PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Mini Question

Torie Robinson
07-06-2017, 9:50 AM
Hi Sawmill Creek Community,

I am a first time poster looking for some advice or guidance. I am interested in buying my first laser cutter and have been in contact with someone locally who is selling their Epilog Mini 24 (30 watt). I’ve visited and seen it in action - cut and engrave some specific designs of mine. It looks in great working order and well cared for.

From what I know: it is about 4 years old, I would be the third owner, and its seen only light usage over the past 2 years as a hobby machine working primarily with wood and paper. The original owner utilized it for custom sign making. Its only known repair is a laser tube/cartridge recharge by the first owner. The asking price is $8500 and includes an air compressor and exhaust blower.

I’m new to the market, so I am not very accustomed to gauging prices on used machines. Thus, my main question: is this a fair price and do I have room to negotiate?

Doug Fisher
07-06-2017, 10:08 AM
If I was looking at this machine, I would get the serial number and call Epilog to ask them to confirm the production time based on the serial number. I would want to know more about this machine and why it had a tube recharge in less than four years (if it really is just four years old). At four years old, if the current owner has had it for two years and the tube was recharged by the original owner who thus owned it for two years or less, then that repair should have been done under warranty and Epilog should have a record of that.

I would not be surprised if you found out the age of the machine is different. If the unit turns out to be much older than claimed, you could try to use that and the fact the history would now be a bit unknown to bargain down on the price. Epilogs retain their value pretty well though.

Scott Shepherd
07-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Seems high to me, for a mini that's 30W. Like $2,000 too high.

Gary Hair
07-06-2017, 11:11 AM
That is way too high for a 4 year old machine, especially one that has had the tube replaced within the first two years. I would probably keep looking.

Tim Bateson
07-06-2017, 11:12 AM
I would say just right or a little low in price. You have to remember these mini's are made like tanks & will run day in & day out. I do have to admit these later machines were not as good as the early ones. Still a great machine. As suggested, contact Epilog about it's record.

Mike Null
07-06-2017, 12:49 PM
I also think the price is as much as $2000 too high.

Tim Bateson
07-06-2017, 1:47 PM
I stand by my statement, with some reservations - I am very curious as to why such a new machine needed a recharge. If that's true - don't buy it. If it was a replacement, you should be good. My Mini is 11+ years old and still running on it's original tube. Like I said the early Mini's might be superior to the later models.

Scott Shepherd
07-06-2017, 2:08 PM
I make my statement based on the price of a new Zing or Rayjet. I'd be hard pressed to pay $8,500 for a 30W laser that's 4 years old, with no warranty, when I can get about that same power of machine, new, with a warranty, in that same ballpark price range. If it were a 50w or 60w, I'd say it might be priced right, but for me, that's too much for a 30W.

Jeanette Brewer
07-06-2017, 7:21 PM
Torie,

After you get the serial number to confirm the age of the laser and after you've had a chance to "kick the tires" on it (don't buy it without seeing it since you're buying from an individual vs. a distributor), I'd say grab it.

$8500 is a good price for that unit.

Joe Pelonio
07-06-2017, 10:05 PM
My legend is basically the same and is running now on the 11th year. It's on the 3rd tube, the first was replaced after 10 months on warranty, the second a year later. The 3rd lasted until last February. Mine is 45 watts but the tube was $2,300.
As I recall the 12x18 mini new is about $12,000, 4 years old I would expect it to lose 50%, but if really nice and low hours that price may be Ok. I would, however, try to talk them down to 6k.

Glen Monaghan
07-06-2017, 10:17 PM
My take is that it's not an outrageously high price, but is more a good price for the seller and at best a fair price for a buyer. Definitely room to negotiate! I've purchased two of them (one much older and in quite well-used shape and the other also about 4 years old and in very good shape) and the combined price was within a couple hundred dollars of that one's asking price. All depends on how bad you want it, how bad the seller wants to get rid of it, and how much time you each have. Regardless of price, make as certain as you can that 30W and the bed size are enough for your longer term needs because it isn't economical to upgrade wattage and the only recourse if you need more power or bigger bed size is to buy yet another machine, which puts you on the shorter end of the stick again.

