PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Design input needed

Colin Smith_
07-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Hi everyone,

So I’m looking to build a new workbench (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/workbench) in the next week or so, and wanted a few opinions on what I should do. First off I want a solid bench (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/bench) top, I can’t decide between 2×4’s and 2×6’s. I’m on a low budget but is it worth it to pay more and do the 2×6’s? Or will 2×4’s be better? I am thinking of making it 8 foot long and 24” deep, and the height I don’t really know about, I’m about 5’9”- 5’10”, so any height suggestions would be awesome!
Also if you have any designs I would appreciate them. I can't do any lumber bigger because I don't have a table saw to rip material down. But I have a small electric hand plane to flatten out the lumber to make it square. If you have any suggestions for the lower portion of the bench I'm open to suggestions as I don't exactly know what I want to do.
I'm also just starting out in woodworking so I could use all the tips that anyone has.

If you think of anything I should consider changing please let me know, I want to make this workbench (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/workbench) the best I can
Thanks

michael langman
07-14-2017, 12:32 PM
Colin, Look up Paul Sellers Builds a Workbench on the web. There is a lot to learn from him.

Osvaldo Cristo
07-14-2017, 12:46 PM
If you are starting on woodworking, perhaps you can find useful my own experience: when I starting on "serious" woodworking I decided to construct my own workbench as one of my first projects but someone advised me it could be a wrong step. When just starting you simply do not know what do you will need for your developing skills and style. Just purchase a relatively cheap workbench or construct one very basic one and afterwards, when knowing better your needs, you will be at better position to go for your "dream" workbench!

BTW I am yet using my 25-year old workbench purchased then... it cost me probably something less than USD 200 in current money and after some (recent) scrapping it looks "almost" new and completely functional. :D

Good luck!

Greg Hines, MD
07-14-2017, 12:51 PM
When I built my workbench about 12 years ago, I used the "24 hour workbench" from Popular Woodworking. It uses a laminated plywood top, and I used 4 layers in it. It has remained rock solid for the time, and plywood holds bench dogs, Wonder Dogs, etc without any trouble.

Doc

Charles Wiggins
07-14-2017, 1:25 PM
You may want to take the time to look at Christopher Schwarz'
The Workbench Design Book: The Art & Philosophy of Building Better Benches (https://www.amazon.com/Workbench-Design-Book-Philosophy-Building/dp/1440310408/)
It might be available at a library near you. If not, they should be able to get it for you through Interlibrary Loan. It covers several designs, and more importantly lays out a set of design principles you can follow to guide you in adapting any design to you specific need.

Colin Smith_
07-14-2017, 2:28 PM
If you are starting on woodworking, perhaps you can find useful my own experience: when I starting on "serious" woodworking I decided to construct my own workbench as one of my first projects but someone advised me it could be a wrong step. When just starting you simply do not know what do you will need for your developing skills and style. Just purchase a relatively cheap workbench or construct one very basic one and afterwards, when knowing better your needs, you will be at better position to go for your "dream" workbench!

BTW I am yet using my 25-year old workbench purchased then... it cost me probably something less than USD 200 in current money and after some (recent) scrapping it looks "almost" new and completely functional. :D

Good luck!

I thought about buying one, but i feel that it would be better for me to build my own, as it would be made how I like it. I planned that when I want a new bench later this one will become my assembly table. Is this a mistake or do you really suggest I buy one to start?
-Colin

Matt Day
07-14-2017, 3:10 PM
I suggest you build your own. My first bench, which is now used for storage, is built out of 2x4's and MDF. It worked great until I got to the point where I could spend the time and money on a more solid bench. Don't go crazy if you're just starting out.

michael langman
07-14-2017, 4:18 PM
That is not a bad idea Colin. If you are going to buy a tablesaw,, jointer or planer it is a good idea to make your assembly table the same height as your machines, so you can use as outdeed table,infeed table.
There are a lot of bench builds on web to give you ideas about how to build things.