PDA

View Full Version : Photo Bucket may have just messed up this site, and other similar sites, bigtime.

Bill Dufour
07-08-2017, 9:21 PM
My post keeps disappearing as I type so I link to the message below.
Not sure how this relates to this site exactly but I have seen many nice explanatory photos on this site and others where the text alone is not very useful.
Bill D.

PS: I learned a new term today... "Link rot". were old embedded links lead to dead sites that no longer work.

It appears Photobucket now wants $ 399. A year from each person that uses or used their service for all the photos they host to show up on forums like this. I see that my photos of which there my be thousands on the PM are now blocked.

It will be interesting to see what a move like this does to their business, I'm sure it goes a long way towards making very unhappy customers.

Rollie Meyers
07-08-2017, 9:26 PM
I am going to download my photos on Photobucket & delete them, their management can go play on the freeway as far as I am concerned, & yes, it's going to play havoc on a lot of websites. :(

Frederick Skelly
07-08-2017, 9:27 PM
Yes, I think Julie Moriarty and a few others mentioned it this last week. It's a bummer and it WILL impact us. Lots of PB users here. (IIRC, TOS say to post to SMC rather than linking to photos elsewhere. Partially to protect against stuff like this, I suspect.)

Edit: Guess I remembered it right! Here's the thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?255962-Lost-Pictures&p=2704717#post2704717)if you want to follow both conversations.

ken hatch
07-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Yep, I'm one of the, not sure what word to use, other than user of photobucket who has been screwed. The good news I have the photos on my hard drive as well and over time I will re-link most of them. Over the 12 or so years I've used photobucket I looked at a lot of bad ads which will no longer be clicked through. Whatever, other than being upset I'm not sure where the up-side is for photobucket.

ken

Dave Anderson NH
07-09-2017, 9:17 AM
We have always asked members to post directly to SMC and not use photo sharing services exactly for this reason. Over time things change and to retain the integrity of posts with photos links to outside can become problematic as you are now seeing.

Jim Becker
07-09-2017, 10:10 AM
There is already a discussion on this in the Forum Help forum

Jim
Forum Moderator

Frederick Skelly
07-09-2017, 11:08 AM
There is already a discussion on this in the Forum Help forum

Jim
Forum Moderator

Yup. I linked to it in post #3.

John Terefenko
07-10-2017, 11:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/Copy%20of%20IMGP0106_zpsfzwj6ddw.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JTTHECLOCKMAN/media/Copy%20of%20IMGP0106_zpsfzwj6ddw.jpg.html)

I just copied and pasted a photo from my account. Not sure what you are talking about.

Alan Rutherford
07-11-2017, 9:54 AM
Here's how you can use Google to find your forum posts with Photobucket images. If your name is John Doe, in the Google search box enter:

site:sawmillcreek.org photobucket.com "John Doe"

Google will find pages on this site with your name and links to Photobucket. It will also find any pages with your name in one post and someone else's PB link in another, but it's the best I can offer. It will work on any site - just change the relevant parts. If you have a one-word user name or a unique first or last name, you can use that without the quotes.

You can't fix the links because you can't edit the posts, but at least you'll know where they are.

SMC: maybe you could loosen up on the editing cutoff for this?

John Terefenko
07-11-2017, 10:44 PM
I just see my photo has now been erased and it is calling for an update. I am not paying any company for photo storage. I have been with photo bucket for many years and now they are going to start charging. Well they will not charge me.

Yonak Hawkins
07-12-2017, 10:34 AM
I don't use PhotoBucket. I am wondering, however, if you don't pay for an account do you no longer have access to your photos ? Are they holding your photos hostage ?

Don Kondra
07-12-2017, 11:13 AM
I still have access to my photo's on Photobucket, I just can't link/embed them into posts on forums anymore.

I can however post a link to whatever I want to share.

