PDA

View Full Version : How similar is Sapele to Mahogany?

scott spencer
10-25-2005, 6:19 PM
Got a request for a couple of mahogany frames so I headed 20 miles to Woodcraft only to find out their African mahogany was sold out. I wasn't about to pay $24 bdft for Cuban mahogany, but the Sapele looked pretty similar to some mahogany I recently worked with. How similar are these woods?

Don Baer
10-25-2005, 6:25 PM
When I looked them both up this is what I found.

Product Descriptions: Sapele

(Entandrophragma cylindricum)
Color: Dark red brown.

The Tree: May reach a height of 150-200 feet; bole straight and cylindrical, clear to 100 feet; trunk diameters to 6' over broad, low buttresses, sometimes not buttressed.

The Wood: Texture rather fine; grain interlocked, sometimes wavy. Lustrous. Works fairly well.

Typical Uses: Fine furniture, cabinet work.

Source Region: Ivory Coast and Nigeria

Product Descriptions: Genuine Mahogany

(Swietenia macrophylla)
Color: Yellowish brown to reddish brown.

The Tree: The pride of South America, this tree grows to over 150 feet with trunk diameter over 72" above large buttresses.

The Wood: Ranks among the finest cabinet woods. Exceptionally stable and clear with a natural luster. Moderately coarse texture. Requires filling to achieve a class smooth surface but accepts virtually all finishes with ease.

Typical Uses: Furniture, cabinets, interiors, boat building, pattern making.

Source Region: Central and Tropical South America

Hope it helps

Andy London
10-25-2005, 8:34 PM
Scott, Sapele is African Mahagony, I go through a pile of Sapele especially for trays as the gold glitter is really something in the sun.

This is probably the easiest wood I have come across to work with and perform jointery in.

Andy

Andy London
10-25-2005, 8:36 PM
PS: I should have included it's just one of many African Mahagony's, when I worked in Africa, I must have seen at least 20 different types, the major difference was the colors.

scott spencer
10-25-2005, 9:09 PM
Thanks Andy. That's good to hear since I bought some! :D

Mark Singer
10-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Scott,
It does not have the stability of genuine mahogany and should not be used outdoors

Chris Giles
10-26-2005, 5:37 AM
Sapele is a very beautiful type of mahogany which we used to use on commercial cabinetry when Honduras supplies got inconsistant. It has a pronounced ribbon-stripe characteristic like Honduras, only not quite as wavy. Gorgeous color, depth and grain, I'd use whenever I can find a good supply.

John Bush
10-27-2005, 6:34 PM
Hi Scott,
I used Sapele to make a Stickley style recliner and ottoman and found it great to work with. Easy to machine and hand instrument as well. I used a teak oil rubbed finish and ended with a deep red/brown color that is warm and rich looking. I'm sure you will enjoy working with it. Good luck, John.

Steve Wargo
10-27-2005, 9:03 PM
For hand tools the Cuban & Hondurain mahogany are hand downs the easier to use. But they both machine well. Remember... There was a reason that they imported droves of mahogany into the US way back when. Not just because it looked nice, but because it is very easy to work with hand tools.