PDA

View Full Version : Moving a 900 x 600 laser engraver

Fred Nelson
07-09-2017, 2:34 PM
I just bought a used 36" x 24" 80 watt laser engraver. If I move it 25 miles on a trailer, should I remove the laser tube for transport or will it be OK in the housing? Thanks, Fred

Bert Kemp
07-09-2017, 3:18 PM
Not saying don't remove it , its probably best if you have a safe way to pak and transport. But I moved a 6040- 60watt from Ohio to AZ just strapped in the back of my P/U and it was fine didn't even have to re align .
Just Sayin

Kev Williams
07-09-2017, 3:58 PM
IMO the safest place it can be is in the box it's mounted in-- These things seem to have a good record making it across the pond and across all our wonderful highways en route to our workshops unscathed. Seems more likely to mess it up by removing it. (would be for ME anyway) ;)

Fred Nelson
07-09-2017, 4:07 PM
Thank you Bert and Kev. The drive is on highways, no bumpy pavement. My trailer has springs, but no shocks, but travels pretty smoothly. The tube is mounted correctly with padded straps, so I think I will go for it. It will be early tomorrow before the traffic gets out too.

Bert Kemp
07-09-2017, 4:47 PM
let us know how it went

Mike Lysov
07-09-2017, 10:02 PM
If it uses a glass tube I would remove it and move separately.

Darren Wilson
07-10-2017, 9:57 AM
I transported a 36EXT from Syndey to Melbourne in a iLoad van with no issues. Heavy unit make sure you have plenty of help to lift it!

Jerome Stanek
07-10-2017, 4:13 PM
I hauled mine with the tube installed about 500 miles with no problems

Matt McCoy
07-10-2017, 4:33 PM
If the tube is completely enclosed within the frame of the machine, it should be OK. If it has the bolt-on housing that extends for the tube, I would remove it.

Rich Harman
07-11-2017, 3:09 AM
I left my tube installed when I moved mine. I think the main risk is when loading or unloading. If you were to drop the machine onto a hard surface the shock would be transferred to the glass tube. During transport the tube is protected from damaging shocks by the mass of the machine and the vehicle it is in.

Jerome Stanek
07-11-2017, 7:25 AM
If the tube is completely enclosed within the frame of the machine, it should be OK. If it has the bolt-on housing that extends for the tube, I would remove it.

Mine has the add on extension

Matt McCoy
07-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Mine has the add on extension

Oh, I would still remove it. That's how mine was shipped and it only takes 5-10 minutes. The extension housing is a tempting handle to pick up and maneuver the machine through doors. Moot point if flex is reduced by the absence of the housing.

Scott Marquez
07-11-2017, 3:44 PM
I would personally leave my tube in for transport, ensuring that no wires are unsupported.
I would also take the time to secure the gantry because it will move, without power applied to the motors.
Scott

Robert Bonenfant
07-11-2017, 7:37 PM
I would say remove it - It only takes one quick smack into a wall or someone to set the machine down too hard to get a $500 Replacement Tube Bill (100 watt Long Life)
It takes me 10 minutes to unbolt a tube and wrap it in a moving blanket (a quick Shrink Wrap Helps too) $500 savings for 10 minutes of work priceless lol :-)
The glass they use on these tubes are very thin. Im assuming you bought a Chinese Machine and not a speedy or something with a metal tube.

Added : Would you move a china cabinet with a $500 glass vase in it???

Rich Harman
07-11-2017, 9:02 PM
The glass they use on these tubes are very thin. Im assuming you bought a Chinese Machine and not a speedy or something with a metal tube.

Added : Would you move a china cabinet with a $500 glass vase in it???

My Reci tube was surprisingly tough when it came time to break it so that I could send Reci a photo of the destroyed tube. It was not nearly as fragile as I thought.

Yes, I would move a china cabinet with a $500 glass vase in it - if said vase was securely mounted to the cabinet.

Robert Bonenfant
07-11-2017, 9:44 PM
We had to do the same and it took a simple toss in the dumpster, My drinking glasses at home are harder to break lol (Easily double the thickness) - Picture below to show the glass thickness. Im just saying its quick and easy to save yourself a head ache but we all have our own way of doing things. - Side Note : Company told me to destroy broken tube, so i throw it in the dumpster. Than the next day they wanted a picture :confused: had to dumpster dive.

Fred Nelson
07-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Due to several factors, (including approaching bad weather) I decided to leave it in the case. It was completely enclosed, secure, and the roads were smooth. I strapped the machine in the trailer 4 ways and lowered the air pressure a bit in the tires for a smoother ride. Also I was going to be the one moving it and we had a fork lift available at the destination. The trip went smoothly, machine removal was without any drops or shocks to the machine. It worked out fine. I was willing to remove it, but didn't want to get caught in the bad weather on the roads that day, so leaving the tube in position saved the time I needed. It lives to engrave another day....