PDA

View Full Version : Old rough turned White Ash bowl returned and finished.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-13-2017, 3:33 PM
With all this unusual cool wet weather we have been having here, I did get some indoor time and finished this bowl that I had pulled out.

A turner (used to live in Alaska) did ask for a bowl he could return on his lathe, max swing 16”, I told him I wasn’t in a habit of selling my rough turned bowls, but would make an exception, as I have known him on the turning forums from way back, so I pulled a 15 ½” one out of my overhead storage and send him a picture of it, as he liked Ash with the dark coloration, well he didn’t like this one much and let know he wasn’t going to spend much on a bowl like that.

OK, so I said fine, I’ll keep it, now I didn’t want to put it back up again and so mounted it on the lathe, then over a couple of weeks time I returned and finished it.

The wood was pretty hard by now, having been rough turned in 2003 and sat inside all these years.

This is the result, 15 ½” White Ash bowl with handles and with some dark heart coloration, Polymerized Tung oil finish.

Any and all comments welcome.

363809 363810 363811 363812

Brian Kent
07-13-2017, 4:26 PM
Oh, I like this one a whole lot!

Louis Harvill
07-13-2017, 6:49 PM
Beautiful, love the finish.

Sid Matheny
07-13-2017, 7:25 PM
Another mighty fine bowl from your shop Leo!

Robert Hayward
07-13-2017, 8:48 PM
Leo you did a nice job on this one.

Thomas Canfield
07-13-2017, 10:55 PM
That wood should have been dry after 13+ years. The grain pattern and extra color give a special look and the little extra at rim makes for a very nice bowl for someone.

David Delo
07-14-2017, 6:51 AM
Very pretty indeed Leo. Pic #3 really shows off the beauty and character of ash.

Grant Wilkinson
07-14-2017, 9:23 AM
Up to your usual high standards, Leo. The guy was nuts to refuse the blank.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Oh, I like this one a whole lot!

Thank you Brian :)

Beautiful, love the finish.

Thanks for commenting Louis :)

Another mighty fine bowl from your shop Leo!

I do appreciate you commenting Sid :D

Leo you did a nice job on this one.

Thank you for looking and comment Robert :)

That wood should have been dry after 13+ years. The grain pattern and extra color give a special look and the little extra at rim makes for a very nice bowl for someone.

Thank you Thom, yes it certainly was dry and hard after all this time :), it already has new owners that have a larger family and with friends their other salad bowl (from me) was getting too small, this one will do for a while I think :D

Very pretty indeed Leo. Pic #3 really shows off the beauty and character of ash.

Thank you David, yes Ash is often a pretty wood with often special character showing :)

Up to your usual high standards, Leo. The guy was nuts to refuse the blank.

Hi Grand, thanks for taking the time to comment :), not sad about the refusal, it certainly got me off the hook, as I didn’t really want to sell it in the first place ;)