PDA

View Full Version : Chinese 30W Fiber Not Working Right

Terrie Bryan
07-03-2017, 11:20 PM
We got our 30 watt Chinese fiber laser from an American dealer well known on here back in February. We spent a couple of months learning it (this was our first machine with nothing to compare to). It seemed like it was working correctly as far as we knew although we were only able to mark stainless steel and anodized aluminum. When we tried to mark copper or anything with copper in it we would not get any clear results (it looked blank) which we thought was normal based on research done in this forum on the subject.

Recently another family member purchased the same machine 20 watt from ebay. We were surprised to discover that it works MUCH better than the 30 watt (at less than half the price) with clear black engraving on stainless, copper, brass, bronze, nickel silver, and aluminum. It seems like the other machine with lower wattage has way more power than our 30 watt machine. We have researched this forum high and low but can't find anyone with similar issues. We have tried adjusting various settings inside of EZcad to no avail. Things we have checked: Correct focus, comparing settings between the two machines, and we have called the dealer for help but have not gotten much of any help.

Has anyone in here had anything like this happen or do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks!

John Lifer
07-04-2017, 8:59 AM
Well I can't compare 30 to 20 watts as I only have a 20watt machine, but there ARE different sources for the fiber. Are YOU sure they are the same source, JPT or Raycus (from what I've heard Raycus is more a generic like cola and might be different manufacturers) and is it a std fiber, MOPA type 1 or MOPA type 2?

It can just be your settings. Don't hit everything with 100% power. Did you check ALL the settings, i.e. Machine initial parameter settings which includes type?
I don't get black on aluminum, at least I haven't found a good setting yet. I can wobble and get a different look, but not black. SS, no issue, brass, depends on the material. Failed on some, succeeded on others.

And obviously the 20 watt is going to be a bit cheaper than a 30, US vs Direct is considerably cheaper, ebay which is a risk in my opinion, is just a few $ less.

Bill George
07-04-2017, 10:33 AM
We got our 30 watt Chinese fiber laser from an American dealer well known on here back in February. We spent a couple of months learning it (this was our first machine with nothing to compare to). It seemed like it was working correctly as far as we knew although we were only able to mark stainless steel and anodized aluminum. When we tried to mark copper or anything with copper in it we would not get any clear results (it looked blank) which we thought was normal based on research done in this forum on the subject.

Recently another family member purchased the same machine 20 watt from ebay. We were surprised to discover that it works MUCH better than the 30 watt (at less than half the price) with clear black engraving on stainless, copper, brass, bronze, nickel silver, and aluminum. It seems like the other machine with lower wattage has way more power than our 30 watt machine. We have researched this forum high and low but can't find anyone with similar issues. We have tried adjusting various settings inside of EZcad to no avail. Things we have checked: Correct focus, comparing settings between the two machines, and we have called the dealer for help but have not gotten much of any help.

Has anyone in here had anything like this happen or do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks!

I can not imagine there would be any difference between the two. It takes time to learn the settings and its not easy to find the sweet spot. I have a log book and I spent the first few weeks experimenting and writing down the power, speed and frequency needed to do various materials. No Issues.

Neville Stewart
07-04-2017, 10:43 AM
I'd say your 30 w should be more aggressive than a 20 as the 20 was a lot cheaper the source is definitely not a mopa or a upper end brand. You can get a whole laser set up for the cost of some of the sources available. Fortunately you got the 30 from a us supplier so I'd be getting with them to resolve the issue for you.

Kev Williams
07-04-2017, 3:09 PM
In many cases--- M-A-N-Y --- less is more. Sometimes power is counter-productive...

Take this piece of delrin I test engraved with my fiber, I did several tests around it, this was the first test:
I already mentioned this in another thread, but my power setting on this test was ZERO.
(fibers always put out SOME beam even at zero) - the highest power I got good results with was 10%. I would like to have tried LESS than zero! ;) --And it liked lower frequencies rather than higher, I figured the opposite would be true...

Same goes with C02 lasers, like engraving anodized.. black anodizing between plating shops differs as much as Fords and Peterbilts. Hit some with full power and it turns blue. Hit the same piece with 20% power and it goes almost white. Yet the exact opposite is true from my usual plating shop. I have a customer who brings me parts I HATE to hit with the laser, because if the power is just a snick too high, the laser blows right thru the anodize down to the metal. But not consistently, can't make it look good once that happens. These parts I start at 20% and work up until it's white enough to suit me, usually 45-50% is the max I can run these parts...

Copper is very very fickle. I had a guy send me four copper cups to test. The results on the same cup in different places ranged from nary a mark to a dark brown burn to a nice bright etch to almost black, and everything in between. Changing any of the settings even a tiny bit sometimes made big changes. In short, copper is NOT fiber friendly. And since all machines are different, it's not the least bit unusual that one machine would do something like copper better than the machine next to it, regardless of power.

Terrie Bryan
07-04-2017, 8:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, we will keep testing settings and also working with the dealer. They have told us they will figure it out so hopefully they will, as it's just hard to believe the much cheaper eBay fiber (and less watts) is working so much better. The machines really appear identical inside and outside, it's really puzzling.

Kev Williams
07-04-2017, 11:32 PM
do both machines have the same focal length lenses? If not, that could be the issue.

Have you tried different focus distances?