PDA

View Full Version : Using Corel Font for Commercial Products - Cutouts, Signs

Robert Bonenfant
07-11-2017, 7:08 PM
Hey Guys,

Just had a customer ask me to make them 300 Wooden Cutouts of a font thats on Corel draw (Monotype Corsiva) They want about 12 of each letter to sell in there craft store to see how they do (1 location to start but they have 20 stores in total). They want us to wholesale the product to them . I wasn't sure if we could use a corel font in this way - I dont think 300 shapes would draw any attention but What if they want to order 1,000 or 10,000. Wanted to get some insight before I say yes. I checked the user agreement but it doesn't really say directly if it can be used in a product like this - They say it can be used for commercial printing but doesn't go much farther. I also sent them a email but no answer after a day and half.

Most of my jobs and products are designed in house so we normally dont have to worry about this.

Thanks for Help
Rob

Kev Williams
07-11-2017, 7:27 PM
It's not "Corel" font, it and others are just plain fonts on your computer that Corel accesses. If it's on your computer, just use it...

Mayo Pardo
07-11-2017, 8:59 PM
Monotype Corsiva™ is a trademark of The Monotype Corporation.
You would have to check their terms of use to make sure.
My unqualified opinion is as long as you are not using their font file and calling it something else, and selling it as a font to be used in the same manner (on the computer), I think there is no conflict on your end. If the stores sell the letters and call them by their trade name, it may be an issue for them and they may have to pay licensing to sell it branded as Monotype Corsiva.
Back when Corel first came out, it had tons of fonts that were named similarly to the real trademark holder names. A few years and version numbers later they must have worked out licensing deals with various font manufacturers because they began using the real names.

Robert Bonenfant
07-11-2017, 9:51 PM
Typo with the "corel front" - They are provided with Windows Package.

Mayo that was my understanding as well.

Had trademark issues in the past and didnt want to go down that expensive road again But I think im clear on this one.

Thanks

Mike Null
07-12-2017, 12:48 PM
I would go ahead and take the job. Here is a link that may be useful. http://www.corel.com/en/corel-copyrights/