PDA

View Full Version : Free pile of some fir, worth turning?

Michael Schneider
07-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Threre is a pile of freshly cut fir. Unknown type. Very green and just cut. Strong pine odor.

some sites say don't mess with pine, the grain is nice. Do you turn wet pine?

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question, but have conflicting info

John Keeton
07-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Not for me, but each to his own.

John K Jordan
07-18-2017, 1:31 PM
I think the thing to do is try it and see.

I don't know about fir, but some conifer species have gooey pitch which might be a messy problem. In KD lumber, this is "set" with heat.

JKJ

Thomas Canfield
07-18-2017, 10:24 PM
Be ready to wipe down your lathe with mineral spirit and watch out for slinging sap around the shop. I use shower curtains around my lathe that really take a sap shower when turning the green wood.

Rich Colvin
07-18-2017, 11:26 PM
Thomas,

I am interested in your pictures / experience with curtains around the lathe. I've thought about it, but haven't made the jump yet.

Rich

Jeffrey J Smith
07-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Check out the work of Bill Luce. He's turned a lot of Douglas Fir. It is truly an art. Not easy to do well - the variations in seasonal growth brings a big difference in how it cuts. Incredibly hard to get a good clean surface off the tool. Then there's the pitch...
Bill was severely injured in a motorcycle accident several months ago. Still recovering - it's going to be a long road back. His work is on the web (google) and shows up in Raffan's "Art of the Bowl".

Dale Miner
07-19-2017, 7:58 AM
Run, dont walk away.

Al Wasser
07-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Pines (many species), fir (several species), spruce (several species) don't lump them all in the same "no good" basket. Some wil turn well and some won't regardless of the species.

Jim Underwood
07-19-2017, 2:54 PM
Try it and see. But you'll definitely have to turn it twice for bowls. And use very sharp tools and a good technique.

I've turn a bit of kiln dried Fir and it makes some nice legs and ornaments.

Russell Neyman
07-21-2017, 12:44 PM
In a word: nope. It will be ugly, messy, and you'll hate it.

Scott Ticknor
07-21-2017, 1:27 PM
In large scale architectural turning ( Victorian style for example ) Douglas fir ,Cedar, Redwood all are well represented using mainly vertical grain. For bowl turning,it is a challenge for most as the wood doesn`t support the cut well.Cutting a flat grain bowl and then sandblasting the surface reveals a nice texture. If its free ,why not try it? Be your own judge.

Aaron Craven
07-21-2017, 4:20 PM
Overall, I'm not a fan of pine, but I've seen beautiful things made from wood I had previously rejected as worthless. I'm thinking green pine would be pretty messy because of the sap, but it shouldn't do any lasting damage to anything, so if you think you might want to give it a try, go for it!

I mean, hey... I've seen videos of Tim Yoder turning a can of refrigerated biscuits on a lark...

John K Jordan
07-21-2017, 5:00 PM
I mean, hey... I've seen videos of Tim Yoder turning a can of refrigerated biscuits on a lark...

This is my entry in the "turning food" category:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=364300&d=1500670699

JKJ

Thomas Canfield
07-21-2017, 9:58 PM
Thomas,

I am interested in your pictures / experience with curtains around the lathe. I've thought about it, but haven't made the jump yet.

Rich
Rich - I do not have any posts as such of my shower curtains, but the ideas are out there if you search . I buy oversize curtains from Amazon and use 3/4" or 1" EMT conduit hanging on ropes to adjust curtain to just touch the floor. The ropes allow for minor adjustment in height when needed. The curtains can be pulled to side when not needed. The curtains also help in winter with my little oil filled space heater warming up that area of shop more. My curtains are now so discolored from sap that I would hate to post a picture.

Jim Underwood
07-26-2017, 3:54 PM
It occurs to me to suggest turning an end grain bowl (without the pith). You'll have to adjust your thinking and technique for this kind of a bowl.

Michael Schneider
07-27-2017, 8:43 AM
Thanks folks. I ended up grabbing a couple of pieces. I cut out several blanks, and tossed some because of patches of goup. I ended up with several practice blanks.

Thank you all for your input.

PS. JKJ - do your horses start looking for a treat when you come out of your shop now? I like the carrot work :-)

John K Jordan
07-27-2017, 10:19 AM
PS. JKJ - do your horses start looking for a treat when you come out of your shop now? I like the carrot work :-)

Thanks! I think I'll turn a cushaw this year.

I had one last year I could have turned a 16 bowl from.

Horses are ALWAYS ready for a treat! We limit the hand-fed treats since it can teach them to be grabby and disrespectful. Some people believe giving horses treats will make friends out of them and make the horses love them. Nonsense! Sure they are eager and come running, but horses see people strictly as servers and waiters. Not, "Here he comes! I love that guy." but "Here comes the food. It's about time."

JKJ

Mel Fulks
07-27-2017, 12:30 PM
John, I've just added "horse translator" to a long list of your talents. And I think any careful viewing of old MISTER ED episodes will back your observation....but in a decidedly less funny fashion!

Jeffrey J Smith
07-28-2017, 1:57 AM
I was visiting with Dave from D-Way tools a week ago - he showed me a beatiful open-form bowl he had turned from Douglas fir. Turned green, dried with no noticeable warp. It was a tree that grew naturally in a forested area that had not been harvested previously - not from one of the local clearcut plantations. Didn't say, but I got the impression pitch wasn't a problem. I had several good sized Doug firs removed when building the new shop - think I'll have a go at it. Nothing wagered, nothing gained...