PDA

View Full Version : Simple Box, to hold some candy

steven c newman
07-13-2017, 8:42 PM
Decided to wait and varnish two projects...so, here goes the next project.

Desk will be delivered to the Boss' Pastor, a week from Sunday....gives me a week to get a little box done. Both will be delivered at the same time.

Had a board, planed down to about 7/16" or some..
Hoping to get all the parts but the bottom out of this one 6" wide board.
Mitre saw to cut the parts.
Laid them out. Two ends, a front and a back, and way down there is a panel to put into the lid....
1/4" wide finger joints Not handsawed, would take way too long, bandsaw made these cuts.....it started to make a butch of racket....:eek:
Turned out the lower wheel had a blow out..
About like them "Road Gators" Semis leave on the highway? Bandsaw still ran ok, and was even quieter:rolleyes:
Was going to use the same chisel I laid out the fingers to chop them with..
Found a little bit better one to use..
1/4" Firmer chisel by Buck Brothers....the ones BEFORE HD came about.

So, now I have all four ends of the sides "fingered" need to...No Mountain Dew!? Breaktime.
So. maybe I can get the ends fingered up tomorrow? have about an inch of water running across the shop floor, right now:mad:
Right where I have to stand, too.:eek::mad:
had to yank the drain pipe from the washing machine out of the floor drain....and then listen to the whirlpool as all that water drained out.
maybe tomorrow, I can work with DRY feet? Stay tuned...

Randal Blair
07-14-2017, 7:59 AM
nice project. Very sorry to hear about the plumbing problems. Hope no fine woods got damaged.

steven c newman
07-14-2017, 9:27 PM
I keep all the lumber up off the floor as much as I can...the "good" lumber is upstairs, out of the shop.

Floor is drying out nicely, be ready for work tomorrow..baring any more gulley-washer storms...

steven c newman
07-14-2017, 9:30 PM
Next up, when I get back to the shop to work...the two ends need the fingers done. Then comes the time for the Stanley #45 to make a bunch of grooves Bottom panel, lid panel, and a pair of offset grooves to split the lid off the case. Maybe a weekend's work?

steven c newman
07-15-2017, 5:58 PM
Shop has dried out, yard sales seen....maybe get back to a little woodworking, now?

Corner #1 was chopped and fitted..
I'd rather have the fingers a tad long, than too short....while it was sitting here, I laid out for the next corner
SHARP pencil to mark the lines, saw on the waste side of those lines..chop out the waste, and dry fit
Then lay out and chop the last two corners..
And we have something that looks like a box. Needs a lid made out of the upper 2", and a groove to house a panel in the lid, a groove to house the Poplar panel for the bottom. Then run a third groove...to split off the lid from the box. All of the grooves will be by a plane..
Once the inside grooves are done, and the two panels shaped to fit, I can glue the box together......then a fourth groove to split the lid off is run around, just below the inside groove, leaving a lip as a seal.

At least that is the plan...hinges will be the hard part....awful thin back there...stay tuned.

steven c newman
07-16-2017, 8:42 AM
Maintenance for the Stanley 45 this morning, and set it up to plough a few grooves. May also hone the back of the cutters, have been getting used a bunch lately, might need a trip to the strop..

Need to build a jig....needs to be able to hold not only the 12" long sides, but the 6" ends as well. Thin boards, so the plane's fence will have to be out in space....so it won't rub on the side of the bench.

IF I can get the grooves milled, I can then size the top and bottom panels for a slightly loose fit. Being built in a not so DRY shop, when I take the box out of the shop the panels will shrink a hair.

Then I can glue the parts together...AFTER I mark where the outside groove needs to be. Would be kind of hard to see, otherwise, after the box is closed up and glued.

