PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #50 beading plane

Bob Oehler
10-25-2005, 2:40 PM
Hi All:
Has anyone here used a Stanley #50 beading plane and if so how do you like it. I know I am in the correct place for this questions.
Are older wood beading planes better in the long run???

Many Thanks
Bob Oehler

John Edwards
10-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Bob,
The Stanley 50 is more correctly called a plow plane. While very popular in the UK (where I believe most were made) you don`t see many of them here. A compared to the 45 or 55.

It is a great, lightweight tool for plowing grooves or rabbets. Simple in design and very effective.
The onus is the word lightweight. Not the best choice for taking (a) heavy(s) cut in dense hardwoods. In that case you would be better off using a 46 with it`s skewed blade.

I use mine for cutting the grooves for drawer bottoms. As with any plow a sharp cutter is a must. Start at the END of the groove. Make a shallow cut. Back up a few inches and repeat. The idea is to let the cutter create it`s own path to follow. Soon you will find a nicely cut groove the length of your workpiece.

Due to serious vision problems I use handtools on most all of my projects. Much safer and much more satisfying. My shop would be lost without one.

Another similar tool is the Record 044 and it`s little brother the 043. Any of the three would handle your needs.

Again though, if a single tool is your desire and also one with a greater amount of uses the 46 is hard to beat. I have two of them. Both completely renickeled and fitted out with Coccobolo handles and fences. Blades can be had from Jim Reed in Florida or Bob Howard at St. James Bay. The skewed blade is what sets it apart for cutting cross grain.

Mike Wenzloff
10-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi Bob,

My guess is the #50 Beading plane, because it was available with plow blades, was used as much or more for that than beads. However, it does work well on tame woods for beading too.

I have and use a #55. I also have some wood side and center beads. I think they (the wood ones) work more efficiently if for no other reason than the sole contact and close mouth.

But they are heck on wheels for grooving for drawer bottoms, as was mentioned.

Mike

Alice Frampton
10-26-2005, 3:26 AM
Hi Bob,

Yep, I have - both US and UK versions, which differ slightly. It's not a bad plane at all, or its cousin the Record #050. Actually the Record is arguably a slightly better plane; screw depth adjustment and a different design of narrow cutter clamping bracket. More versatile than a stand alone plow, but not so heavy or complicated as a #45/#405 or #55. Personally, like John, I find it a little light in weight, but I know many, many happy users who prefer it over something heavier. Unlike John I'm not especially wild about the #46, except in cross grain work when it's the business.

As long as the cutters are sharp and the wood is reasonable straight and clear, those that are capable of it all work fine as beading planes. Here's an example in cherry:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/album/albums/userpics/10001/normal_sidetables028.jpg

I've a load of wooden ones sitting on a shelf I haven't even bothered to tune up. :D

Cheers, Alf

Bob Oehler
10-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the replys
I think that I will start looking for a stanly 50 to add to the growing plane collection. I may want to get some wood molding planes in the future though.
If I get one at a price that is right I will put up a gloat about it.

Many Thanks

Bob Oehler

Pedro Reyes
10-28-2005, 1:55 PM
I own a Record 50 and I am very happy w/it. I'm not very experienced and not really having much to compare it to (Stanley 78 is the closest thing), so take this with a grain of salt.

As mentioned before, it works great on straight grained woods, it is simple enough yet very versatile. I've read it is better (easier to use) than a 45 or 55 (not as complete). I got mine with a nice box and all the cutters, pleasure to use.

Pedro