PDA

View Full Version : Felder Bandsaws FB 510 + FB 610

Joshua Bass
07-10-2017, 12:25 PM
I am researching bandsaws and right now am considering either a Powermatic PM1500 or a Felder FB 510. One of the complains I saw about the Felder was the metric sized miter slot. Does anyone have experience with these saws? I'd like any feedback you can offer including how the non-standard miter slot has worked out for you.

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
07-10-2017, 1:06 PM
What is the slot? 19 mm?

Joshua Bass
07-10-2017, 1:28 PM
What is the slot? 19 mm?

I read another post claiming it was 12x7mm

Ben Rivel
07-10-2017, 1:35 PM
The miter slot on my Hammer N4400 is 5x15mm.

Matthew Hills
07-10-2017, 2:46 PM
Are there many commercial bandsaw accessories that require a 3/4 slot?
Most of the bandsaw jogs I've seen look custom-made (circle-cutting, tapering, dowels, mini-milling, etc) in which case I'd think milling your own runner would work fine.

Rod Sheridan
07-10-2017, 2:54 PM
Hi Joshua, the metric slot is just fine as you'll build your jigs to suit.

I have a log carriage that I made two guide bars for, one for the Felder, one for the General.

regards, Rod.

Joshua Bass
07-10-2017, 3:27 PM
The miter slot on my Hammer N4400 is 5x15mm.

Have you had any issues because of it? I guess no aftermarket miter slot accessories.

Jeff Monson
07-10-2017, 5:22 PM
Thats a pretty easy chioce the FB510 is a super nice saw. I've looked pretty close at both, and would not consider the PM vs a Felder. A Mini Max would be next on my list over the PM.

Ben Rivel
07-10-2017, 6:04 PM
Have you had any issues because of it? I guess no aftermarket miter slot accessories.
Nope as I have yet to need to use a miter gauge with my bandsaw. Dont need one for cutting curves, resawing or 90 degree cuts. I bought some aluminum bar stock from McMaster-Carr in the 5x15mm size and used that for a mini crosscut sled and was planning to adapt a lower end model Incra miter gauge with it, but like I said I still haven't felt I needed a miter gauge for my bandsaw.

Ben Rivel
07-10-2017, 6:06 PM
Thats a pretty easy chioce the FB510 is a super nice saw. I've looked pretty close at both, and would not consider the PM vs a Felder. A Mini Max would be next on my list over the PM.
And yea Id have to agree with this. While no I havent owned both, I have played with both and IMO nothing PM makes compares to an "equivalent function" Felder tool.

Tom Trees
07-10-2017, 7:30 PM
Hello
I don't think the miter slot size will make much difference, as I don't there's many useful or essential (if any) jigs that have
a 3/4 rail for a bandsaw.
From what I see Felder bandsaws (in Austria I guess) make use of an accompanying rail that runs 90 degrees to the fence rail for bigger tasks
and would be better for, say a log ripping jig.
I don't know if the Felder bandsaws in the States have this as standard, but I would have a look to see if there's holes, or hefty webbing where they would be at least, as you could easily replicate another rail from flat iron.
Here is the video I am referring to .....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUoHHdLex0
The Felder would be my choice or a used Minimax if you can lift one :)
Don't know how much extra those cost but guessing its a bit of a jump.
I would be in the Euro camp
Good luck with your saw purchase Joshua
Tom

Rick Fisher
07-11-2017, 5:04 AM
I bought a Mini Max 24 or a SP600 in 2016.. It was between the Mini Max and the Felder 610. I wouldn't consider the PM in a direct comparison because its made in Taiwan but that's just me.

The metric slot is a non issue to me. I never thought about it until this post. The reason I chose the MM was the two saws where the same price and I was more impressed with the fit and finish on the MM..

So far its been a really nice saw to use.

Mike King
07-11-2017, 8:35 AM
I have a FB510. I bought a miter gauge with it and have yet to use it. It runs smooth and powerful.

IMO, the bigger issue is the two 120mm dust collector outlets. I've got a 120mm flexible hose (bought from Felder), but it is damn inconvenient in my shop, where the bandsaw has to be moved, to hook up two hoses...

Mike

Keith Outten
07-11-2017, 9:39 AM
I own the FB 610. I machined custom sliders for my table saw jigs from Corian.

Tom Bain
07-11-2017, 11:58 AM
I have the FB 510, and it's been a great machine, although I've never had an occasion to use the miter slot. No experience with the PM.

Rick Fisher
07-11-2017, 9:44 PM
I own the FB 610. I machined custom sliders for my table saw jigs from Corian.

Good idea Keith.. I'm gonna remember that idea ..