PDA

View Full Version : Ideas Wanted, Carpenters Tool Box that Travels Easy

Stew Denton
07-11-2017, 1:21 AM
My wife and I go on trips to see the kids and grand kids when we can, and neither set are just a short way away, both are a ways off. I sometimes take tools along to do work on something or other. It usually is a gut wrenching ordeal to clean out one of my carpenters tool boxes, find everything needed for the job (and usually a lot of things ending up not needed), it takes a lot of time to get it ready to travel, and sometimes I end up with 3 full tool boxes. What a pain.

I am thinking of a box that would be good for lots of general maintenance carpentry jobs, but not big jobs. It would be good for stuff like going with some from our church to do maintenance on the area church camp, where you have no idea what to expect when you get there. On some of those type deals you have several folks, but most long on good hearts but short of building trades skills. So most end up doing painting, clean up, etc., and a small number of us do the carpentry, etc.

I am thinking of a box that is nicely done, won't scratch stuff in the car, won't take up tons of room, and you could just grab and go.

Lately I have been thinking about setting up something permanent, a carpenters tool box made "on purpose" for just that kind of thing, with some tools more or less living in it permanently, but with a place for my electrical tool belt, and a tray with a minimal number of divisions for things like chisels, nail sets, etc.

The idea is to be able to do a lot, general carpentry, lots of flexibility, but not be set up for really big jobs.

My little 16" Disston #7 crosscut saws got me started thinking about this. They can do a very good job of full sized work, well, you give up some speed for sure compared to my full size carpenters saws, but you could do a lot with 2 of them, probably an 8 point rip and and a 10 point crosscut. (Finer teeth seem to work better on these smaller lighter saws.)

Obviously you take one 16 oz claw hammer, but my framing hammer stays home. Other things I thought about; nail sets, a couple chisels, combination square, and maybe my 1/2 size framing square, 16' tape, block plane, jack plane, brace with a small set of auger bits and an expansion bit, egg beater drill and a small set of bits, chalk line, 2' level, screw driver handle with hex bits, a stud finder, plumb bob, pliers/diagonal cutters/needle nose pliers, cats paw nail puller, utility knife, 3 or 4 quick grip clamps, a 1 lbs coffee can or small box with a supply of nails and screws, a fine point center punch....you get the idea.

Years ago I bought a very old carpenters tool box of that type, I think the original owner was a very old time carpenter out in the country I grew up in, and you had to carry your tools with you to the job, this was before the days of cars. His box was made of clear pine, and planed fairly thin where strength did not matter. It was completely enclosed and somewhat weather resistant, the top closed over the box, and in the top was a place for two panel saws laying flat wise in a small till. It was a long time ago, but the box was a bit over 2' long as I recall, probably 10" wide, and maybe 18" high, and I think it had handles on each end. Something of that sort, but smaller, would be ideal I think.

What are your thoughts? What should be in such a tool box? (This is for carpentry not fine woodworking.)

(A second, bigger box would be needed for bigger jobs that you would also take if you had reason to believe bigger jobs were likely, such things as a good but small to medium size miter box with back saw, small vise, full size carpenters saws, 1/2 inch drill, extension cord, ect.)

This project will have to wait a while though, too many irons in the fire, or maybe, is the whole idea not worth the trouble?

Stew

steven c newman
07-11-2017, 1:37 AM
Stanley used to make a few...
I made a copy of the No.888 ( I think that is the number)
Depending on how long you make it, should hold most of your tools..
A look inside?
and..
And..
and one more..
or..just go Roy Underhill..
This one canhold a full sized saw......
Could always make a lid for it...

Stew Denton
07-11-2017, 2:11 AM
Steven, nice job. There are tools in there I didn't think about, but darned useful. (I did think about the sharpening stone.)

It would be interesting what tools Stanley originally put in the box.

Thanks,

Stew

Melvin Graybill
07-11-2017, 9:14 AM
Stew, I was facing the same problem 2 years ago (i was embarrassed cause i was carrying my tools in a plastic tool tray) and this is a box i built. I think the basic plans were in woodsmith and I modified the inside with tool holders in the lid.

