PDA

View Full Version : Gonna need a bigger saw

George Bledsoe
10-26-2005, 9:30 AM
Do you think I can resaw this on my14" bandsaw:D
Big Southern Yellow Pine
Not sure what I will use it for but I just can't say NO!

Timo Christ
10-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Nice Log :)
How big is it (diameter)?

Donnie Raines
10-26-2005, 10:08 AM
I think you can. Make a little jig to ride in the mitre slot...you want to keep the log perfectly stable of coarse...and then make your slices. Be sure to color code the board to insure a bookmatched effect.

:rolleyes: :D

George Bledsoe
10-26-2005, 10:23 AM
It is about 10' long and measures 42' dia. I am not sure how I am going to cut it but it ought to be interesting.

Working on the miter sled idea may need to stiffen it up a bit so it don't flex.;)

The ugly side

Jeff Sudmeier
10-26-2005, 10:24 AM
If you are a turner I have seen some great looking turnings out of Pine, yes PINE! :)

Alan Turner
10-27-2005, 4:41 AM
George,
I think I'd just wedge it apart into quarters, and then quartersaw it. Anyone got a 12 foot froe? (:

Stan Thigpen
10-27-2005, 6:48 AM
George, have I got what you need! We lost our whole grove of 100 year-old pecan trees to Katrina at our Miss. farm. My wife could not stand the thought of letting all of this wood go to waste, so she encouraged me to purchase a portable bandsaw mill. We went to the Ag. Expo. in Moultrie Ga. last week and drove off with a Baker 18M sawmill. It has a 20 hp Honda engine, will cut up to 30" diameter logs 20' in length. Now if you could just roll your tree to our place in Miss.... Oops, did you say 42" in diameter? That may present a problem.

Corey Hallagan
10-27-2005, 8:07 AM
I love southern pine George! Remember when Sutherland lumber sold yellow pine all the time? Can't get it no more. Roofed my dads house and that is what is on the roof instead of plywood, pieces of southern pine in pristine condition. Good luck on getting it cut!

Corey

George Bledsoe
10-27-2005, 8:42 AM
Things go so much better using hydraulics:D
The log was heavy, close to 4000 lbs so we cut it in half, and then I cut the half in half. I decided not to take the other half as it has some big knots that would make less then great lumber.

It was fun to use all the cool tools the 066 w/3' bar was fun so was the skidder and the dump truck made unloading real easy for a change.

I will post some more once I start milling it up.

Jim Becker
10-27-2005, 8:45 AM
Too bad you are in Iowa...Hearne could easily cut it for you with their 67" bandmill. Check the mills in your area to see if anyone has a similar setup. You want the folks that "specialize" in flitches and other larger lumber supply.

George Bledsoe
10-27-2005, 9:00 AM
Corey

It is still available, in fact I got some big 2XSYP from Builders and built my bench with it. Milled those big SYP on my 4" Delta portable jointer, that was quite a job.:p

Roy Wall
10-27-2005, 9:34 AM
Corey

It is still available, in fact I got some big 2XSYP from Builders and built my bench with it. Milled those big SYP on my 4" Delta portable jointer, that was quite a job.:p

Nice Bench George!! Looks like a 9 footer!!!! You'll have to come down to the KCWWing show in February.......about 20 of us gather and have breakfast and go to the show.......get lunch........it's a lot of fun!!

George Bledsoe
10-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Milled up the SYP on Saturday. It was interesting as I don't mill much pine, not real common in these parts. It turned out ok and I like the blue stain in the outside boards I have some ideas for those. I don't use a lot of pine but I am kinda sick of cutting walnut and oak so it was something different. I also managed to cut up a maple tree but that is a totally different story.
This is how it works without the help of hydraulics:D

Timo Christ
10-31-2005, 2:43 PM
George,
nice 14" Band Mill !
Now i get it...
Are the wheels really only 14"?
Some day i will have one, too ;)
Thanks for the pics!
Timo

Keith Foster
10-31-2005, 8:40 PM