PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this steel-frame woodworking bench?

Michael A Hauser
07-12-2017, 1:47 AM
I picked this bench up cheap today to use as a first woodworking bench in a small space. The previous owner thought he recalled buying it from a mail order catalog decades ago but couldn't remember the manufacturer. Any ideas?

It seems pretty solid but isn't square. Hopefully, I'll be able to fix that. It came with four bench dogs.

Charles Wiggins
07-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Other than the seller's less than perfect memory, any reason to believe that its not shop-built? From what I can see it has that "slapped-together-out-of-what-I-have-on-hand" vibe to it. It looks like someone's failed attempt to avoid handing $100 over the Black and Decker.

Nick Decker
07-12-2017, 11:35 AM
My guess is that it started life as something else, some kind of stand. Then maybe repurposed into what you now have.

John Lanciani
07-12-2017, 11:44 AM
The color makes me think it was made by Record, they had a fairly large range of products and quality levels in the 80's and early 90's.

Lonnie Gallaher
07-12-2017, 12:44 PM
I am a metal fabricator and I would not call it a shop made item. It could have been fabricated by someone with full access to a steel fabrication shop. It has many bent pieces that are not just laying around or easily sourced without having a way to bend steel accurately.

Pat Barry
07-12-2017, 1:04 PM
Looks pretty versatile. You can find some workmate bench dogs for it (I think Rockler has some). Not sure how important the squareness really is on something like this. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Rich Colvin
07-12-2017, 9:02 PM
Looks cool.

Michael A Hauser
08-05-2017, 1:33 AM
Thanks for the replies and I apologize for the delay.
I didn't have any luck searching for it online. Maybe it's a cheap portable bench that predates Workmate.
I 3d-printed some neat adjustable dogs for it. Does the job until I build a better bench someday.