PDA

View Full Version : This site may not be secure

Pat Barry
07-10-2017, 8:50 PM
That's the message I'm getting from Firefox. It keeps logging me off and making me re-enter my UserId and Password. This has a never happened before in all the years I have been signed in. In fact, I never sign out. Is there a site problem??

Bruce Page
07-10-2017, 8:52 PM
None that I know of. Everything's normal on my end.

Matt Meiser
07-10-2017, 9:14 PM
People still use Firefox?

Pat Barry
07-10-2017, 9:21 PM
Just happened again.

Bruce Wrenn
07-10-2017, 9:23 PM
People still use Firefox?YES! Keep it updated.

Jim Koepke
07-10-2017, 9:23 PM

Yes, some sites will only allow so many free visits a month. With some limited paywalls this seems to be related to the browser's cookies. Having more browsers makes for more free visits.

jtk

Pat Barry
07-10-2017, 9:30 PM
YES! Keep it updated.
Mine is always updated. Automatic updates are turned on. Its saying I should try an https:// server. Does SMC have one?

Pat Barry
07-10-2017, 9:33 PM
Here is what Mozilla is saying / recommneding:

Pat Barry
07-10-2017, 9:35 PM
Yes, some sites will only allow so many free visits a month. With some limited paywalls this seems to be related to the browser's cookies. Having more browsers makes for more free visits.

jtk

I don't think I follow what you are driving at. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem here though, with Firefox

Jim Koepke
07-10-2017, 9:40 PM
Here is what Mozilla is saying / recommneding:

My version of Firefox is rather old so it doesn't have all the security features of a newer version. It didn't have this issue with logging in.

For sites like SMC where none of my "secure data" is being sent my password is different from any passwords used if it requires security. Hackers can just hack away. Hopefully they will not post anything offensive with my account.

jtk

Bert Kemp
07-11-2017, 1:51 AM
Why wouldn't we use firefox? Its way better then IE

Lee Schierer
07-11-2017, 7:21 AM
I'm using Firefox 54.0.1 (32-bit) with no problems on either on my computers.

George Bokros
07-11-2017, 7:34 AM
I'm using Firefox 54.0.1 (32-bit) with no problems on either on my computers.

Using same version on two computers and no problems here either. That is just a warning that was built in to Firefox so you are aware that your are not on a secure website, one where you may not want to enter CC info or other private personal info.

Pat Barry
07-11-2017, 7:52 AM
Using same version on two computers and no problems here either. That is just a warning that was built in to Firefox so you are aware that your are not on a secure website, one where you may not want to enter CC info or other private personal info.
Its very annoying. I appreciate them telling me there might be a problem of course, but when they keep logging me off and then I need to re-login to see pictures, or reply, it gets to be a bit much. I might switch to Chrome

George Bokros
07-11-2017, 8:01 AM
Its very annoying. I appreciate them telling me there might be a problem of course, but when they keep logging me off and then I need to re-login to see pictures, or reply, it gets to be a bit much. I might switch to Chrome

I get the message but it does not log me off.

Keith Outten
07-11-2017, 8:59 AM
Secure servers are generally used when financial or sensitive information is being transferred. We have never used secure server software, that will change when we convert to Xenforo. In the meantime you might check your browser configuration to see if you can remove the nagging warnings.

Curt Harms
07-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Mozilla is one of the leaders of the "HTTPS everywhere" movement. I've not gotten a nag screen that Pat mentions though.

Lee Schierer
07-11-2017, 4:49 PM

Pat, go to Options in your Firefox tools tab and select Security and enter an exception for http://Sawmillcreek.org This will not reduce your security at any other site and should take care of your problem.

Pat Barry
07-11-2017, 7:40 PM
At home I get logged off. At work, I have no problems. Running the same (latest version) on both computers. Weird.

paul cottingham
07-12-2017, 1:11 AM
Yes, it beats running IE, and all the spyware it is vulnerable to.

Pat Barry
07-12-2017, 7:41 AM
Pat, go to Options in your Firefox tools tab and select Security and enter an exception for http://Sawmillcreek.org This will not reduce your security at any other site and should take care of your problem.
Good idea - I'll try that tonight. Thanks Lee!