PDA

View Full Version : The AAW goblet contest

Jim Ketron
10-25-2005, 9:30 PM
The AAW goblet contest results are up if any of you where keeping up with it.

Travis Stinson
10-25-2005, 9:36 PM
So THAT'S how it feels to have someone look down their nose while they're talking at you..............
Hmmmm, no Bosch hollowing tools in my future.:rolleyes:

Keith Burns
10-25-2005, 9:50 PM
Jim, thanks for your comments on the contest. You stood up and spoke your mind and I am proud of you for doing so. I agree with your comments. If I had of known the bias for the judging I wouldn't have entered. I didn't expect to win, place or even show, but at least it should have been more fair with a panel, or by a vote, not by a bias judge. In my opinion Travis should have won, I mean that ! By the way I had guessed the 1st and 2nd place winners.

Travis Stinson
10-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Keith, I would've been tickled to get 15th after seeing some of those fantastic late entries. I appreciate Jim speaking up too.:cool:

Chris Barton
10-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Very interesting, but, ultimately it is a testament to the rather meager traffic that site sees. At one time there was a discussion that their website be limited to only AAW members, to which I posted my opinion that they would have about 2 posts a month if they did that. Unfortunately, it is often this type of bias and snobbery that leads to the demise of an organization...

Andy Hoyt
10-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Were the winners members of the org?

Just jumped over there and read the posts. Good words, Jim. And the response? Nothing but manufactured low quality spin. The only way to survive judging practices and philosophies like that is to know who the judge will be and then turn to his favor. Of course, they knew this early on which is why they signed on a judge who'd have to be replaced at the last minute after he blew the country.

John Miliunas
10-25-2005, 10:58 PM
OK, I give up!:o Where are you guys finding this contest thing???:confused: :cool:

Lee DeRaud
10-25-2005, 11:02 PM
OK, I give up!:o Where are you guys finding this contest thing???:confused: :cool:I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya.:cool:

Seriously, reading between the lines, I don't think you (we?) wanna go there.

Travis/Keith/whoever, you want to post pics of your entries here?

Jim Ketron
10-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Sent ya a PM John;)

Keith Burns
10-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Travis and I both posted our here awhile back. Don't know how to tell you to find them though.

Travis Stinson
10-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Lee, here's Keith's posting.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24847

And here's mine.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25008

Andy Hoyt
10-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Just went and looked again. Deeper this time. The original judge was replaced becasue he was "out of the country". Guess where he lives?

France!

Jim Ketron
10-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Well Guys I had no part in the contest, but I don't like how it was handled seems like to me you have to turn something, then add a bunch of carvings or something else to be accepted into the AAW. And One Judge is not fair IMO! Don't take me wrong I like the looks of carvings and other embellishments as long as it still looks like a turning.
I have been thinking of joining the AAW but its things like this that make me re-think doing it! why do I want to Join a place that the name is American Association of Woodturners that accepts items that have hardly seen the lathe, like in most of their Symposium events.
sorry if I have offended anyone but this is just my view!
I guess I like the looks of natures beauty with out adding a bunch to it.

Lee DeRaud
10-26-2005, 1:18 AM
Lee, here's Keith's posting.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24847

And here's mine.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25008Very nice, both of them.

Randy Moore
10-27-2005, 8:38 AM
Well I guess I am a little :eek: dense. Where is this contest thing at on here? John Miliunas ask but I did not see the answer.:confused:

Randy

John Miliunas
10-27-2005, 9:37 AM
Well Guys I had no part in the contest, but I don't like how it was handled seems like to me you have to turn something, then add a bunch of carvings or something else to be accepted into the AAW. And One Judge is not fair IMO! Don't take me wrong I like the looks of carvings and other embellishments as long as it still looks like a turning.
I have been thinking of joining the AAW but its things like this that make me re-think doing it! why do I want to Join a place that the name is American Association of Woodturners that accepts items that have hardly seen the lathe, like in most of their Symposium events.
sorry if I have offended anyone but this is just my view!
I guess I like the looks of natures beauty with out adding a bunch to it.

Well Jim, I don't usually like to get too judgemental or opinionated on stuff like this but, I have to agree with you 110% on this one! I guess my view is that it really detracts from those folks who aspire to being good turners. All of a sudden, it appears that, like you say, the turning is almost secondary. :( It seems as though if you don't have the skills or tools to do certain additional "touches" to your piece(s), it don't count as good enough. That's discouraging. Too bad, because there were a number of other "real" turned pieces there!:) :cool:

Ron Sardo
10-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks Jim for your post on AAW, I agree with your comments.