Cheers, Don

ron david
07-14-2017, 11:58 PM
cut and paste this photo from google photos
this was a prop off the boat, "Iroquois" which sank off Sidney,B.C. in 1911. my uncle Prosper was a deckhand on her that day. he did survive
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DmrSsWC0oxpDUtc6o1gmsk28qByaaJrVePgt9dZSzLA0a2jgMo pdL4dPXwYABz7hMfOHeZ1v_2xhgK0IHjRiDowhfLJXo3Hq8QSz MwQge8bWiIEW_umS-vivNXWrzWtIiXbY_n0AlxCQomPj2v6Co1bfM_PLbNbLbox4txL YH2yp-mEGXxgKJtD8MvNeEBh7nxRYvZ0miDCeXC9Hj2f4jFehvXX3Oa8 QSOKY3Gaa2AbZyIFK8d_DlKaVNkjeQN6zbY6XIfqXv-tWmMOBHRMsaIp0ljRjn6fo4-lo12dGDQZ4qMb0HAwkVRNFil8FTTa8VnX5QrTbj_4aiVPOUEh1 toCNsnfUgVaUSITUZa_D2GvPe88ZJE5tSeAuJlgSeK4YS-RxUebEeP-7csC6ZQfxZ-5j3UlilA9y7w3Tp_tBPEZcjFqK8jKMSVR_rYtXUNbv9IWjHaEj cxBcpSYcPM2xZ5Y5xIcxOvI0md6vGMjp3MSUZagu7b6xnXpdYe 6Qj5hvNkgltuyJRTDG6temenbprBSsMwPvIMPXOZ0OPwqJ7WrG dtNjT2Qt4BKMBsKdqba0idZWl9XfyLmvEUTYiXuIN7LZV36V95 DEp-ZjEvrdTRNv1U_QOZYcOrfcOA=s950-no

on the google image ; right click and click on; copy image address and enter it in the image box here. click on url and paste it in the box that opens
and then click on the little box with the check mark to eliminate it and then ok
and what Don says pb links still work
http://s908.photobucket.com/user/padresag/library/furniture?sort=3&page=1
http://s908.photobucket.com/user/padresag/library/turned%20works?sort=3&page=1
ron

Keith Outten
07-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Sometime in the future all of the free picture hosting sites will disappear. The list of those who went offline over the years is pretty long now so its reasonable to think that they all have a short future as the costs associated with hosting continues to increase.

This morning I had to remove a major thread here because the OP's pictures were all dead links. This made the whole thread useless when you consider that it was a "How To" kind of post, without the pictures your could not grasp the intent of the thread. What is sad about having to remove entire threads is that the people who took their time to reply and post their pictures in this particular thread also lost their posts. People give freely of their time here to help their peers and to contribute their expertise so everyone loses when pictures and other file attachments become dead links.

Please upload your file attachments here so they will remain online for everyone to enjoy. I have also mentioned in the past that you might have a son, daughter, or grandchild who finds what you have shared after you are gone...think about how precious it might be to you if you could find pictures and posts your grandfather made that were still available for your family. This February will be our 15th anniversary, all of the pictures that have been uploaded here are still available for you to enjoy. I don't have the current total but I can tell you that in 2014, 2015, and 2016 there were well over 50,000 pictures uploaded to SawMill Creek.

I have never assumed ownership of any files or text that anyone has shared here. All information, pictures and other file attachments have always remained the property of the owner and cannot be used by anyone other than SawMill Creek without written permission from the owner.

Don Kondra
07-15-2017, 2:52 PM
This morning I had to remove a major thread here because the OP's pictures were all dead links

I'm assuming these were Photobucket images ?

If so, the OP could still post the link to the album on Photobucket.

Awkward but still better than loosing the thread.

Cheers, Don

Frederick Skelly
07-15-2017, 4:31 PM

Cheers, Don

Assuming that the OP still visits SMC, right? :D

ron david
07-15-2017, 5:32 PM

Cheers, Don
Hey Don; on another forum that I go to which is for vehicles,"Chevttalk.com", this is what the owner is doing there. "As a result of this BS from Photobucket, I have enabled the editing function for all users.

Any users can now go into previously created posts ( that they created only ) and change links ,content, or otherwise update information from as far back as the original post time."
I think that is pretty good of him and it has been around since 99 or 2000.
maybe though with his forum setup he is capable of doing that where others may not be able to.
ron

Rich Riddle
07-19-2017, 8:05 PM
This will have a huge impact on OWWM where they don't allow direct posting of pictures.

ron david
09-12-2017, 3:18 PM
to bring photobucket images back to life on your computer there are some add on avail and they work. tried it
firefox. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=ss
chrome. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj
ron