PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Miter Saws--Cheapie Solution

Jerry Bittner
10-25-2005, 2:27 PM
After reading about the Rousseau Downdrafter and seeing the pictures on Amazon.com, I figured it might be worth trying to save the $139 or more they want for it with a poor man's substitute.

So I went and got a plastic storage container from the Borg and with an 4" dust colletor fitting for a jointer and a stand from an old Halogen light, I put together what you see in the attached photos.

It doesn't catch all the dust, but I'd say about 90%. Although the Rousseau looks a lot better, I figured for the cost of the plastic bin (5 bucks), the dust collector fitting ($10 or so) and although I had a stand, (easily made), I saved enough to justify a new tool. At least that's my story to the LOML.

Steve Beadle
10-25-2005, 2:56 PM
I made a similar collection arrangement for my CMS, but I used one of those "Big Gulp" scoops and mounted it on a board behind the saw. It will also turn with the rotating saw table to the left or the right, within limits. I am still working on the design so that it is easier to work with when doing miters. I need to move the whole saw set-up so that there is more room behind. Dust collection from a CMS (mine is not a sliding type) is a challenge, but you've come up with a workable solution. Thanks for sharing!

David Pettibone
10-25-2005, 3:00 PM
Jerry,

There ain't nothing wrong with that. If it works, it works. If you wanted, you could probably put in some stiff cardboard or something similar and slope it towards the 4 inch hole. Use duct tape to attach it and it would probably catch 95% of the dust or more. Nice job!!!!!:)
David