Torie Robinson
07-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Wow, thank you to everyone for such a great response. This has all been some awesome feedback.

I prefer this machine for of its bed size (24x12), its local, and because it is an Epilog. I wasn't too surprised by its laser tube issue, because from what I've gathered, that is an exceedingly common and expected repair, but please correct me otherwise. I've had hesitations about the wattage (30w), but my main usage of the machine will be for cutting and engraving 1/8th - 1/4th inch wood and acrylic, which I don't feel is asking too much and my designs are fairly simple. Once again, correct me if am mistaken. I had inquired about the serial number, but the seller didn't want to give it up - though is totally willing to call Epilog in person together for the history. There is a also a local Epilog distributor who I am interested in reaching out to about the Zing.

Thanks again and please let me know if there are any other major questions I should be asking.

Torie Robinson
07-06-2017, 11:58 PM
Any idea what the issue is with laser tubes? How can one last 10 months, while another 10 years? These things have been a major concern of mine in regards to even entering the craft.

John Lifer
07-07-2017, 8:07 AM
Quarter inch with 30 watts? Good knot free solid wood, Very good quality plywood. Cheaper ply with voids and lots of extra glue does not cut well at all.
I have to kick up to 55% of my power, 80w, to completely cut thru for sure 5mm ply. Don't do much acrylic, but again, quarter inch may be pushing it. Or you will just be crawling. Others with 30w mini will confirm or over turn me...... :rolleyes:

Jerome Stanek
07-07-2017, 8:14 AM
Why is he hesitant to dive you the serial number.

Tim Bateson
07-07-2017, 8:30 AM
I agree 1/4" is pushing it for a 30 watt. Possible, yes, but you may not like the result. Have the seller (try to) cut some for you. Also very suspicious about the Serial #. Proceed with caution.

Gary Hair
07-07-2017, 9:37 AM
Unless he has something to hide, I can't imagine why anyone would be reluctant to give you the serial number. That is a bit of a red flag, it would just make me a bit more cautious but not be a deal killer on its own. The real deal killer, however, would be your desire to cut 1/4" acrylic and/or wood with a 30 watt machine. I had a 30 watt machine and cut plenty of 1/8" acrylic and wood, and it was a bit slow but not horrible. I cut 1/4" very rarely and I can tell you it was painfully slow and definitely not a way to make money. My 80 watt Trotec does an awesome job at 1/4", it's faster than my 30 watt was with 1/8". You may not need 80 watts, but 30 isn't going to cut it - no pun intended...

Matt McCoy
07-07-2017, 9:46 AM
...cutting and engraving 1/8th - 1/4th inch wood and acrylic, which I don't feel is asking too much and my designs are fairly simple...

In your budget range and intended application, you might consider going with a local distributor of Chinese lasers or look into importing one yourself, if you're pretty self-insufficient. You will likely need more than a 30 W machine and may not benefit from the potentially faster engraving speed of the Epilog.

Also, a little nervous about that price and unwillingness to pass along a serial number of a machine out of warranty.

Mike Null
07-07-2017, 10:59 AM
I agree with Gary's remarks. Cutting 1/4" wood with a 30 watt unit is doable but very slow. I used to make 2 or more passes to minimize charring.

Torie Robinson
07-07-2017, 2:30 PM
Great stuff, really glad I brought up wattage. To be clear, I will almost exclusively use 1/8th ply and occassionally acrylic. 1/4th is just more of a consideration or perk that would be nice. Though I'm sure the more I work with a machine the more I'll want to be able to do. I will be sure to push the serial # issue much harder as well. Thanks all!

John Noell
07-07-2017, 4:51 PM
Any idea what the issue is with laser tubes? How can one last 10 months, while another 10 years? These things have been a major concern of mine in regards to even entering the craft.

In my limited experience, tubes can last years, or months. Why? I can only guess quality control and random factors. My first Epilog tube lasted just past warranty. The next one (from Epilog) lasted a very short time (couple of months) and was replaced under warranty. Next one was not much better (also replaced under warranty). The last one lasted several years. [Since in Fiji we pay full duty and VAT on the VALUE of imported goods PLUS the shipping cost, whether or not they are free-of-charge warranty replacements, the bad tubes cost me more than a thousand dollars.]