PDA

View Full Version : Found this in Florence Italy - What is it?

Tom Jones III
07-16-2017, 10:10 AM
I recently took a trip to Florence with LOML. She was very patient as I photographed every piece of wood carving that I saw. I really loved this door from the Palazzo Pitti and I'm thinking about reproducing a couple of these panels but I can't figure out what kind of wood it is. This is certainly not the walnut that I get around here. Any ideas on what this is?

BTW, If anyone needs some carving inspiration I took about 75 pictures of different carvings in Florence.

david beck
07-18-2017, 6:27 AM
I dont know what it is but like you said, its not the walnut i have access to either. I can only imagine how much fun it was getting these photos. Oh,, im not savy to this lingo is LOML.. love of my life?

Malcolm Schweizer
07-18-2017, 5:55 PM
I hiked across Italy and loved Florence. The doors were a favorite of mine as well. I am going to say that looks like mahogany or cedar.

Did you climb the Duomo? Do you just crave gelato every day now?

Warren West
08-25-2017, 8:57 PM
I hiked across Italy and loved Florence. The doors were a favorite of mine as well. I am going to say that looks like mahogany or cedar.

Did you climb the Duomo? Do you just crave gelato every day now?

I think it is Mahogany or Italian Walnut.

Mel Fulks
08-25-2017, 9:23 PM
What happened to the other replies in this thread? I had one and it's gone .along with others.

Bruce Page
08-25-2017, 10:51 PM
Mel, you must be thinking of another thread. This thread has not had any editing or deletions.

Mel Fulks
08-25-2017, 11:05 PM
Bruce, thanks for checking. Maybe that door photo is in two threads,I should have done some checking before posting.