PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Toy Design

Russell Svenningsen
10-26-2005, 10:01 AM
The LOML has requested that I build a particular toy as a Christmas present for our son and our nephew, both 4. She describes it as a a toy that children sit on. It is a plank, with legs that hold it an acceptable distance from the ground and which has attached to it at the front, a steering wheel. She is asking that I modify the design to include a dashboard and toggle switches, etc., but that is not my main question.

SWMBO maintains that:

a. This is a common toy.
b. She played with many of them during her elementary school days.
c. I am a "boob" because I won't just "go build the thing" and keep hounding her for drawings, descriptions and the like.
d. I snore. This has nothing to do with the aforementioned project, but it is something that she maintains is true and which I vehemently deny because, hey, I've never heard it. Therefore it cannot be. Right? Right???!!!!:confused: I tried to tell her that I sleep deeply and may breathe heavily, but that's only the sounds of a man who has found the one true love of his life and, sleeping beside her, is amidst the sleep of a fully contented man. I don't think she buys it.:rolleyes:, but I digress.

I would like to know if any of you:

a. Know what I'm talking about?
b. May have one you could provide a picture for my perusal?
c. Perhaps have built one and have some dimensions to get me started?
d. Are sick of these stupid multiple choice lists I seem to be fond of writing this morning.
e. All of the above.

Have a great day, and thanks in advance.

Russell

Don Baer
10-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Russel,
I seem to remember a sort of a 4 wheeled bike that had a solid seat with 4 wheels. The rear whell were on a solid axel attached below the seat and the front wheels were on an axel attched to a large dowel that came up through the seat and had a steering wheel. The height of the seat, whells size etc was such the the little one could use their legs to propel themseves along and steer the front wheel. The whole thing was made of wood. I hope this helps. When I get a chance I'll do a cad drawing if your like.

Shelley Bolster
10-26-2005, 1:00 PM
Russell.....sorry to say this but us women have to stick together in a time like this.......
c. I am a "boob" because I won't just "go build the thing"

:D :D :D :D :D

Actually, I think Don has hit it on the head with his description but seeing that you are a snorer (and you are you know! :p ) you will probably need the help from the cad drawing that he has so kindly offered to produce!;)

Brett Baldwin
10-26-2005, 1:23 PM
From your description, this is what I'm thinking your SO is refering to...
http://www.onlinehokuspokus.co.uk/images/car.jpg

Of course that may be too simple for a 4 yr. old so possibly making something like this http://www.xinga.com/pic150/P22306.JPG in wood would give them a thrill.

Gary Sutherland
10-27-2005, 4:37 AM
??????????????

Gary Sutherland
10-27-2005, 4:45 AM
Or maybe......????

Actually, there are a number of things like this around. I'm not suggesting you copy these, but they're certainly a starting point for your own design.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-27-2005, 7:30 AM
I choose D!! Sorry, can't help with the design any :)

Russell Svenningsen
10-27-2005, 8:30 AM
Russel,
I seem to remember a sort of a 4 wheeled bike that had a solid seat with 4 wheels. The rear whell were on a solid axel attached below the seat and the front wheels were on an axel attched to a large dowel that came up through the seat and had a steering wheel. The height of the seat, whells size etc was such the the little one could use their legs to propel themseves along and steer the front wheel. The whole thing was made of wood. I hope this helps. When I get a chance I'll do a cad drawing if your like.

Don,

If you'd do a CAD drawing, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks for the offer. Everyone else, tahnks for ths pics! These will all go into helping me design this thing!

Shelly,

Have you been talking to my wife???!!!:p I refuse to believe that I am anything but a "silent sleeper" unless I see unimpeachable proof that says otherwise. I always tell her, "Are you sure it's not you or the cat?"

That always goes over well...........:D :D :o

Best,
Russell

Larry Reimer
10-27-2005, 8:31 AM
Russell, that sounds way too much like my house. Try this site.
http://www.classicwoodentoys.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/01/product-id/44333.html

Brian Hale
10-27-2005, 3:46 PM
I'm with you on this Russell... I don't snore either! :D

I don't know why she kicks me in the middle of the night :rolleyes:

Brian :)