Stay tuned...we may be getting a "Groovy" feeling...

steven c newman
07-16-2017, 6:00 PM
Had a road trip come up...just about the time I was ready for the glue up to start...
363969Jig in use..
363970 After a few quick runs on the ends..
Adjust the jig and do the long sides....reset the fence on the Stanley 45 Plough plane
And make the middle grooves..
Where the lid will be split off at. Used a pine scrap to get a few measurements...
Almost like a story stick. showing me how small the panels needed to be.....I also needed to thin a few edges....
Top panel I can plane a bevel, like a raised panel thingy....
Millers Falls No.8 seemed to work nicely enough...stay tuned

steven c newman
07-16-2017, 6:12 PM
Ok, I beveled the edges of the panel for the lid....had to check for fit as I went along..
I worked the end grain first, then along the edges
Dry fit. Need to plane an edge or two, fit is a tad too tight, yet
Now, the bottom panel, no need to get fancy
Rebates all around. My "shoulder plane to do most of the work...end grain was bandsawn first, then cleaned up with the plane
The Poplar was a little rough sawn...same #3 sized plane to smooth it out...
Shoulder plane,, and the other two in use..
I used the marking gauge to make a line the shoulder plane could follow, until it could be leveled out and cutting flat.
Then sweep the floor, time for the road trip.....
I MIGHT mosey down that way in a little while, and get Elmer involved...and a bunch of clamps....LOTS of clamps.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-16-2017, 7:04 PM
3 hours in the shop, this morning...was almost set to do the glue up.....had a road trip to do instead. Might have got a wee bit done, today?

steven c newman
07-16-2017, 9:22 PM
Went back to the shop....panels have been fine tuned for a better fit. One was even sanded.:eek:
Then the fight was on..
Can not..
have..
TOO many clamps
have dried Elmer's under my shoes, peeling the stuff off my fingers again....
Of the large clamp inventory in the shop....all but two are here.
Will let this sit overnight. Bench is too full to do any more work. Thunderstorms are rolling through town....have to keep an eye on the shop floor, again.

Right now, almost done with an Ice Cold Guinness Draught.....may be another before too long...
Stay tuned, maybe tomorrow afternoon, I can "split" the lid off?

steven c newman
07-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Hmmm, Monday means the shop is usually closed for the day......wonder IF that includes removing a forest of clamps?

Have to move the Standing Desk to a spot where I can apply a coat of varnish to it.....but not into the shop...

Maybe after a while, I may try to get something done.....

steven c newman
07-17-2017, 7:11 PM
Road trip...supplies have been bought. Even some "brush cleaner" and tack cloths! Latch for the candy box, parts for the Langdon Mitre box.

Varnish is on the desk, will need steel wooled and wiped off, before coat #2 can start.. Bought "foot pads" to add to the bottom of the legs....just nail-on ones.

Still have BUNCH of 4/4 x 6" Curly Maple and Flame Cherry to use.....and now have a few board feet of Black Walnut 1x4s....and plenty of 1/2" thick Poplar boards....Might ake a while to work my way through all of this. May need to research a few project ideas....BTW.....there is this 4/4 x 13-1/4" x 48" solid plank....Has a split, but not too bad.....thinking a table top of some sort...picture IF anyone wants to see it....?

steven c newman
07-17-2017, 7:31 PM
Leaned onto a handtruck..
Last owner was trying out a colour of stain, when he found that crack..
Without the stain. Has some figure to it, though...
About half of the supply. There is a part of a sheet of 3/4" plywood in there, as well...blue bag is full of patio cushions....might be awhile before I am using just old pine boards, again....

steven c newman
07-18-2017, 8:48 AM
Teaser from last night..
The Crew wanted to do a little work late last night....
Maybe sometime today, I can get the lid off?

steven c newman
07-18-2017, 1:25 PM
Utility knife to cut most of the lid off,....needed the backsaw on the ends?

Shoulder plane to thin the lip a bit, until the lid would fit the box..
Reason the backsaw was needed? The grooves had gone off-course there...decided to just level them out, and add cherry pieces shaped like this..[ to each end
Scraps from making the end fillers were re-used..
A little Elmer's a bit of Cherry sawdust, then sand it flush..
So,, now I am waiting on glue again. Hinges I bought a while back...were buried on the Mitre box Bench...
Not sure IF they will work...yet. Latch isn't a problem...hinges MAY be too small...or...not long enough...
Stay tuned...

Andrew Pitonyak
07-18-2017, 2:03 PM
OK, I can't take it any more....... The title says that the box will hold candy...... Exactly how much candy do you have Steve? :D

Some years back, I took a class on making hand cut dovetails and the box was roughly 6" square (give or take, mostly give). Your box looks like a large stash that you might need for a bunch of kids around Halloween.