Pat Barry
07-11-2017, 9:36 AM
My wife and I go on trips to see the kids and grand kids when we can, and neither set are just a short way away, both are a ways off. I sometimes take tools along to do work on something or other. It usually is a gut wrenching ordeal to clean out one of my carpenters tool boxes, find everything needed for the job (and usually a lot of things ending up not needed), it takes a lot of time to get it ready to travel, and sometimes I end up with 3 full tool boxes. What a pain.

I am thinking of a box that would be good for lots of general maintenance carpentry jobs, but not big jobs. It would be good for stuff like going with some from our church to do maintenance on the area church camp, where you have no idea what to expect when you get there. On some of those type deals you have several folks, but most long on good hearts but short of building trades skills. So most end up doing painting, clean up, etc., and a small number of us do the carpentry, etc.

I am thinking of a box that is nicely done, won't scratch stuff in the car, won't take up tons of room, and you could just grab and go.

Lately I have been thinking about setting up something permanent, a carpenters tool box made "on purpose" for just that kind of thing, with some tools more or less living in it permanently, but with a place for my electrical tool belt, and a tray with a minimal number of divisions for things like chisels, nail sets, etc.

The idea is to be able to do a lot, general carpentry, lots of flexibility, but not be set up for really big jobs.

My little 16" Disston #7 crosscut saws got me started thinking about this. They can do a very good job of full sized work, well, you give up some speed for sure compared to my full size carpenters saws, but you could do a lot with 2 of them, probably an 8 point rip and and a 10 point crosscut. (Finer teeth seem to work better on these smaller lighter saws.)

Obviously you take one 16 oz claw hammer, but my framing hammer stays home. Other things I thought about; nail sets, a couple chisels, combination square, and maybe my 1/2 size framing square, 16' tape, block plane, jack plane, brace with a small set of auger bits and an expansion bit, egg beater drill and a small set of bits, chalk line, 2' level, screw driver handle with hex bits, a stud finder, plumb bob, pliers/diagonal cutters/needle nose pliers, cats paw nail puller, utility knife, 3 or 4 quick grip clamps, a 1 lbs coffee can or small box with a supply of nails and screws, a fine point center punch....you get the idea.

Years ago I bought a very old carpenters tool box of that type, I think the original owner was a very old time carpenter out in the country I grew up in, and you had to carry your tools with you to the job, this was before the days of cars. His box was made of clear pine, and planed fairly thin where strength did not matter. It was completely enclosed and somewhat weather resistant, the top closed over the box, and in the top was a place for two panel saws laying flat wise in a small till. It was a long time ago, but the box was a bit over 2' long as I recall, probably 10" wide, and maybe 18" high, and I think it had handles on each end. Something of that sort, but smaller, would be ideal I think.

What are your thoughts? What should be in such a tool box? (This is for carpentry not fine woodworking.)

(A second, bigger box would be needed for bigger jobs that you would also take if you had reason to believe bigger jobs were likely, such things as a good but small to medium size miter box with back saw, small vise, full size carpenters saws, 1/2 inch drill, extension cord, ect.)

This project will have to wait a while though, too many irons in the fire, or maybe, is the whole idea not worth the trouble?

Stew
I have a nice big plastic tool box. It holds, in the base, a pipe wrench or two, a Craftsman 1/4 drive SAE and Metric socket set, a small speed square, a hammer, various open end / box wrenches, a large water pump pliers. The tray holds a couple chisels, marking tools, pens, extra hardware, wire cutter, wire nuts, various screws and nuts and bolts, tape measur, etc. I think it weighs close to 25 lbs when loaded. I take this back and forth to my cabin. At my cabin I am accumulating tools such as saws, an old 12V Makita drill / driver / drill bits, etc. I wouldn't want a wooden box - it would be too bulky, too heavy for transport.

Andy Nichols
07-11-2017, 9:49 AM
Melvin:

Very nice indeed....now that you've used it, would you make any changes?

Andy

Stew, I was facing the same problem 2 years ago (i was embarrassed cause i was carrying my tools in a plastic tool tray) and this is a box i built. I think the basic plans were in woodsmith and I modified the inside with tool holders in the lid.

