PDA

View Full Version : How did they achieve this continuous multi-level laser etching of a SS tumber?

Doug Fisher
07-07-2017, 1:31 AM
I am curious about the technique used to achieve "continuous" image etching like in the following examples of laser etched powder coated SS tumblers. The images appear to stay proportionally correct and relatively detailed (e.g the rifle in the white example below), even through the area of steep reduction in circumference. A long lens like a 4", raising the bottom of the tumbler in the rotary to achieve level from top to bottom, and intentional distortion of the graphic to match the reduction in circumference between the top of the tumbler and the bottom of the tumbler?

John Lifer
07-07-2017, 7:58 AM
Angle that tumbler, and long lens. There was a guy on the Epilog FB page doing similar last fall that discussed his technique and his looked really good. Had some trucks and cars that were covering most of the cup. I know with my 50mm I can go over the edge a bit, but it doesn't look as good, and takes a lot of cleaning. Haven't tried full length. I myself would run the GOT twice to get the wording looking good and then the hand/crown. and there is enough separation in helos and rest to run them separate. I was questioning if they Were lasered, but I think I see streaks in the black cup. Not positive on top cup, you have two colors there, and are you Sure it wasn't vinyl pull? :)

Doug Fisher
07-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the insights, John. I came across their ad for custom laser engraved tumblers on Craigslist. Later, I found their Etsy site where they show their Epilog Fusion M2. Would the fiber laser component of the system help them achieve success across the steep transition area? Regardless, the effect is very nice and sets them apart from the gazillion other sellers of SS tumblers. I only did a quick glance at their website but it didn't appear they charged extra for these more involved graphics.

Tim Bateson
07-07-2017, 10:14 AM
...they show their Epilog Fusion M2. Would the fiber laser component of the system help them achieve success across the steep transition area?....

Not possible with the M2 Fusion Fiber. Even if it were (it's not) we are talking about 3-4 hours per mug. The M2 Fiber has to be 100% level/flat and obviously this mug is not. Also using a Fiber to produce this type of Black mark, which looks fantastic when it's done, is so slow that it just isn't cost effective.

Mike Null
07-07-2017, 10:17 AM
I doubt that I could do that with my machine nor would I want to. That has to be a $30 per cup engraving job at least. I would also expect that the reject rate would be rather high.

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade but it's not my cup of tea.

Doug Fisher
07-07-2017, 10:48 AM
I forgot to add this image that shows a better example of maintaining nice text and graphics through the steep transition area. Congrats to them for nice work however they achieve it.

Mike Null
07-07-2017, 10:53 AM
In my opinion, that's the work of an amateur. The art should be sized to fit the obvious engraving area. Doing oversized engraving doesn't serve anybody.

Kev Williams
07-07-2017, 2:48 PM
Not to be harsh (honest) but look close and you'll see they didn't maintain anything- the clue is that the logo is a circle, and the radius of that circle at the bottom is MUCH smaller than the radius at the top. It still looks good, but they didn't do any trapezoid adjustment at all. It's not that hard to do either--

This is my setup progression for these wine glasses--
The logo is supposed to have nearly straight sides,
slightly narrower at the bottom- this is the graphic that
engraved the glass below...

But, the engraving is severely tapered narrower at the top
due to the diameter change...

The fix: measure the offset, and reverse it on the graphic...

--and when engraved, the diameter and taper
offset each other, and the logo sides are much better now :D

-you do the same thing with shot glasses...

==============

The engraving on those cups is very good and pretty time consuming to do, and they look great as-is. :)