PDA

View Full Version : 1200 PPM Carbon Monoxide Bad ???

Clarence Martin
07-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Is that level bad out of a new gas stove

Ole Anderson
07-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Yes. Levels measured out in the room or just the products of combustion? In the room? Turn off the gas and evacuate immediately. Call your gas company before using.

Clarence Martin
07-05-2017, 10:38 PM
Man from the Gas Company came out with his testing equipment. The 1200 PPM was measured right in front of the NEW Stove. Here is another thing. For the past 2 weeks, the stove would make a loud bang sound about 10 or 15 seconds after it heated up to the temperature it was Set at. Set it at 350, stove heats up to 350, and the gas shuts off like it should; but then the loud bang sound is heard about 10 or 15 seconds later . Can't figure that one out.

Bruce Page
07-05-2017, 10:50 PM
Clarence, you should talk with the dealer that sold it and stove manufacture. The issues you're describing are not normal. I would shut the gas off to the stove until the problems are resolved.

Clarence Martin
07-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Gas Company shut off the gas to the stove.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-05-2017, 11:57 PM
:eek: I believe that was a wise move to shut off the gas. The words "gas stove" and "loud bang" kind of don't belong together- at least not in any positive way.

We just converted from a vintage electric stove (it had an analog clock!) to propane. Not only do we love the way it cooks, but we are also anxiously awaiting our next electric bill.

Ole Anderson
07-06-2017, 10:38 AM
After having an electric stove for 40 years we went to a hybrid stove when I remodeled the kitchen. Gas top electric oven. I was never comfortable with igniting gas inside a closed oven.

Michael Weber
07-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Stove off as other state. I worked many years as a gas combustion technician designing gas fired central heating units. The absolute maximum CO allowed under ANY circumstance was 400 ppm. That would be in a badly overfired state, blocked flue, downdraft any other conditions. Typical CO under normal conditions was 20 to 40 ppm. 400ppm is the maximum CO concentration a human can exist with and survive. 1200 ppm would be almost immediately fatal.

Clarence Martin
07-12-2017, 6:18 PM
Gets interesting .....

Had stove repaired today. New gas valve installed. They said everything was fine. Gas Company came out to inspect CO readings. Turned Oven on to 350 . Gas man tested stuff coming off the top of the stove with just the oven running, immediately on start up, it registered 2100 PPM.. After it reached 350 , the oven shut down as it should. Measured again. This time it settled down to between 200 to 300 PPM.

Now I read somewhere 35 PPM was the allowable limit and somewhere else it said 800 PPM was the allowable limit. Anyone know which is correct ? Thinking of switching to electric , if this can't be corrected.

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-12-2017, 7:09 PM
I think that even 200ppm is a very dangerous level in house.

Level of CO
Health Effects, and Other Information

0 PPM
Normal, fresh air.

9 PPM
Maximum recommended indoor CO level (ASHRAE).

10-24 PPM
Possible health effects with long-term exposure.

25 PPM
Max TWA Exposure for 8 hour work-day (ACGIH). Pocket CO TWA warning sounds each hour.

Eric Keller
07-13-2017, 1:02 AM
I wonder if there is a units translation issue here. Seems weird.

Michael Weber
07-13-2017, 9:54 AM
The incomplete combustion that produces CO also produce aldehydes which are also toxic. They have a sharp penetrating smell and can produce a burning sensation in the eyes and nose. If there is any such odor something is very wrong.

Edited to clarify my earlier post about maximum CO levels in furnaces, the quoted amounts were in the vent stack not in the breathable air. Nothing was to escape to the air in normal operation and even in the event of a totally blocked flue where products of combustion did escape acceptable CO levels had to be maintained. That's the reason the old natural convection furnaces were a maximim of 75% efficiency.

Thomas L Carpenter
07-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Would you care to tell us what kind of stove and where you purchased it?