PDA

View Full Version : Exposed gas line in kitchen

Stephen Tashiro
07-09-2017, 9:31 PM
In a house where the kitchen counters have a u-shaped arragnement, the gas oven/stove is on an arm of the u that runs away form the wall. The gas line to the oven runs from the wall to the stove under the overhang of the back of the counter, which is a wider than usual overhang, it's like a shelf, but not wide enough to be a bar top.

I assume this arrangement is within code, but if the counters are ever replaced then what options are there for dealing with the gas line in a different way?

The floor is a concrete slab, so re-routing the line through the floor would involve some work. Moving the stove to the wall would mean having to re-do the vent hood arrangement for the stove and removing some cabinets that are in the way.

Wayne Lomman
07-10-2017, 4:01 AM
I would expect the gas line to be chased into the floor in my jurisdiction. It could also run through the kicker space however, depending on your regulations. Cheers

Todd Mason-Darnell
07-10-2017, 7:40 AM
I would expect the gas line to be chased into the floor in my jurisdiction. It could also run through the kicker space however, depending on your regulations. Cheers

+1

It sounds like the place is a handyman special. The other alternative (not one I am crazy about) is that the gas line could run through the cabinets.

Roger Nair
07-10-2017, 12:28 PM
I think the pipe should be black steel with a shut-off valve, no soft copper tubing exposed to physical risk.

Stephen Tashiro
07-10-2017, 1:56 PM
I think the pipe should be black steel with a shut-off valve, no soft copper tubing exposed to physical risk.

It is a black steel pipe.

Bruce Wrenn
07-10-2017, 9:27 PM
It is a black steel pipe.Millions and millions of applications like this. To run through cabinets, line would have to be installed as cabinets were. (P-1 plumbing licensee for over 20 years.)