Melvin Graybill
07-11-2017, 9:56 AM
Melvin:

Very nice indeed....now that you've used it, would you make any changes?

Andy

So far it has carried all the hand tools that I needed on finish carpenter jobs.

andy bessette
07-11-2017, 10:32 AM
For a truly portable set of woodworking tools I have found that tool bags are way better than boxes. The multiple pockets make organizing small tools easier. And things stay put where you store them, rather than rolling around in a box or drawer. The bags are lighter and don't mar your vehicle during transport. The Japanese saws with replaceable blades break down into short components for easy stowage. A 4-way or 6-way screwdriver handles most screw driving chores that must be done by hand.

http://www.thdstatic.com/spin/30/203224030/203224030_S01.spin?thumb&profile=400

William Adams
07-11-2017, 10:47 AM
I thought Bob Strawn's "Vagabond Tool Rack" was an interesting and high-tech variation on this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?141768-A-basic-tool-set-Hand-tool-bug-out-bag&p=1440933#post1440933

I'm still working on putting something along these lines together, though I'm focused on smaller and more multi-purpose tools --- see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173912-Bonsa-Tool-Kit added a few things, and now have stuff divided between an EDC bag (Proteus Maxpedition Versa clone from my bike handlebars) and a small tool roll (which isn't quite working out as well as I'd hoped). Lots of duplication / overlap and I need to trim some stuff down, grind some screwdriver tips, and buy a few more tools.

William Adams
07-11-2017, 11:02 AM
(my apologies for the double reply --- tried to edit the above, but the system wouldn't let me)

An inspirational reference of course would be the Studley tool cabinet well-documented in the recent book from Lost Arts Press --- even the excerpt may be of interest: https://lostartpress.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/virtuoso_excerpt.pdf (though I wish they'd fix the incorrect photo on pg. 70)

Lots of other tools and tool lists (tried to work up a reference on the List of Tools page on the Shapeoko wiki), and the best / most inspirational books I can think of are:

- Jim Tolpin's The Toolbox Book: A Craftsman's Guide to Tool Chests, Cabinets and Storage Systems
- Donald C. Williams' Virtuoso: The Tool Cabinet and Workbench of Henry O. Studley
- Andy Rae's Choosing & Using Hand Tools

James Pallas
07-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Stew you may want to look at the old fashion metal carpenters long box. Where I grew up some carpenters rode the city bus to work. The box had a handle on one end so you could carry it verticle if need be, like on the bus. I believe that the carried most items like chisels and such in tool rolls. There was a saw til for full length saws and even a slot where the tongue of a framing square poked thru the lid.
Jim

Mel Fulks
07-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Yeah, you don't see those long boxes much now. I used one in a shop situation for years,it was used and had no key. A friend told me the keys were all the same ,he gave me an extra and it did indeed work! Alas ,I had no membership card.

Phillip Mitchell
07-11-2017, 9:13 PM
It may not be your style, but you might consider a traditional Japanese tool box. They can be built to whatever size you need (within reason) based on what you're putting in them. They can easily be adapted to include a shelf or two for smaller items and built in storage for things like chisels, layout tools, etc.

There's a good recent article from FWW written by Andrew Hunter that details how he builds one. They are very quick to build. In my view, they are constructed very simply in form, but still afford an opportunity to showcase a bit of taste in how to ultimately complete the box. Choice of wood, grain pattern, etc can turn an ordinary tool box into an elegant box that is pleasing to look at and touch.

I built one recently for my stable of planes that I take to work with me from time to time for certain jobs, but it has since been adapted to be part of my finish carpentry tool arsenal. I keep chisels, a mallet, hand saw or two, layout and marking tools, block planes, jack plane as needed, bevel gauge, dividers, etc. Traditionally they are built with cut nails as the fasteners, but I used small, countersunk Torx head screws on mine because I was worried about the Doug Fir splitting in a couple of places. It has a tendency to be splintery and split easily in certain situations.

