PDA

View Full Version : Missed opportunity- mahogany trees from a cemetery

Malcolm Schweizer
07-05-2017, 12:40 PM
I was out of town last week, and I missed the news that they were cutting down some mahogany trees in the cemetery. They were GIVING it away to woodworkers. Oh man, I would have loved to have had one of those. First of all, it's likely Cuban Mahogany, which a lot of our mahogany trees are. Second of all, and this may sound morbid but it's not intended so- it has lived off those that were buried there. For me that would be a very special piece of wood, and I have a very special project that I would like to do with it. I am president of the St. Thomas Historical Trust. (It's an unpaid job that I do for charity work.) We were recently given some slave artifacts- a branding iron, a foot chain, and some "slave bracelets" (which were actually a form of money, also called "manillas" that were used to buy slaves). I want to make a very special display case for them, and using mahogany that grew in a 200+ year old cemetery would be perfect for that project. I'm going to try to see if I can still get some of it. Of course it would need to dry out and also I think they cut the stuff up into fairly short lengths. My neighbor got some and it was just part of a branch. He is making an urn for a deceased relative.

Just thought I would share- I think it's cool that they are giving the wood to woodworkers. Recently here they proposed a legislation to sternly regulate the cutting of trees, even on your own property, and even if damaged. (You can do it, but would need permits to do so.) Wood is getting harder and harder to find. I have always admired the trees in cemeteries. They always seem much more healthy than other trees. I was never sure if it was just that the grounds are well kept and the trees also have breathing room to grow, or if it was that they had more "fertilizer." All respect for the deceased here- I am just speaking factually. Although I have asked to be buried at sea, my second option is just put me in the ground and plant a tree on top of me.

Bradley Gray
07-05-2017, 9:26 PM
I have a slab of mahogany, likely Cuban that I obtained in Jamaica about 20 years ago. It was cut building the coast road from MoBay to Negril. Cut with a chain saw.

I think it is enough for the sides, neck and back for an archtop guitar. Just gotta clear the shop schedule....

Frederick Skelly
07-05-2017, 10:30 PM
It would have been neat to use it for the display case as you describe, especially if slaves were buried nearby. I'd put a plaque on it explaining where the wood came from.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-05-2017, 11:51 PM
I realize that I need to clarify that these items are for a museum and the idea is to treat them with reverence and build a display case that gives them respect. This is for our museum that displays historic artifacts. Just in case that was not obvious in the original post.

Bradley- I have traveled that highway from MoBay to Negril many times. Yes, the mahogany from Jamaica is likely Cuban mahogany. That is where much of the mahogany was harvested for furniture in the sailing days. It is gorgeous stuff. Now, perhaps you could build one of the fertility statues that they make in Fern Valley out of that wood. If you are familiar with Jamaica, you got a laugh at that!

Bradley Gray
07-06-2017, 7:42 PM
Malcolm, most of the Jamaican carvings I have seen were made of what the locals call cedar -do you know another name for it? It has a texture similar to mahogany.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-06-2017, 10:54 PM
Malcolm, most of the Jamaican carvings I have seen were made of what the locals call cedar -do you know another name for it? It has a texture similar to mahogany.

It is likely West Indian Cedar, which is getting more and more scarce. They also use jacaranda, blue mahogany, and lignum vitae. They have a tree they call juniper that has a sweet smell and red wood. It may be another name for jacaranda, but I am not certain.

There are a lot of Caribbean trees that have different names throughout the island. We have a tree that we call a turpentine tree, and some call a "tourist tree" because it gets red and peels! I am told it is a type of red birch. It has a thick sap that smells like turpentine.

Bradley Gray
07-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Thanks Malcolm, the wood i have encountered does have a sweet smell so maybe juniper. I have seen some lignum or similar heavy wood also.

Do you know of a good tree book for the region?

Malcolm Schweizer
07-07-2017, 8:50 AM
I certainly do- and it is online- http://naturalhistorysocietyjamaica.org/Some%20Common%20Trees%20of%20Jamaica.pdf

I take issue with a couple of things they say- like sea grapes being used for cabinetry. Sea grape is a very wet and green wood. I have never seen anyone use sea grape for anything other than eating the hard, salty grapes that they produce. That said, it is an excellent reference as far as the trees and their appearance. There are some local names that may not match up with the actual name, but at the end there is a cross reference to what the trees are called in other islands.

The lignum vitae that grows in the islands is true Lignum Vitae, and it is so hard you really need to use metal working tools to work it. I have some pieces that are so hard I can't get my best-honed chisel to do a thing with it.

Edwin Santos
07-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Malcolm,
That's very interesting! The book makes reference to a West Indian Ebony. Ever come across any?

Malcolm Schweizer
07-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Malcolm,
That's very interesting! The book makes reference to a West Indian Ebony. Ever come across any?

I have come across a wood that I suspect to be this tree. It is VERY dark wood, and very hard as well. I can't say for sure that's the same tree, but I said to myself that it must be akin to ebony. I found it on a hiking trail and a branch was broken. There are a lot of trees that grow here that I would really like to cut open and toy around with. Lots of the wood is very dark red or dark brown. Also much of the local woods are very hard.

Bradley Gray
07-08-2017, 9:19 AM
Malcolm, Thanks for the book link - exactly what I wanted! I will load it on our travel computer before our next trip.

Edwin, In our area we have persimmon trees, which are in the same family as ebony. It has very similar working character to ebony, amber to cream color with black streaks and can be dyed black. Turns and carves like a tropical wood.Unlike ebony, the trees can be quite large. I have some 26" wide slabs stashed.