PDA

View Full Version : chainsaw in shop

joe zarnitz
07-13-2017, 9:03 AM
looking for comments on using either corded or battery operated inside for cutting logs----tks.joe

lynn cranmer
07-13-2017, 9:15 AM
If you are inside I would go for a corded chainsaw. I use a Worx( around $100) powerful little guy. The new battery powered saws are great,but more $$$.

Grant Wilkinson
07-13-2017, 9:29 AM
I have the Makita corded and it does an excellent job inside the garage and the shop. Make sure to use heavy duty extension cords.

Pat Barry
07-13-2017, 9:36 AM
What is a good battery operated chainsaw? I recently bought a gas chainsaw and kinda wished I had gone with a battery one. For the in shop application, I would really want to use the battery version as the cords always seem to get in the way, tangled up, trip hazard, etc in my shop with my clumsy feet.

Peter Christensen
07-13-2017, 9:48 AM
I have a Husqvarna corded chainsaw that is very good. My father had a Stihl corded saw that he used to cut his firewood with when he was older and not comfortable with a gas powered one. He cut at least 5 logging truck loads of pine and birch to heat his house in a 10 year period before it quit. Both companies make cordless chainsaws who's batteries fit other garden tools like hedge trimmers, string trimmers etc.

John K Jordan
07-13-2017, 11:52 AM
looking for comments on using either corded or battery operated inside for cutting logs----tks.joe

Joe, I've had a couple of corded electric chain saws and have used some others. The one I use now is a Stihl and it works extremely well. It cuts so well I often use it just outside the shop too instead of firing up the gas powered saws. (easy to start :), quiet, and safer with instant off)

I personally would not want a battery operated chainsaw for inside use since AC power is available. Not only will the AC motor provide more power but I do not want to deal with having to maintain the batteries and possibly have to shell out a small fortune to replace batteries five years from now. A cordless saw might be nice for remote use but a gas powered saw will be better for almost every outdoor use I can imagine, except perhaps for vandalizing things in the middle of the night. :eek:

The Stihl is not cheap but I have not yet regretted buying good tools.

JKJ

Dave Fritz
07-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Joe, I went through a Craftsman and two Harbor Freight corded saws before I finally bought a Stihl. I would have been money ahead to buy the Stihl right away. My wife has a Stihl battery operated string trimmer that's fantastic. I see the battery operated Stihl uses the same batteries. I did get an Easy To Start Stihl gas saw but if my shoulders get any worse I may take a long look at the battery operated Stihl.

Michael Schneider
07-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Joe,

I had makita lxt batteries, so I bought a makita lxt x2 14" (Uses 2 batteries for 36v and 10a/hour battery). Makita bought dolmer a couple of years ago, and they have heavy input on the design. Dolmer was a german company, similar in quality to stihl.

I also have stihl (big electric) and makita 14" corded saws that are my first choices when I have power. The Stihl is a horse and the makita is agile and pretty strong (not as strong as the Stihl though).

The 14" cordless is great to keep in the vehicle for wood "finds". The 14" cordless is about the same power as a good 50cc chainsaw.

Good luck,
Michael

andy bessette
07-13-2017, 12:51 PM
The corded Poulan Pro has done a lot of work for me and was a terrific bargain. I would not consider a battery powered saw.

Mike Goetzke
07-13-2017, 1:57 PM
I recently bought an EGO battery powered chainsaw. I have tried it out a few times and it cuts every bit as well as my Makita corded. The Makita enabled me to trim up bowl blanks in my garage and on the side of my house with greatly reduced noise and now the EGO is even quieter and eliminated the cord. I'm about ready to sell my Makita - through Home Depot I get a 90 day return window on the EGO.

Should mention this chainsaw is part of EGO's 56V Power+ series of tools (interchangeable batteries). This chainsaw uses a brushless 1200W 6800RPM motor. Much higher chain speed than many corded/battery operated saws.

Mike

Leo Van Der Loo
07-13-2017, 2:55 PM
I bought a couple of small and cheaper electric chainsaws some 20 years ago, and each one gave up in short order, in October of 2001 I bought the biggest made in the US 16” Poulan Pro chainsaw.

I have given that saw a workout, as cutting large pieces where I would have to cut from both sides are not exceptional, I also have a larger Stihl gas chainsaw, but don’t use it in the shop, as I don’t run well on 2 stroke fumes ;), so electric it is.

The main thing with these saws is to keep the chain sharp and they will cut well, especially with the narrow chains as they do not require the power like the wider chains need.

As I would rough turn all the pieces that came from a whole log, the saw would get used a lot in a short time, just roughing would get large amounts of shavings, even when walking and standing on them it became a thick layer, but I tried to rough all before cleaning the shavings if I could, saw on shavings in this picture.

Two pictures to better show how deep the shavings are, the cutting block I used next to my legs and in the next one how much of that block is still showing :)

363805 363806

Brice Rogers
07-13-2017, 3:19 PM
I bought a Ryobi 19V chain saw because it used the same batteries as my drill. It is very pathetic. The chain speed is way too low. It is basically just a toy. I also have a low-end 120 vac chainsaw that I use inside. It does a very decent job. In fact, I often use it outside also.

Adam Petersen
07-13-2017, 4:23 PM
I'll echo the 18" Worx, it works awesome. I can't speak for other saws though I'm sure the higher end ones are great. I too would stick to corded for the shop and gas for the field.

Harold Balzonia
07-13-2017, 5:12 PM
My 14" Mikita corded chainsaw is a little dynamo... I keep the chain sharp and the oil level filled up and I feel like it will last forever.