I made this size box from a single 1x12x12' stick of clear Doug Fir. I chose to use some cherry scraps I had lying around as an accent for the battens and handles.

One thing I like about it in terms of portability is that they are flat along the top plane of the box and easily packed and stacked with other boxes, tool cases, or Japanese tool boxes. The lid slides into place and fits nice and tight, but can be slid out (to open the box) and be used as a "tray" of sorts for tools to sit on while being used.

I've attached a couple photos of my box on my bench and also in use on a job site. This was a house full of custom doors and hinged solid panel "windows" that needed, among other things, deadbolts and strikes installed. Lots of layout and chisel work and the tool box was great.

I initially built this box sized to fit bench planes, which it's perfect for. When I build more boxes with general carpentry in mind I will likely size it accordingly to optimize the layout for selected tools, but the concept remains.

steven c newman
07-11-2017, 9:31 PM
IF you happen to look up the Stanley No.888 hip roof tool box, you may also see the list of tools that came with the box.. One of the few I didn't get in there was a Stanley 18" level...didn't have one. Just about all the rest of the tools I placed in that box were in the tool list from Stanley. If you look closely, you will see a handsaw in there...

As for the tote....Everytime I need to haul tools to my Daughter's place to fix something, I just toss in what tools I think I'll need into the tote.

Kevin Jenness
07-11-2017, 10:29 PM
363700My cabinet installation hand tool boxes. Used to be one with a handle cut into the central divider, but it got to be too heavy so I sawed it in half and put on some slings. It's easy to find the right tool and to see if one hasn't been put away. Beat up but functional after umpteen years. I have several other boxes for power tools and odds and ends including this drill box. Baltic Birch, mainly 1/2", held together with #10 biscuits.363698363699 (I wish I could figure out how to place pictures and text where I want them in these posts.)

Bill Houghton
07-11-2017, 10:34 PM
See if your library has a copy of "The Toolbox Book" from Taunton Press. If it doesn't, see if you can get it on interlibrary loan. LOTS of ideas there.

Rick Malakoff
07-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Amazon has the books in the used -good condition for 8$ shipped. In the past I have been very happy with their used books from other sellers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1561582727/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1499829419&sr=8-2&keywords=the+tool+box+book

Stew Denton
07-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Steven,

Thanks for the tip, as per your suggestion, I looked at what an old Stanley 888A tool box contained. It is surprisingly similar to some of the things I was thinking about. It didn't have much in the way of electrical tools, probably not a lot of home electrical work done back then, maybe none, but did have a bit of metal working tools. I guess small project carpentry maintenance tools don't change much, at least not Neander tools. They obviously got quite a few tools in what looks like it is not a real big box.

I just looked at the tools in your box more carefully again a bit ago and finally saw the hand saw. After looking a bit, I began to realize that you actually have quite a few tools in the box, more than I realized at first.

What are the dimensions of the outside of the box? I think it is bigger than I realized at first.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Rick Malakoff
07-11-2017, 11:29 PM
(I wish I could figure out how to place pictures and text where I want them in these posts.)

Kevin, I move things around pictures and text with the enter key and backspace/delete keys.

Stew Denton
07-12-2017, 12:04 AM
Guys,

Thanks for all the tip so far, good and very practical suggestions. I am always happy to see things that folks have experience using, experience is a wonderful teacher.

Rick and William, my son in law has "The Toolbox Book," I've spent hours in it, and I agree it is a great resource. I need to look at it again the next time we visit.

Melvin, Jim, and others who included pictures of wooden tool boxes, some good ideas and some beautiful work. I am definitely wanting to go the wooden tool box route, because that way I can build the exact size and design I want. I am also leaning toward some sort of traditional design, a little like, but not exactly like the tool box I bought and mentioned above. (That box bit the dust long ago however, but I still have a bit of the lumber and may use it in the new box.)

I found some good videos on Youtube, some extremely similar to that old toolbox from long ago, and also saw some pictures of the traditional metal carpenters long toolboxes. I had never seen one of them, so learned something.

