PDA

View Full Version : Pecan bowl

Dennis Ford
07-05-2017, 9:12 PM
This is a twice turned bowl with a little dye enhancement, 15 inches diameter. Quite a few worm holes that I filled with Malachite. Comments & critiques welcome.

Robert Hayward
07-05-2017, 9:48 PM
Really nice job Dennis. I have to ask, where did you find a piece of pecan that big ?

Jay Mullins
07-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Pecan trees grows pretty big, I got a pecan tree last Dec. that was about 4ft in diameter in NC.

Lamar Wright
07-06-2017, 8:53 AM
Another beautiful bowl Dennis, very nice indeed. I am starting to use crushed stone for filling in cracks. I think it adds a nice touch.

Robert Marshall
07-06-2017, 7:12 PM
The band around the middle, near the top: is that part of the mass of wood turned into a bowl, or is something else, applied to the exterior of the bowl? Looks quite distinct from the bowl, but maybe that's the trick with dying it. Please clarify; I like this design and would like to know how.

John K Jordan
07-06-2017, 7:21 PM
The band around the middle, near the top: is that part of the mass of wood turned into a bowl, or is something else, applied to the exterior of the bowl? Looks quite distinct from the bowl, but maybe that's the trick with dying it. Please clarify; I like this design and would like to know how.

I like the band. It also should make a large, heavy bowl easier to pick up.

Dennis, one small suggestion on the photography. An additional light at the front would make the detail in the band easier to see. It looks a little dark in that photo. It might show off the beautiful figure in the wood as well.

JKJ