must be!:) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
10-27-2005, 8:42 PM
Thanks John, I am having him try that!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2005, 8:56 PM
It worked. I was starting to have withdrawal. My lovely wife kept saying go ask Corey again. Thanks Corey. I appreciate it. Aaron did e-mail me and tell me it would be 48 to 72 hrs. for the www to work.

Corey Hallagan
10-27-2005, 9:02 PM
Cool .... glad you got in Bernie! Now you can settle down and the shakes will stop soon!! :)

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2005, 9:05 PM
Naw Corey it was the wife getting tired of me pestering her. She just let out a warhoop when I told her I was on. Not sure Corey if that was good or bad. The shakes are almost gone.:D Anyway good to be back on.

Thanks to Aaron and Keith. Thanks for your fast e-mail Aaron. It all is appreciated.

Aaron Koehl
10-28-2005, 9:00 AM
Vaughan,

That kept me snickering for hours.

Steve Clardy
10-28-2005, 9:17 AM
I'm pretty sure this is the router Aaron's using...pretty apparent what the brand is. Thanks for all the hard work Aaron, Keith, Jackie, et al.

- Vaughn

Lol. Good one!!

Paint it gray for me Vaughn.