PDA

View Full Version : I've got shop gremlins.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-02-2017, 2:04 PM
It started a few weeks ago. I was working on a project and seated on the floor using my marking gauge, marking knife, and chisels. I reach for the marking knife and it is not there. "Okay," I thought, "it has to be within arm's reach because I have not moved from here." I looked and looked- nothing. I finally found it across the shop where it could not have just rolled because there were many obstacles in the way. It could only be one thing- Gremlins!

Next, I was looking for one of my 200 or so tape measures, and it was nowhere to be found. Later, I was taking out the trash and there it was, on top of the trash- which was nowhere near my workshop. Gremlins!

The final confirmation was today- I had a box of 5/16" lock nuts on the workbench. This time I even had photographic evidence because I had taken a picture for another post and they were seen in said photo. I went to Home Depot, came back, and they were nowhere to be found. I looked all over, even under that mounting pile of stuff on my bench. Not there. Later, I came back, moved one thing over, and there they were- under it. I had looked there earlier- I swear I had. Gremlins!

Does se anyone know how to get rid of them? Is there a spray or some sort of trap I can use?

Frederick Skelly
07-02-2017, 2:15 PM
Man, I hope they don't steal your new large plow plane! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2017, 2:40 PM
It's been my observation, they are prolific and increasing in population in my area.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-02-2017, 3:34 PM
Man, I hope they don't steal your new large plow plane! :D

Don't even...

Bill Jobe
07-02-2017, 3:35 PM
I've a bumper crop this year.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-02-2017, 3:35 PM
It's been my observation, they are prolific and increasing in population in my area.

Somewhere out there is a nest, and it contains a whole lot of tools, nuts, and bolts, plus 1,000,000 tape measures.

Larry Edgerton
07-02-2017, 3:41 PM
I was down ther on vacation and came by to say hello, but it seemed like more fun just to move stuff around on you. Nice shop by the way! ;)

Malcolm Schweizer
07-02-2017, 3:53 PM
I was down ther on vacation and came by to say hello, but it seemed like more fun just to move stuff around on you. Nice shop by the way! ;)

So... exactly what part of "Northern Michigan" are you in? Asking for a friend. (Checks flights to Michigan)

Barry McFadden
07-02-2017, 5:50 PM
I find ....that in my shop.... the Gremlins increase proportionally to my age increase!!!

glenn bradley
07-02-2017, 8:27 PM
Does se anyone know how to get rid of them? Is there a spray or some sort of trap I can use?

Hide the booze until after 5pm. :D:D:D

Malcolm Schweizer
07-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Hide the booze until after 5pm. :D:D:D

Does that mean I can't have any either?

Wade Lippman
07-03-2017, 10:16 AM
I built a raised bed garden with torx 3" torx screws.
One day two of them were backed out 2".
Couldn't possibly happen naturally. What vandal would not only have a torx screwdriver, but do something so time consuming and totally pointless?

My wife complains the shower isn't working right; the water is coming out in a solid stream rather than diffused.
I check, she is right. Check further, the diffusing disk is missing. I was going to make a replacement, but the tolerances are too tight; wouldn't be worth the time required.
I bought a new shower head, but couldn't get the old one off; so I thought maybe the diffusing disks might match?
Well, the old showerhead had healed and the disk was back. It worked normally again.
It is impossible for the disk to move; it might have been undersized and fallen out, but not temporarily!

I think our house is an old Indian burial site or something.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-03-2017, 10:39 AM
I built a raised bed garden with torx 3" torx screws.
One day two of them were backed out 2".
Couldn't possibly happen naturally. What vandal would not only have a torx screwdriver, but do something so time consuming and totally pointless?

My wife complains the shower isn't working right; the water is coming out in a solid stream rather than diffused.
I check, she is right. Check further, the diffusing disk is missing. I was going to make a replacement, but the tolerances are too tight; wouldn't be worth the time required.
I bought a new shower head, but couldn't get the old one off; so I thought maybe the diffusing disks might match?
Well, the old showerhead had healed and the disk was back. It worked normally again.
It is impossible for the disk to move; it might have been undersized and fallen out, but not temporarily!

I think our house is an old Indian burial site or something.

That is creepy. Classic case of gremlins. Play Justin Bieber music really loud for days on end. I hear it drives them away. Also try playing this over and over. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

Frederick Skelly
07-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Also try playing this over and over. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

Dear God - that is AWFUL! It is so bad that they even made a follow up video called "hitler calls the trololo guy". (Which by the way is pretty darn funny!)

So the next time the neighbor's dog barks for a solid hour, he's getting an amplified version of that horrendous tune. Serious payback.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Dear God - that is AWFUL! It is so bad that they even made a follow up video called "hitler calls the trololo guy".

YUCK! That should definitely scare away gremlins.

Next time the neighbor's dog barks for a solid hour, he's getting an amplified vesrion of that horrendous tune.

There is a 50-hour version of it on YouTube but it takes a while to load. You're welcome. Give my regards to the neighbors.

Bill McNiel
07-03-2017, 11:57 AM
There is a 50-hour version of it on YouTube but it takes a while to load. You're welcome. Give my regards to the neighbors.

Malcolm - that video has ruined my day and possibly many more. In retaliation, I will be sending in more Gremlins.

Mel Fulks
07-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Had to look up that warbling. The original lyrics were described as "naughty".

Malcolm Schweizer
07-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Malcolm - that video has ruined my day and possibly many more. In retaliation, I will be sending in more Gremlins.-

Maybe not gremlins- maybe it's Trolls- Trololololololllloooooo