I am appreciating all the ideas and thoughts.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

James Pallas
07-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Stew, Your working on an old dilemma. You just can't second guess what you will need. A completely different set of tools to frame a garden shed and build a kitchen cabinet. Just buy a big truck and take it all:).
Jim

Andy Nichols
07-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Woodsmithplans has several variations of portable to small tool boxes and chests....

Andy

Rick Malakoff
07-12-2017, 2:18 PM
Had one like this for many years, I showed up on a job and next Monday just about just about everyone had a something similar to replace the 5gal. buckets.

Snagged the picture from BORG.

Ted Phillips
07-12-2017, 2:20 PM
I second the recommendation for a traditional Japanese tool box. These things are fun to make, have built in handles, a secure lid, and can be made any size you like to fit your tools and trunk.

William Adams
07-12-2017, 2:38 PM
Yeah, ages ago, I had an old ammo crate which I used as my toolbox in the boot of my MGB --- worked quite nicely, really miss it (and the tools which I left in it when I left it behind at a friend's place).

Stew Denton
07-12-2017, 11:16 PM
Jim,

That is a great idea, and one who's time may come in a couple of years,maybe. I sold my '77 Dodge Powerwagon a few years ago, and truly miss having a truck.

Rick, I like that wooden tool box, what I call a traditional carpenters tool box. I like them enough that I have built 6 over the years, including the first that I built over 45 years ago. I think they are great for most general carpentry. In fact all 6 of them are still in my garage, and 5 of them are disorganized messes of tools. Three contain primarily way too many carpenters hand saws that have been primarily bought very cheaply at various garage sales, etc., over the years. (Note to self..."self you don't need any more carpenters type hand saws"....note from self in reply...."however if a Disston 12 or D12 shows up cheap somewhere...."

However, now I am also thinking about having it be able to be closed up to help protect the tools at least a little from weather, and from prying eyes looking in the vehicle while on the road. I'm also thinking that maybe it should be able to be locked up, maybe with a hasp or something similar, to protect curious and very small grandchildren from getting into sharp tools. I want it to be able to stay organized, with saw tills, spots for nail sets, trays for chisels, hammers, etc. The trays, if possible, must be such that the tools can't escape them, say with tight fitting enclosures or something like that.

Anyway, that is what I am thinking about now, after seeing some of the boxes and comments.

The truth is that I am now at a place in my life that some or much of my traditional carpentry I do is on the road, and normally quite a ways away. It is not handy at all to go to my garage to grab the needed tool. My big carpenters tool boxes (maybe in my case that should read "foolboxes") are OK for bigger jobs where I know pretty much what to expect and because of that what to bring, but now most of the time I don't know what to expect and most of the jobs aren't big at all. Those big boxes are also a pain to travel with for long distances in the car. (The are really better hauled in the back of a pickup.) Iv'e made do with what was not very ideal at all for a long time, and am thinking of something very practical for what I mostly actually do now, when away from home. We will see. (As Jim says....stay tuned.) However, keep the good ideas coming!

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Rick Malakoff
07-12-2017, 11:42 PM
Stew, I built mine in 1980 and I have no idea what happened to it, probably got rid of it during on of my life changing moments.
I'm kind of drawn to the Japanese style tool boxes and have built some using western red ceder fence boards all are used as storage crates and do not have lids/tops but can always be added.
Good luck on your quest and remember if you take everything you may need...your moving!
Rick

Andy Nichols
07-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Here's one that's classic and drawers can be added by modifying the height or even in the bottom, lots of design options, but functional as is....

Andy363778

Stew Denton
07-13-2017, 1:03 AM
Hi Rick and all,

That idea of using western red ceder fence pickets to build a Japanese box is starting to appeal. I have some new cedar fence picket of both common types in my shed, ones I bought for a project with the grand kids. The project is done, and I have some left over. Your idea of using the completed boxes for storage sounds really good too.

When the idea was first suggested I didn't think too much about it, thinking it probably wouldn't work for what I was thinking of, but thinking more on it, that idea may be a very workable one: strong, modified just a bit to protect tools from weather or a slip over weather cover made for it, made with rounded edges that won't scratch things in the car, and a quick build. If made the right size it could have a saw till in the bottom, along with partitions for a jack plane and other somewhat larger tools. On top of the partitions a couple of trays could be made to stack, and be held in place by cleats at the ends.