So, I assume that you mean something other than candy that you will eat; or do you really have that much candy?

Box is looking good so far.

steven c newman
07-18-2017, 2:07 PM
Candy for kids at Sunday School.....box is 6" wide, by 12" long.....final sizes TBD...

Andrew Pitonyak
07-18-2017, 3:28 PM
Candy for kids at Sunday School.....box is 6" wide, by 12" long.....final sizes TBD...

Of course...... That makes sense.

steven c newman
07-18-2017, 9:13 PM
Lid has been fixed, and fitted to the box. Holes from the grooves have been patched....coat of that smelly BLO was applied.....may need a second coat..we'll see

Then, tomorrow, I'll see about adding the latch and hinges....as soon as I figure out which is the front of the box...

steven c newman
07-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Ok, pictures!
After a second coat of BLO...first kind of soaked in
View from the top..
And one of the ends....red stripe? Repair
Due to that Stanley 45 sliding of course....Black Cherry scrap. Took some real fine tuning...before and after the glue up...
Trying to decide which will be the "front" of the box...so I can add the latch. Hinges are also to be installed, once that smelly BLO dries.
Hmmm...
stay tuned, this could take a while...

Mike Baker 2
07-19-2017, 8:15 AM
Nice candy box!
And I am jealous of your wood stash. :D

michael langman
07-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Enjoyed the post Steven.
I'm sure the kids will love the nice box you made too.

Rick Malakoff
07-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Nice Show! The end grain on the alternating fingers make for a good contrast and of course the Red Stripe, but I do prefer mine in bottles.:D
I especially liked the way you were able to overcome a possible disaster, great work at problem solving.
Rick

steven c newman
07-19-2017, 2:27 PM
Hinges have been installed.....after a long, drawn out fight...I hate hinges! Wasn't in the mood after that, so when the latch was having "issues"...it went straight into the trash can. Will go out and get a different style later today...Added another coat of BLO, for now. I did not add any finish to the inside.....it is for candy....

steven c newman
07-19-2017, 11:38 PM
May call this done...
Three coats of BLO....not sure IF it will need a top coat of varnish...
Latch may just have to do...was having "issues" withthe other one...until it flew off into the trash can

One of these days...I might get to like hinges....this wasn't one of them. They are on, they work, leave them be.

steven c newman
07-20-2017, 6:39 PM
May be a couple weeks BEFORE the next project can start....fractured my right thumb today, working on building the steel frames for a gazebo, beam fell on it, while I was holding the drill-driver...broke a chip off the bone. Sitting here with a splint on the whole right hand..and me being right handed...Dr. Feelgood is in the house.

Thumb turned all kinds of colours....was today Monday, or something?

Mike Baker 2
07-20-2017, 6:44 PM
Booooo!
Sorry to hear of your injury, and hope you heal up fast.
Feel good/better soon. :D

James Pallas
07-20-2017, 7:38 PM
I hope your heal quickly. Things like that can happen when you escape a dungeon to the outdoors. Some cold brew may help the healing a bit.
Jim

steven c newman
07-20-2017, 8:48 PM
This is what fell down onto my thumb...direct hit right behind the thumbnail..
8' beam that needed to be screwed into the corner post. Visegrips finger clamp slipped off, and everything fell down, was trying to get a self-drilling screw to do it's job...
right about here, thumb was hurting too much to continue...

Still have a LOT of Curly Maple left, and 7 bf of Black WALNUT. May do an inventory to see just what there is in "stock".....

Archie England
07-22-2017, 8:59 AM
Get well soon! Hope you heal quickly!!!! Great box project.

steven c newman
07-22-2017, 9:07 PM
Box will be delivered tomorrow, after church..
Sitting inside the desk, like this.
Went with a simpler latch...
Did I mention how much I HATE doing hinges?
Will be up to Pastor, to keep this filled...
6" tall, by 5" wide, by 1' long.

Need to get to where I can use a pencil enough to draw a few plans up....
Someone had tried out a stain on this plank. Should be able to plane it off. Plank is 4/4 x 13" by 49" long...add some Walnut on the ends, and along the edges...top for a chest of drawers...should be a funproject to do...