PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a 20" or larger bandsaw I could use in the Tampa / St. Pete Florida area

Alan Lightstone
07-03-2017, 7:27 PM
I am making a large jewelry box for SWMBO. The design involves convex curved sides. To accomplish this, I purchased a neat jig which actually works quite well making those curves: http://www.convexcurve.com/band-saw-tool.html (And, no, I don't have any association with that company other than buying their product.)

The problem is, the box I am building is about 18" long (which, when stood on its end translates to 18" of resaw capacity needed, plus about 1-1/2" extra for the jig - hence a 20" or greater resaw capacity bandsaw). I didn't think of this at the time, and my 14" Laguna SUV clearly won't fit the box.

So, long story short, I need to make 4 quick curves cuts on a bandsaw that's at least a 20" one (if not even a larger one).

Does anyone in the Tampa Bay / St. Petersburg / Clearwater Florida area have one that they wouldn't mind me coming over to make those cuts with the jig? If so, please send me contact info via private message. Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to make a nice present for my significant other for her birthday.

Frederick Skelly
07-03-2017, 7:32 PM
Alan, I can't help with a big bandsaw, but I sure hope you'll post a review on that jig after you use it a few times!
Fred

Nick Dimov
07-03-2017, 7:54 PM
I have a mm20 but I am in Wpb. Lmk if you don't find anyone closer.

Matt Day
07-03-2017, 10:56 PM
Allan, just to clarify, you need 20" of resaw not a 20" throat capacity right? Because I have a 20" saw (clearance from blade to spine) with about 12" of resaw.

Paul K. Johnson
07-04-2017, 1:07 AM
Can't you just duct tape two 14" bandsaws together?

Alan Lightstone
07-06-2017, 5:33 AM
Allan, just to clarify, you need 20" of resaw not a 20" throat capacity right? Because I have a 20" saw (clearance from blade to spine) with about 12" of resaw.
Yes, 20" of resaw capacity.

Chris Fournier
07-06-2017, 7:31 AM
And what width of blade do you think will be used on a 20" re-saw? Not something for cutting curves...

Alan Lightstone
07-06-2017, 8:04 AM
They aren't tight curves (it was either 8" or 10" radius, I don't recall which I set the jig for).

I've done it quite easily with a 1/2" blade on my 14" saw.

Alan Lightstone
07-08-2017, 5:27 PM
One shameless bump, as I'd love to make this design for my wife, but can't do it without a big bandsaw.

Anyone out there who has one near Tampa Bay?

Nick Dimov
07-08-2017, 8:12 PM
One shameless bump, as I'd love to make this design for my wife, but can't do it without a big bandsaw.

Anyone out there who has one near Tampa Bay?

WPB isn't that far.....

Alan Lightstone
07-08-2017, 11:22 PM
Te shame of it is, I'll be there this weekend for a wedding, but am flying and won't have the time/ability to take the jig and make the box in time.

I'll PM you with some contact info if I can't find someone closer, and I truly appreciate the offer, Nick.

Brian Holcombe
07-09-2017, 9:04 AM
I believe it is very hard to stand a board on end and resaw it. The saw dust becomes long fibers and does not cut well. I tried this briefly on a chair seat becuase it was shorter, then returned to a normal orientation for the board.

Alan Lightstone
07-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Actually, I tried it on a few test boxes at a smaller size that my band saw can handle, and while clearly there will be sanding involved, the basic shape looks good, and I think it should work out okay. The inventor of the jig, for whatever that is worth, doesn't see that as an issue and has some nice samples on his website. But no question, sanding and smoothing will be involved.

AL PATEL
07-12-2017, 3:41 PM
Hey Alan. I have a y36 bandsaw with 19 3/8" resale capacity. I think if I flip the thrust bearing over I could get 21". Located in Lakeland

Bruce Page
07-12-2017, 3:50 PM
Nice first post Al.
Welcome!

Peter Christensen
07-12-2017, 4:00 PM
You could set up a router to do it. Fix the router horizontally and arc the box past the bit. Raise the router and arc again. When the side is done repeat with the other 3 sides. Or make a jig on the same principal, but double ended, mounted to the fence of a table saw arcing over a dado blade or a router table. Think of a playground swing.

AL PATEL
07-12-2017, 6:17 PM
Hey Alan. I have a y36 bandsaw with 19 3/8" resale capacity. I think if I flip the thrust bearing over I could get 21". Located in Lakeland

Alan Lightstone
07-12-2017, 7:39 PM
Al:

Awesome!! I'll send you a private message. I can scale down the box size a little bit to accommodate that resaw capacity. Which bandsaw is it?

Peter:
Interesting. I'll have to get my head around that one.