PDA

View Full Version : JDS air purifier

Randall Kline
10-25-2005, 2:20 PM
Normally posts are to ask questions, but I just wanted to put a plug in for JDS. I was going to purchase a Jet air purifier for my shop, and someone purchased for me a JDS 750-ER air purifier instead as a gift. I had never heard of JDS, and I was a little disappointed. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth I installed the 62 pound box on my ceiling (which wasn't easy). I plugged it in and turned it on. All I heard was a 60 Hz hum. No air movement. I took the post filter off and looked inside to find that the motor and cage fin assembly was horribly crooked. It was a shipping problem, and not an assembly issue. The box wasn't damaged though, so I didn't have a claim against the shipper. The box was dropped flat on its side causing the weight of the motor to drop to one side.

I couldn’t make a claim against the shipper, and the box was already broken down so shipping it back would have been a problem. In desperation I called JDS to see what they could do for me. I talked to a very nice guy at JDS who understood my situation. He said that he would walk me through repairing the unit without violating the warranty. I took his instructions, and with a little effort, I was able to repair the unit. It now runs very quiet with massive airflow.

The plug here for JDS is that not only do they make a fine product, but their customer service really was surprisingly good. If you’re in the market for an air purifier for your shop consider JDS.

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

Bruce Page
10-25-2005, 2:31 PM
I've had the JDS 750 for a few years and I'm still very happy with mine. JDS was making the air cleaner/purifier long before Jet started selling theirs. In fact, the Jet, Delta and others, are based on the JDS.

Byron Trantham
10-25-2005, 4:42 PM
Bruce is right. I have been using mine for several years with no problems. It still amazes me how much dust the thing collects! You get many years of good service from it.

Gary Kittleson
10-25-2005, 6:11 PM
as mine is being shipped as I type!

Thanks for the confidence, and for sharing.

Gary;)

Boyd Gathwright
10-25-2005, 11:11 PM
.... As far as I know, to date, you can't get any better. I have three in my shop. Slid each one of those units up the ladder and attached them to there respective chains, four in all per unit, by myself ;).

Boyd

Normally posts are to ask questions, but I just wanted to put a plug in for JDS. I was going to purchase a Jet air purifier for my shop, and someone purchased for me a JDS 750-ER air purifier instead as a gift. I had never heard of JDS, and I was a little disappointed. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth I installed the 62 pound box on my ceiling (which wasn't easy). I plugged it in and turned it on. All I heard was a 60 Hz hum. No air movement. I took the post filter off and looked inside to find that the motor and cage fin assembly was horribly crooked. It was a shipping problem, and not an assembly issue. The box wasn't damaged though, so I didn't have a claim against the shipper. The box was dropped flat on its side causing the weight of the motor to drop to one side.

I couldn’t make a claim against the shipper, and the box was already broken down so shipping it back would have been a problem. In desperation I called JDS to see what they could do for me. I talked to a very nice guy at JDS who understood my situation. He said that he would walk me through repairing the unit without violating the warranty. I took his instructions, and with a little effort, I was able to repair the unit. It now runs very quiet with massive airflow.

The plug here for JDS is that not only do they make a fine product, but their customer service really was surprisingly good. If you’re in the market for an air purifier for your shop consider JDS.

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

Chris Giles
10-26-2005, 6:01 AM
What Lie-Neilson is to handplanes, JDS is to small shop air filtration units. I believe over the course of my lifelong woodworking career, my JDS will buy me about twenty more years on this planet. Every shop that generates dust should have at least one!

Randall Kline
10-26-2005, 2:00 PM
Thanks for your comments! Considering my initial experience I wasn't sure about the purchase, but I feel great about it now.

I won't even tell you how I got mine up to the ceiling. ;)

Gary Kittleson
10-29-2005, 2:49 PM
The JDS is hung in my garage...very nice, although it is a little louder than I had expected.

Oh well, at least it makes CLEAN air!

Gary

Rob Russell
10-30-2005, 9:34 AM
The JDS is hung in my garage...very nice, although it is a little louder than I had expected.

Oh well, at least it makes CLEAN air!

Gary

Actually - that may not be totally true. I have a JDS and it does a nice job of filtering out the dust that you can see floating around in the air. There is a supposed problem with the JDS and JDS-style filters in that they don't capture the really small dust particles (smaller than 5 microns). The JDS is effective at keeping those particles stirred up so you have a better chance of breathing them in.

It would be nice if there were some way an OSHA or similar group could do a test on these air filters to see how effective they are and if they really do cause problems with the very fine dust particles by keeping the suspended in air longer.