I will have to think on this exact idea a bit more. May go that route. The shape of that type of box, rectangular, and flat on top as Phillip mentioned, seems ideal for what I want, and with lift out trays accessibility could be excellent.

This approach doesn't have the "golly gee whiz" appeal of the folding sides boxes with multiple built in dividers, drawers, and trays, or the eye appeal of the Gambrel top curly maple boxes, but it may be exactly what the doctor ordered. I tend to go for the simple, strong, and practical.

Stew

Mike Baker 2
07-13-2017, 8:00 AM
I know you said you've looked at some Youtube stuff, but...
This box I think is very nicely done, and I think I could do an awful lot with it if I needed to.
I'm trying to figure out what to do myself. My shop is in my back yard, so I end up running back and forth from the house to the bench outside. I plan to gather up every tool I use frequently, and build a box or a cabinet I can just grab and take out to my bench. This one here, if I go with an actual box, is a top contender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGoHabtpHVE

Mike Baker 2
07-13-2017, 8:06 AM
Alternatively, have you ever watched Supernatural? They have a literal arsenal in their trunk. You could buy a cheap, reliable Chevy(or whatever your poison is) and turn the trunk into a giant tool box. :D

Rick Malakoff
07-13-2017, 8:16 AM
Mike, that guy made a nice looking box. Had to turn the volume down before my ears started to bleed and got as far as him opening it up, but it's a nice box.
Good find

Mike Baker 2
07-13-2017, 8:24 AM
LOL! I generally listen to Youtube with the volume really low, and adjust from there. :)

Megan Fitzpatrick
07-13-2017, 12:30 PM
If you like the Japanese box approach, Chris Schwarz' article (from the Dec. 15 issue of PWM) is free on our site: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/326395

steven c newman
07-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Might be a bit hard to measure...currently the box and tools ( donated as a door prize last year) are in Canada.

I based it on the size Stanley used for their 888 box.....I went with a steeper angle on the lids, though.

Rick Malakoff
07-13-2017, 1:37 PM
If you like the Japanese box approach, Chris Schwarz' article (from the Dec. 15 issue of PWM) is free on our site: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/326395

Megan,
Thanks for link.

Bill McDermott
07-13-2017, 6:30 PM
I bought a few of these when I had to pack up the shop to move. I sue them all the time for various things now. I submit that if you get one, you will find good uses for it. They are widely available for around $70. "Stanley Mobile Tool Chest - 50 gallon". Of course, you need a hatchback or a truck for this size. There are many alternative and smaller configurations as well. Apologies for the non-traditional, plastic suggestion. Fitted and filled with hand tools, it shows better when open. :)

Stew Denton
07-13-2017, 11:44 PM
Thanks Megan,

I read that article at my son in laws, but couldn't remember what month. He did a very nice job on the box.

Thanks again.

Stew

Thomas Schneider
07-14-2017, 8:55 AM
This is a more traditional carpenter's toolbox, a lot like Andy's above. The lid is long enough to hold a few handsaws. The tools were some of the contents of the box when I bought it. If you're interested I can take better pictures.

William Adams
07-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Neat!

I picked up a similar box, but of slightly more recent vintage and badly picked over, w/ only one drawer in the main section and a storage area in the drop down lid for a level (present and w/ a bit of concrete on it) and something which you don't mind getting dumped out every time you open it.

Do you have any photos of how the tools are stored inside it? I've never been able to achieve an arrangement I was satisfied with.

Danny Buie
07-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Stew,
Here is my solution. I have been helping a friend build a shop at his old home place about 60 miles away for me and 150 miles for him so no trips back to the shop to get stuff. I built an open top carpenters box about 25 years and it served its purpose but any box, bucket, or bag that is loaded from the top has the same problem in that the tool you need is always on the bottom and people borrow stuff and don't return it. This is just a dovetailed pine box.
Here is with the door open. Its big enough that I can get a full size framing square either in front of the drawers or behind the drawers depending expected usage. The three drawers are 1", 1.5" and 3". I elected to have a flat door rather than saw storage since I don't carry more than one saw although I could easily add another in the well. The trade off is for full depth drawers.
Here are the contents of the well.
Here are the three drawers.
Construction details.
This was an enjoyable project. It could be a lot simpler if I had used plywood.

