PDA

View Full Version : OT: Restoring/cleaning an old electric motor

Lincoln Myers
06-23-2003, 12:05 PM
Anyone have any resources/websites etc. w/ information on how to properly clean and restore and old electric motor? I recently acquired 2 old motors. One is a Westinghouse 1/4HP and one an Emmerson 3/4HP. Can't find a year on either, but they both look older than the 1956 1HP GE I have on my jointer.

The Wesinghouse was already wired and I plugged it in and it ran so smooth I could barely hear it once it got up to speed. Real nice. I just wanted to spend a little time on it to clean it out so it could spend another 50 years in service and don't want to do any harm.

One specific question I have is the rings that hold the motor to its' base. These seem to be some sort of fiber, or rubbber lining a metal ring that then form to a "nut" or hexagon shape on the motor ends. What are these called? How can I replace them?

Thanks for any help/comments or referrals. Linc.

Noah Alkinburgh
06-23-2003, 4:39 PM
Here is an article for you. http://files.owwm.com/PDF/FAQ/FindingMotors.pdf

not sure if it will answer all your questions but is some good reading on the topic

Noah

Don Farr
06-24-2003, 8:19 AM
I don't know how far you want to go here, but here is what I would do.
Mark the endbells with a punch. You want them to go back exactly like they came off. Carefully remove the endbells. The bearings may resist some, but they will come off. ALSO be very careful not to damage the centrifugal switch in the back. Slide out the rotor. Now it is apart you can clean away. Compressed air and maybe a little solvent if necessary. Motor shops will steam clean the windings but they have a oven to dry it in. Once the windings are clean and dry spray them with red insulating paint. Clean the switch contacts in the back, replace the bearings and the start capacitor and reassemble. Tape up the shaft and motor label, vents and paint the outside. Test run.
Good luck with it.

I almost forgot. I believe what you are referring to is a cradle mount or resilient ring mount at each end. Replacements should be available if the rubber as deteriorated.

Lincoln Myers
06-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Thanks a lot Noah, Don. This info is very helpful. Don, the inside of the motor is very 'grimy'. I think I will give it a shot of some solvent and try to get some of the muck off.

Any idea where I might find replacement cradle mount/resilient ring mounts.

Thanks again. Linc.

Don Farr
06-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Try Grainger @ www.grainger.com . Search for rubber motor mounting rings.