PDA

View Full Version : Help with mitered coners..

Tom Conger
10-25-2005, 10:01 AM
A friend asked me to build him a bench/storage unit. Fairly simple design, I am just copying it from a catalog he gave me.

The base is 48 x 20 x 4 and I want it to have mitered corners. Problem is I am not terribly sure how to connect them. I am sure if I were following plans, it would use biscuits, but being as though I don't have a biscuit jointer or plans, how would you all suggest I connect it?

Larry Crim
10-25-2005, 10:17 AM
depending on the type of wood I would just use glue, if you are using ply then I use biscuits or dowels.
Larry

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
For a storage unit, I would want to reinforce the corners. Glue alone will probably not be enough to hold it. You could spline the corners, using a peice of stable straight grained wood.

Also, you could block the insides of the corners.

Tom Conger
10-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Using MDF and the plan is to paint it white.

It will need to be re-inforced as it is to be used as toy storage and reading area for a 5 year old.

Lee DeRaud
10-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Using MDF and the plan is to paint it white.In that case, I'm not sure there's any point in mitering the corners: a butt joint or rabbet will work fine with a lot less hassle.

Keith Hooks
10-25-2005, 11:28 AM
If you plan to paint it anyway, I would use butt joints with biscuits and block the inside corners.