PDA

View Full Version : Supermax 19/38 Extension Tables Hinged?

Bernie Kopfer
07-04-2017, 5:01 PM
I recently obtained a nearly new Supermax 19/38 with extension tables off Craigslist. The tables are strong and work as they should but they do not fold down, making for a super large footprint. Has anyone devised a way of hinging these tables? Even if it is complicated to set up it would be worth it to me to reduce the size. Pictures really help! Thanks

Bruce Page
07-04-2017, 5:09 PM
Bernie, post some pictures of your setup and maybe someone will have an idea or suggestion. I have a Woodmaster with infeed/outfeed rollers. I normally leave them off because they take up so much space.

Bernie Kopfer
07-04-2017, 6:09 PM
Bernie, post some pictures of your setup and maybe someone will have an idea or suggestion. I have a Woodmaster with infeed/outfeed rollers. I normally leave them off because they take up so much space.

The set up of these tables is such that pictures would be of minimal benefit. I have some ideas to make this happen but don't feel the need to "reinvent the wheel" if someone else has done it well already.

Ben Rivel
07-04-2017, 11:30 PM
I was actually thinking of starting a thread asking how difficult it is to put those extension wings on and off. The crazy large footprint would be an issue for me as well but I would still like to be able to use the extension wings. I figured they didnt fold but had never read anyone comment on taking them on and off when needed. I was hoping I could just remove them and hang them on the sides of a custom built mobile stand.

John Cole
07-04-2017, 11:45 PM
I have an older performax 16/32 with the indeed and outdated tables. I found that they take up a lot of room and they don't add anything to the functionality. I took them off.

John Cole
07-04-2017, 11:47 PM
I have an older performax 16/32 with the infeed and outfeed tables. I found that they take up a lot of room and they don't add anything to the functionality. I took them off. fixed damed autocorrect.

Bernie Kopfer
07-05-2017, 11:31 AM
The tables are not hard to get on and off, just time consuming. And they are not needed all the time ,but they do help with longer boards. So I will try to figure out some sort of hinge system and when I get something functional I will post it. In the meantime as I said I'm happy to use someone else's shared ideas.

Cary Falk
07-05-2017, 3:26 PM
I have the 25/50. I am pretty sure they are the same tables. I finally put mine on about a month ago. It was such a pain that I have not taken them off yet I will be watching this thread closely

Bernie Kopfer
07-05-2017, 4:48 PM
I hope Supermax is watching!

Bruce Page
07-05-2017, 7:14 PM
My old Delta 18/36 DS had optional fold down tables.

Hank Mayberry
11-11-2017, 5:13 PM
The new Supermax 16-32 has hinged extension tables you just push in 2 spring loaded buttons under each table and they drop down. I bought the Jet 16-32 instead (I got a better deal $901.00 Brand New w/ 5 yr Jet warranty and in/out feed tables included) but I sure would like to be able to put those SuperMax tables on it. If anyone does make that work please let us know!

Jim Becker
11-11-2017, 7:57 PM
While you consider how to many them "hinged", consider having them go up, rather than down, so you can have a positive, level stopping point when they are folded out.

Hank Mayberry
11-12-2017, 7:37 AM
Excellent point, my old Delta 13 inch planer has extensions and they work like that. Amazing that for long as they have been making drum sanders nobody offered it until Supermax finally did it.

John Sanford
11-13-2017, 7:50 PM
While you consider how to many them "hinged", consider having them go up, rather than down, so you can have a positive, level stopping point when they are folded out.

While that's a a good consideration, the flip side is that if they fold up, you have to fold them down to use the sander. Which can be a bother when you're only doing some short stuff that doesn't need the extra length.

The folding wing thing is near and dear to my experience because my CMS (recently replaced with an SCMS) is on a planer cart with folding wings. Because of the space involved, I don't bring the wings up if I don't need to.

Josh Molaver
11-20-2017, 8:39 PM
I found Supermax is now making these extension tables hinged: https://www.supermaxtools.com/wp-content/uploads/71938-7F-sheet-inst.-ENG.pdf is the instruction page. Various sellers have these for $129 (seems like an awful lot!). Wonder if they will fit my ~2 year old unit...

Cary Falk
11-21-2017, 1:49 AM
I found Supermax is now making these extension tables hinged: https://www.supermaxtools.com/wp-content/uploads/71938-7F-sheet-inst.-ENG.pdf is the instruction page. Various sellers have these for $129 (seems like an awful lot!). Wonder if they will fit my ~2 year old unit...

Hmmmm. I will have to give them a call and see if they have a conversion kit since I already have the tables.

edit to add: I just read it again and it says open stands so it won't work on the 25/50

Kim Gibbens
11-23-2017, 12:07 AM
I just put the folding tables on my new supermax 19-38 this evening. They just bolt into the two holes on the front and back of the lower frame. There weren't any instructions on how to assemble and level to the table, just a picture of the parts and a parts list. I am very slow working and I probably spent an hour and a half from start to finish. I like them so far. I have very limited space in my shop so every little bit helps when reducing the foot print of a machine. Small shop also means wheels on everything and I bought the casters that Supermax sells and they are nice and makes moving the sander around so easy. I can tell I am going to get a lot of use out of this machine.