Joe Horne
10-27-2005, 2:11 PM
Jim, I also agree. That is one reason I have never joined the organization.........and they seem to be going backwards instead of forwards. Not that the opinion of a few turners matters to the "brass" of the "good old boys club"..........but, maybe someone from AAW will see this post, and think..........."hmmmmm".........maybe they have something here".............but, I wouldn't hold my breath! :rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
10-27-2005, 4:56 PM
Reading between the lines, it sounds like the "club syndrome" has kicked in, big-time.

(Defined as: any club will eventually end up being run by people who care more about running a club than they care about whatever that particular club was actually formed to do. DAMHIKT)

Jim Becker
10-27-2005, 5:49 PM
I can certainly appreciate the sentiments about the contest, etc., but I really do have to chime in and mention that the local AAW chapters are one of the best resources out there for folks interested in woodturning, both as a beginner and beyond. Like any organization...including our SMC community...the majority of folks involved are sincere, interested, willing to share and overtly friendly.

There is no requirement to agree with any one person nor any requirement to agree with the way a program is run...in fact, it's important to express our feelings and why we feel that way. (I, too, would have liked to see a more diverse group of judges) But let's not make it seem that an organization with many thousands of members and provides valuable services to our community is all bad because of this event...it's not representative of the organization in general, the local chapters nor most of the leadership, some of whom I know personally, including the president.

Vaughn McMillan
10-27-2005, 6:07 PM
I roamed around the AAW website long enough to see that they had apparently buried any mention of a goblet contest deep enough that I wasn't going to find it. Shame, too, because I really wanted to see what the hubub is all about. (And why offer a Search feature, only to have it pop up a message saying there is no Search feature?)

- Vaughn

Ron Sardo
10-27-2005, 8:45 PM
Here is the link Vaughn

http://www.woodturner.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1171

Jim Ketron
10-27-2005, 9:11 PM
I can certainly appreciate the sentiments about the contest, etc., but I really do have to chime in and mention that the local AAW chapters are one of the best resources out there for folks interested in woodturning, both as a beginner and beyond. Like any organization...including our SMC community...the majority of folks involved are sincere, interested, willing to share and overtly friendly.

I agree 100% Jim I'm a Local chapter member but not an AAW Member. and all the Gals and Guys their are very nice and helpful. And if you are close to one to go and check it out!
And I will be doing my first demo this Tue on turning green Bowls and Dave Smiths alcohol methods. Even purchased one of Daves T shirts to wear to the demo

Philip Duffy
10-28-2005, 4:43 AM
The trouble with all contests is that, no matter who the judges award a prize to, all the others suffer the idea that my stuff was not as good. Just look at the Miss America contest and you will see how beautiful all the ladies look, but only one is best? No way! My preference is to not submit to the contests. Phil

Travis Stinson
10-28-2005, 5:42 AM
Imagine what Miss America would look like if she was judged using the same criteria as this...........with the winner determined on the sole basis of looking "different"!:eek: :eek: :eek: :o

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 5:44 AM
Travis. I almost lost my corn flakes. I had visions of Big Mike as Miss America......:eek: :p :rolleyes:

Loy Hawes
10-28-2005, 3:40 PM
You guys make it too easy! Sorry Travis. :D

Jim Ketron
10-28-2005, 3:55 PM
LOL:D :D :D
Loy its about time you get someone else besides me! :D :D :D
Travis you look way Different !:D :D :D

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 3:56 PM
Well, Travis, this is a case of open mouth and have your image put into a dress. Hey, Trav, you are cute in a dress with a tiara.....:p :D

John Miliunas
10-28-2005, 3:56 PM

OMG Loy!:eek: ROFLM....:D :D Ten lashes with a wet staining rag!!!:D :cool:

Travis Stinson
10-28-2005, 4:04 PM
OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!! I WON!!!!!!!! I WON!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yep, I do believe that proves my point......:eek:

John Miliunas
10-28-2005, 4:09 PM
All in favor of Jim K. as "Miss Congeniality", affirm by saying "Aye"!:D :D :D :cool:

Keith Burns
10-28-2005, 4:34 PM
Travis, you look absolutely wonderful in that dress. I'm now very glad I didn't win !

Andy Hoyt
10-28-2005, 4:34 PM
Loy (AND Travis): Nice form and figure. What kind of finish did you use to achieve that white sparkly effect?

Loy Hawes
10-28-2005, 5:57 PM
OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!! I WON!!!!!!!! I WON!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LMAO! Good reply! :D :D

Andy, the finish is Tiffany's wipe on poly.

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 6:20 PM
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Chris Barton
10-28-2005, 6:41 PM
I suppose that my biggest gripe is that when I hear that it will be turning, I assume that it will be a consideration of a project that is turned, entirely... I guess that it can be construed many ways but, turned with lots of carving and other stuff doesn't really sound like turning to me... But, hey maybe I am dense.