PDA

View Full Version : Counter heights

Stephen Tashiro
07-05-2017, 6:05 PM
As mentioned in another thread:

Bathrooms are important, but consider how if the woman isn't happy with the kitchen, there isn't likely to be a sale.

Counter heights and cabinet heights in kitchens, and the heights of vanities in bathrooms, can be very inconvenient for some people. I'm surprised that (to my knowledge) there is no commonly sold system of counters that allows the height to be easily adjustable. Do such adjustable kitchen counter exist - and I've just never noticed them in the box box stores? Or is it actually a simple refit to change the height of already installed kitchen counters ?

Jim Koepke
07-05-2017, 7:20 PM
As mentioned in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke:

Bathrooms are important, but consider how if the woman isn't happy with the kitchen, there isn't likely to be a sale.

Counter heights and cabinet heights in kitchens, and the heights of vanities in bathrooms, can be very inconvenient for some people. I'm surprised that (to my knowledge) there is no commonly sold system of counters that allows the height to be easily adjustable. Do such adjustable kitchen counter exist - and I've just never noticed them in the box box stores? Or is it actually a simple refit to change the height of already installed kitchen counters ?

In some places kitchen counters may be in the building codes, though I'm not sure.

I do remember my dad once complaining about someone he hired to install cabinets and counters setting them a half inch too low. This prevented the installation of an under counter dishwasher.

I also know the counters in our house were just a touch low for our dishwasher to be installed. The installer wanted out. I went to the shop and got some shims to prop up the counter.

As far as adjustable counters go, consider all of the things needing to move if one were to raise or lower their counter. The system would have to cover the front and back for as far as a counter extended. Not a practical system for the money involved. I think that is why the 'common standard' is ~36".

Maybe take a page from the Neanderthal Haven folks and make a counter on counter. That would only work if someone wanted it a bit taller... never mind.

jtk

Stephen Tashiro
07-05-2017, 8:17 PM
As far as adjustable counters go, consider all of the things needing to move if one were to raise or lower their counter. The system would have to cover the front and back for as far as a counter extended. Not a practical system for the money involved.

Perhaps, by thinking in terms of "kitchen counters", I'm wearing blinders. A large piece of furniture could serve the same function as a kitchen counter - except perhaps around the sink.

Come to think of it, why do people want kitchen counters? The are immobile. It's a big remodelling job to change the layout. The cabinets get dirty and they are inconveniently low and deep. The space underneath the counter can't be cleaned up - for example if you spill soda on the floor and some runs under the cabinet, it stays there till the next rennovation.

A piece of furniture that served as a kitchen counter wouldn't have to be fine woodworking on all its sides. Perhaps somebody already has experimented with modifying kitchen counters to be free standing pieces of furniture - with adjustable legs. I'll have to check YouTube.

An idea from Tom Silva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3cJgTlYTM

Jim Koepke
07-05-2017, 8:38 PM
Perhaps somebody already has experimented with modifying kitchen counters to be free standing pieces of furniture - with adjustable legs.

Continuous kitchen counters were likely introduced in the early 19th century.

From Wikipedia:

The common fitted Western-style kitchen, developed in the early 20th century, is typically an arrangement of assembled unit cabinetry covered with a more-or-less continuous countertop work surface.

Before the 19th century meal preparation was done around the fire place and the hearth. If the folks were lucky they may have had a bench or table upon which to work.

Now days folks seem to want wrap around counters of beautiful stone whether it is natural or man made.

jtk

Stephen Tashiro
07-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Continuous kitchen counters were likely introduced in the early 19th century.

This interesting article comments on the standardization of height to 36 inches:
https://qz.com/509501/why-kitchens-arent-designed-for-real-women/

Roger Nair
07-06-2017, 7:00 AM
Three times during my custom builder career, I built custom counters for short women, two of the women were about 5 feet tall and the other was about 4'-8" In two cases the work center was a short island, built upon back to back short wall cabinets set on a frame to provide a kick space. The other involved a total custom build.

Bill Houghton
07-06-2017, 2:23 PM
I believe there are a limited number of adjustable-height counter systems available, developed for wheelchair users (presumably living with walkies who need a regular height counter when it's their turn to make dinner). The pictures I've seen imply that there's no or very limited below-counter storage, which makes sense if you need to get a wheelchair under the counter. And small-production-run stuff is usually spendy.