PDA

View Full Version : center mount drawer slides, full extension.

Bill Dufour
07-07-2017, 7:13 PM
I am looking for center mount drawer slides that allow full extension. They are either 3/4 extension. or no information provided. 3/4 extension will not work for a kitchen cabinet with cookie sheets.
Bill

Brice Rogers
07-07-2017, 7:49 PM
I am making some drawers for under my wood lathe and recently selected some bottom-mount slides. I bought the slides at Home Despot. :) I prefer these for the following reasons:

If I overload the drawer the load is directly transferred to the slides and there is less chance of the drawer bottoms to separate from the sides.

The bottom-mount slides seem easier to install and get in the right position. Virtually no measuring. The front of the stationery part sits flat on the face opening and about 2 mm back from the front (if it was zero or 4 mm, I doubt that it would matter). The rear of the stationary part is spaced vertically 1/4 inch from level or the bottom of the opening. The entire portion attaching to the drawer are connected directly to the bottom of the drawer. So for that part there is really no measurement or chance to mess things up.

I'm wondering if the center mount slides offer some advantages of which I am unaware. PLease feel free to fill me in.

Full extension slides are nice. If your cookie sheets are being held vertically, I can understand why you want full extension. But if they are flat and horizontal, you may want to reconsider that constraint.

Bill Dufour
07-07-2017, 9:44 PM
I only have 13.5 inches to make the drawer fit in the opening. Side mounts make the drawer no more then 12.5 inches at the widest. Bottom mount it can be at least 13.25 wide. her biggest frying pan is 13" wide. So the drawer can have sides just under 6" tall and the pan will fit. Or maybe a notch in taller sides.
Actually I wonder if a side mount slide can be turned on edge and used as a center mount unit?
Bill D

Jerry Miner
07-07-2017, 11:15 PM
I wonder if a side mount slide can be turned on edge and used as a center mount unit?
Bill D

Yes you can take a side-mount slide (like a KV 8400) and turn it flat and use it as a bottom-mount--- but the load capacity is substantially reduced: a 100# slide becomes a 35# slide.

Is the space too tight for a Blum 563H? (You only lose 5/8" in width with 1/2" drawer sides). I think I would use the Blum and notch the drawer box sides to accommodate the pan-- would be a nice custom touch and the slides would be a class above the KV or another center-mount. My .02

Brice Rogers
07-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Bill, I had originally misunderstood your post. I confused your center-of-the-drawer slide with the ones that go on the sides in the center of the vertical sides.
It would seem that trying to fit a 13" wide frying pan on a 13.25 inch wide drawer is going to be a challenge. I suppose that you could make a removeable "platform" that drops onto the drawer, on which the pan lays on the top of the drawer and centered left-to-right/back to front.
If this isn't her favorite frying pan, perhaps consider tossing it and replacing it with a 12"...or make the drawer wider. I suppose that you could put the fry pan in at an angle, but that could lose you some volume.

Brice Rogers
07-08-2017, 11:11 PM
My wife has a nice kitchen with lots of cabinet space. Behind one of the overhead cabinet fronts is a place where the oversize things like cookie sheets and pans are placed in a vertical orientation. The overhead cabinet space isn't as easily accessed as the lower drawers, but it is great for large items. There are vertical spacers every few inches to keep the big flat things from sliding sideways.

BTW, you are lucky that your wife doesn't have a 14 inch pan - - then you'd need to make the drawer opening looking like an old fashioned keyhole (or make the drawer opening wider). ;)

Bill Dufour
07-09-2017, 1:53 AM
Actually the big cookie sheets are stored in the tv cabinet. Those tall narrow doors with pullout shelves inside for VHS tapes. I removed the pullouts and we store baking sheets on edge in there.
Bill

Bill Dufour
07-09-2017, 2:05 AM
This project was supposed to be a nice easy replace the electric stove with gas and a bigger fridge. the gas line was already installed. but... closer inspection showed it went up the wall but they had builtin a cabinet in front of the pipe. So I had to cut the gas line and move it over about 18 inches so it was behind the stove.
DPO had drilled a 3/8 hole vertical dead center on a 2x6 floor joist for water supply to fridge. I had to move it over and back about 1.5 inches to clear the joist and be behind the bigger fridge. I used 1/2 pex and tied it to the hot water line as recommended.
While I was under there I added another counter top outlet fed from below. My preferred location had a fireblock so I had to lay the outlet on it's side. Drilling up from the crawl space I found out there was another fireblock about 18" off the floor. My 16" drill bits did not tell me this and I spent several days crawling around wondering where the wire was going.
I have yet to find a stud sensor that works on my hardcoat plaster walls over button board. Cell phones do not like the plaster either.
Bill D