PDA

View Full Version : Big Ash Desk

Scott Bernstein
07-11-2017, 4:40 PM
I'm fairly new to woodworking and thought I'd share some photos of a recent project (completed about 3 months ago). I call it The Big Ash Desk... It is designed to be a computer desk. My better half commissioned it with the design stipulation that the desktop computer be completely hidden when not in use. The CPU sits on a sliding shelf in the front cabinet. The back of the desk is a double

Lee Schierer
07-11-2017, 4:52 PM
Very nice. How does your computer get ventilation?

David Falkner
07-11-2017, 5:12 PM
That really looks nice, Scott! Is the monitor raised/lowered manually or do you have a mechanism?

David

Scott Bernstein
07-11-2017, 5:57 PM
Sorry... some of the description got cut off... The back panel consists of two pieces with a 6" space between. In that space is where the monitor lives when not in use. It's attached to an electric motorized lift which is activated by a toggle switch hidden inside the front cabinet. When the monitor lifts up it raises the flap in the desk top; the flap lowers by gravity when the monitor goes down. There is room in the drawer for the wireless keyboard and mouse. The finish is shellac sanding sealer x 2 coats, clear grain filler, and several coats of glossy water based polyurethane. The CPU sits inside the cabinet on a sliding shelf and the cabinet has holes in the bottom and in the back for ventilation - we've no issues with overheating (as far as I know).

Scott B

George Bokros
07-11-2017, 6:00 PM
Nice design. Innovative on the monitor.

Frederick Skelly
07-11-2017, 7:50 PM
Very nice! I love ash!

Yonak Hawkins
07-11-2017, 9:20 PM
That's a really nice desk, Scott. ..Nice panels. There's a lot of work there.