A good indication of this is that if you leave the JDS running for a while, I've had a layer of very fine dust on surfaces. Run a test - take a plane, wipe the bottom clean and leave it sitting upside down on a benchtop with the JDS running for a few hours. See if the plane collects a layer of dust.

Rob

Dick Heifner
10-30-2005, 9:55 PM
I had 2 deliverd to me and both were bound up and would not run, sent them both back to Amazon and got the jet , no problems.
Dick:)

Bob Marino
10-31-2005, 7:46 AM
Rob,

I also wish there were hard facts as to the effectiveness of these types of filters - what you mention is a real eye opener, as to whether these filters are in fact making matters worse. I wonder if placing the filter at a much lower level in the workplace would make a difference?

Bob

Actually - that may not be totally true. I have a JDS and it does a nice job of filtering out the dust that you can see floating around in the air. There is a supposed problem with the JDS and JDS-style filters in that they don't capture the really small dust particles (smaller than 5 microns). The JDS is effective at keeping those particles stirred up so you have a better chance of breathing them in.

It would be nice if there were some way an OSHA or similar group could do a test on these air filters to see how effective they are and if they really do cause problems with the very fine dust particles by keeping the suspended in air longer.

A good indication of this is that if you leave the JDS running for a while, I've had a layer of very fine dust on surfaces. Run a test - take a plane, wipe the bottom clean and leave it sitting upside down on a benchtop with the JDS running for a few hours. See if the plane collects a layer of dust.

Rob

Chris Giles
10-31-2005, 8:03 AM
I don't believe these machines are intended to be left on all the time. Like any other machine in the workshop, it needs to be turned on and off judiciously. I don't know about everyone, but dust starts flying in my shop within about ten minutes of my arrival, and I know I'm going to be breathing a whole lot less of it with the JDS going. But after the dust making operations are completed, I take off my dust respirator, leave the shop for about ten to fifteen minutes with the JDS still running, and when I return the air is pretty darn clear. I have no doubt that some airborn dust particles remain, so I open the doors and turn on the exhaust fan to clear the remaining. When I am assembling or setting machines up, I leave it off because it will certainly stir up fine particles of dust that are better left at rest. In my shop this machine clears the air much faster than my exhaust fan, and in the New England winters it is a godsend not to have to open and close the doors all day long. I wouldn't think of being without it.

Jim Becker
10-31-2005, 8:59 AM
Setting realistic expectations about a tool like this is paramount. They are not dust collectors. They do not replace dust collection systems. They can be very helpful in removing a good portion of the suspended materail in the air from operations that cannot take advantage of the DC...and largely function to help keep your shop a little cleaner. As pointed out, they do not have any real impact on personal health.

I have had the JDS for about 6 years and it has performed flawlessly for what I ask it to do...and I only run it when spraying finishes (all water bourne) or doing an inordinate amount of hand sanding. I occasionally employ it to move the air around a little during the "heating" season... ;) But I don't expect it to protect "me"...there are more effective methods for that.

Bruce Page
10-31-2005, 9:15 AM
Setting realistic expectations about a tool like this is paramount. They are not dust collectors. They do not replace dust collection systems. They can be very helpful in removing a good portion of the suspended materail in the air from operations that cannot take advantage of the DC...and largely function to help keep your shop a little cleaner. As pointed out, they do not have any real impact on personal health.

I have had the JDS for about 6 years and it has performed flawlessly for what I ask it to do...and I only run it when spraying finishes (all water bourne) or doing an inordinate amount of hand sanding. I occasionally employ it to move the air around a little during the "heating" season... ;) But I don't expect it to protect "me"...there are more effective methods for that.

Well said. These things were not intended to turn your shop into a Class "A" Clean Room.

Randall Kline
11-01-2005, 12:24 PM
In reply to comment #10, it sounds like he had the same issue I did. I called JDS and had the matter resolved without having to ship anything back. Shippers will destroy these things, and given he purchased his from Amazon as well I'm wondering how well Amazon handles their merchandise in the warehouse. I wouldn't make that a blanket statement against JDS.

As for noise, I find it very quiet. It comes down to reasonable expectation. I can't hear the motor at all, but I do hear a *lot* of airflow through four filters. Air moving through filters makes noise. There's nothing anybody can do to alter that.

I agree that they aren't designed to turn my garage into a clean room. It's the difference between clean air and cleaner air. If I can't have perfectly clean air I'd at least like cleaner air. :)