Danny

Rick Malakoff
07-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Danny, that's a good lookin box!

Axel de Pugey
07-15-2017, 4:08 AM
Steve, Andy, thomas,

I agree this type of box can be very handy and proves to carry a lot.
I bought one in France, on mine the tray holds a compartment exactly fitting a stanley level and boxes for screws and nails.

Andy Nichols
07-15-2017, 3:55 PM
Alex:

Nice old box....

BTW My daughter lives in Arl, and her father in law is a finish carpenter....

Regards,
Andy

Steve, Andy, thomas,

I agree this type of box can be very handy and proves to carry a lot.
I bought one in France, on mine the tray holds a compartment exactly fitting a stanley level and boxes for screws and nails.

Axel de Pugey
07-17-2017, 1:09 PM
Well I originally bought the box for the tools that were sold with it, it was a not to be missed opportunity.
The box itself is not in a top of the range cosmetic state but is really strong and sturdy. As space is at a premium in my little shop, unfortunately the box ended up in the attic, empty.

I am now thinking of building my own, much smaller, just to have the minimum tolls for dovetailing when I go to my summer house.

At the end of the day a toolbox is so personnal it's difficult to stick to one model, but this thread and others can be of great inspiration.

I don't know Arles so much, but it is a nice town. That's a good base to visit the region.

Stew Denton
07-23-2017, 3:04 PM
Hi All,

The desire to make an improve tool box that travels well just got more intense.

My wife and I visited our younger daughter and her family, and returned on Friday. The problem was that I have not cleaned out my carpenters tool box, the one I usually travel with, from the last trip, and was forced to use a cardboard box! It was a real pain. I got there with the tools, but they were unhandy to get too in the box, even though the box had dividers. It is no good to work out of a cardboard box.

I will add more to this later, have to go for now.

Stew

Rick Malakoff
07-23-2017, 5:28 PM
See if your library has a copy of "The Toolbox Book" from Taunton Press. If it doesn't, see if you can get it on interlibrary loan. LOTS of ideas there.

I did buy a copy of the book and it arrived a few days ago cost under 8$ shipped and was new, from Amazon others sellers. I was thumbing thru and saw what I thought was my tool box and did a double take, but it was a job built box that was made by the author Jim Tolpin 25 years ago from pine scraps.

My box was made from lumber core Rosewood scraps/drops that I built in 1974 or 75, at this point I'm wondering how many boxes like these are floating around out there.364382 Tolpins tool box.364383Mine

Stew Denton
07-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Hi All,

As I mentioned in my earlier response today, my wife and I visited our younger daughter and family, and I had to take tools to work on items at their house. They had problems with new cabinets not working, with one of the cabinet doors having a joint come apart, and with having to modify one drawer so it could be used in the cabinet. The drawer that had to be modified was below a new built in range top, and the height of the drawer body was too tall to fit in the cabinet now and part of the back had to be cut out because of the gas and electrical lines to the range top.

A second drawer also needed to be worked on. There was a problem with the drawers/cabinet, and the installer made a 1/2 way effort to mount it, but left it with problems. Thus I carpentered quite bit. My son in law helped when he had time, and that was a huge help, because in some cases it took more hands than I have, and his longer arms could reach further back into the cabinets than I can. The drawer under the range top took a crazy amount of time to redo, I had to build a new mounting frame in the back of the cabinet, one that was very difficult to reach because of the drawer dividers etc.

I took all the tools I thought I might need, but did not take carpenters saws, etc., because my son in law has tools, including those.

The problem, as I mentioned earlier, was that I still had not unloaded the tool box I generally take on such trips, and the tools were not suitable for the task at hand. So.....I used a cardboard box which contained some dividers. Well, it got the tools there, but it was a disorganized mess, that could not be organized, and was a true pain to work out of.