If going corded, use proper (ie minimum 12/3) gauge extension cord. They pull a lot of juice!

Jay Mullins
07-13-2017, 9:54 PM
I've had electric ( corded ) chain saws for several years as well as gas saws. My present one stared out as a 14" saw and I added an 18" bar and chain. I routinely cut pecan, elm, oak, hickory and whatever else comes my way. The saw does well and doesn't bother my neighbors with the noise. It is important to keep the chain sharp and not force the saw , just let it cut at a slower pace. I haven't used a battry saw thus far, but I can see the value in having one in the trunk of the car though.

Bill Blasic
07-14-2017, 6:25 AM
If you are going to cut branches and such across the grain I'm sure that any electric or perhaps battery driven will work. Cutting with the grain as cutting out the pith is where the rubber meets the road. The Makita corded is a nice saw but with its thin chain it is not up to the vigors of daily cutting with the grain. This is where the big Stihl electric stands above the others. Using the same chains as it gas powered brothers the saw has the power to do most everything its gas powered brethren can do and do it easily. Yes this comes at a cost but if you want an indoor saw that does big work it does cost significantly more. I had 4 corded saws a Craftsman, a Husqvarna, a Makita and the big Stihl which I wrote an article on. I still have and use the Makita for normal stuff but the Stihl is what is used for heavy duty work.

Louis Harvill
07-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Sir,
Can't find the Poland Pro corded on Amazon. What's a source? Saint Jo, TX.

Peter Blair
07-14-2017, 10:12 AM
I use the same saw as Leo. I recently contacted Oregon and got advise on a 18" bar. The 16 was just a little small for me. It cuts like a dream with this new bar and thin chain.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Sir,
Can't find the Poland Pro corded on Amazon. What's a source? Saint Jo, TX.

As Poulan is owned by Husqvarna now, it looks like they have discontinued this saw, Amazon used to carrie it and others.

Works has a low cost 15 amp 18” electric chiansaa that gets good reviews, though I have no experience with it, Amazon carries it, maybe worth a look, for just a bit over $100--.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-14-2017, 11:46 AM
I use the same saw as Leo. I recently contacted Oregon and got advise on a 18" bar. The 16 was just a little small for me. It cuts like a dream with this new bar and thin chain.

I thought about that Peter, but then 2 more inches wasn’t going to really make a difference, I found cutting angled up till the nose starts cutting and then going at it from the other side doing the same thing, and back and forth, I could keep the nose out of the wood and cut some pretty large lumps of wood without the chance of kickback, anyway that worked for me :)

Peter Blair
07-15-2017, 11:21 AM
Hey Leo! That WAS my process as well. I have a lathe with a 16" swing and often want to cut blanks a little longer. The new thin bar and blade make short work of what used to take me quite a bit of time. Oh and by the way, my chain saw skills are not the best and I often didn't get a nice flat side to work off on my band saw. Your comment about Husky taking over Poulain is interesting. I had not heard that and wonder if they will just do away with the saw I have. For an electric it is a real work horse!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-15-2017, 3:56 PM
Hey Leo! That WAS my process as well. I have a lathe with a 16" swing and often want to cut blanks a little longer. The new thin bar and blade make short work of what used to take me quite a bit of time. Oh and by the way, my chain saw skills are not the best and I often didn't get a nice flat side to work off on my band saw. Your comment about Husky taking over Poulain is interesting. I had not heard that and wonder if they will just do away with the saw I have. For an electric it is a real work horse!

Peter Husqvarna has bought up several companies and stopped it’s gun manufacturing, as that was it’s origin. here’s a quick glimpse, and AFAIK there are some more that are not mentioned.

My lathe that I changed to be able to turn wood (metal lathe) has a swing of 34” max, I hardly ever use the bandsaw for the bowl blanks, as it is to difficult to manhandle large pieces of wood.

So I use the chainsaw to lob the corners off and then use the lathe to do the rest.

andy bessette
07-15-2017, 10:17 PM
Leo--that must be some machine!

Bob Bouis
10-12-2017, 3:04 PM
I am not a fan of electric chainsaws, generally, but they're far better and more reliable than cheap gas powered saws.

I would recommend not lifting the logs up to cut them. Logs are much heavier than chainsaws. I have a little stand made out of 4x4s that I roll the logs onto to make cuts. It holds them 4"-6" off the ground and that's plenty. It's not pleasant to bend over but it's the best way, I think.

Get a hand truck with pneumatic tires for moving the logs around and you're set.

Roger Fournier
10-12-2017, 3:44 PM
I too have the 18" Worx corded electric chainsaw and have been completely satisfied with it. It doesn't get used every day
or even every month, for that matter, but it has worked fine for the couple of years I've had it.

Peter Blair
10-13-2017, 4:31 PM
I agree with Andy. According to my research the batteries do not last that long if one is preparing turning blanks. I use my Poulan in the shop all time and don't even notice any problem with cords . . . I also have a small Honda generator and sometimes find it easier to use away from my shop than starting the gas saw unless there is a lot of HEAVY cutting to do.

Mike Goetzke
10-14-2017, 10:28 PM
I agree with Andy. According to my research the batteries do not last that long if one is preparing turning blanks. I use my Poulan in the shop all time and don't even notice any problem with cords . . . I also have a small Honda generator and sometimes find it easier to use away from my shop than starting the gas saw unless there is a lot of HEAVY cutting to do.

Did your research include the EGO CS-1600 chainsaw with a 5.0 or 7.5Ahr battery?