I am now more motivated than ever, but of course time is a problem as I have carpentry work to do on our own house now that we are back. I am rebuilding a fence, have to rebuild a deck next, etc. etc. In the mean time, I still have day job that also has to be done. (When do I get to work on stuff that I just want to work on instead of stuff that needs to be done? Sigh.)

This whole fiasco did teach me a few things, however, since I was already thinking about a tool box that will travel easily.

What I am now thinking is building a couple of dedicated tool boxes, one for finish work, one for general carpentry. Both will be designed to travel well, and to help keep things organized, and both will be light enough to travel well, and designed so that you can work out of them. Both will have some open area in the bottom to allow for flexibility in what you can take. They will be of the size that I can carry fairly easily, and that both can be loaded in the vehicle easily if need be.

The ideas that I have seen so far have been great, so thanks for the ideas, photos, and comments so far. I hope others are getting as many ideas and benefits from the ideas presented as I have. I do hope more ideas and comments will be added.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

William Adams
07-23-2017, 11:05 PM
In addition to the dedicated tool box idea, you may want to consider having the boxes either stack, or connect in some way. One thing which I'd consider for your case is 3 boxes:

- finish work-specific tools (F)
- general carpentry tools (G)
- tools which are common to both finish work and general carpentry (C)

Then, I'd design the three boxes to stack or clip together somehow so that any of the reasonable combinations could be carried:

FC
GC
FCG

If the common tools were potentially useful on their own, I'd design the C box to be carried solo.

steven c newman
07-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Could have picked one of those up at a Yard Sale last weekend...didn't really need one....left it there. Oh,well.

Stanley Covington
07-25-2017, 8:38 PM
The OP said he wanted a "Carpenter's toolbox that travels easily." The "traveling" part is very important.

As has been discussed on other threads, the traditional wooden Japanese toolbox is seldom seen on jobsites in Japan anymore. They simply don't travel well. There are better-performing, more durable, more weatherproof options available nowadays made from extremely tough, durable, waterproof, high-impact plastic.

A guy that lives 50 yards from where I live and am writing this now has a construction company, and stacks his tools and materials stored in 20 or so of these boxes sitting exposed to the sun and rain in his driveway (space is tight in Tokyo). It is raining like a sunnofabitch right now.

These plastic toolboxes are easy to carry, don't break if you drop them, stack/nest neatly and securely in the back of the truck, and keep rain and snow out. Rain is a big deal for tools. The lid clamps on with the two attached stainless steel spring clips you can see in the pics, and will not come off by accident even if tipped on its side while rattling down the road in back of the truck. Very secure. Wooden boxes really can't compete.

I have been using them for a long time, and will not go back to my wooden boxes.

The boxes pictured below are made by an outfit in Gifu Prefecture called Risu Plastic Group (リス興行)and are the type most commonly seen on jobsites. These are not cheap. There are cheaper brands, but they break, as I know from experience. The quality and durability of the Risu product is exceptional.

I have never seen the use of this level of high-quality, high-impact plastic in a toolbox anywhere else. Certainly not in Chinese products.

The lid does permit water vapor/gases to escape from the inside of the box, so they make a great storage box for sharpening stones, and with the addition of a board spanning the opening, readily double as a perfectly leak-proof pond too.

Not sexy, but very functional.

Stan

PS: The red characters on the outside say "toolbox." They come in different colors, but this green with red lettering is all you ever see on construction sites. The center box has a drawer at the bottom. There is another model with two smaller drawers at the same location. The drawers can get a bit wet inside if left exposed to wind-driven sideways rain for a few days. The boxes with drawers are great for power tools providing easy access to blades and bits. I will need to ask the manufacturer if it is possible to get other writing on the outside.

https://jp.images-monotaro.com/Monotaro3/pi/full/mono02174627-1.jpghttps://jp.images-monotaro.com/Monotaro3/pi/full/mono37038881-110808-02.jpghttps://jp.images-monotaro.com/Monotaro3/pi/full/mono35317685-130304-02.jpg