PDA

View Full Version : New deck floor

Ed Aumiller
07-01-2017, 10:47 PM
I built my deck over 35 years ago... the pressure treated lumber was guaranteed for 40 years... it only lasted 35 !!!
Am in process of replacing the decking... the joists are still fine... 90% of decking is still usable but am replacing all of it ... about 1800 square feet..
Original decking is 5/4" x 4" and never had a problem with it... just where there are knots it is weak and want to replace it so wife does not have problems in future...
Putting down same size boards that are KDAT (kiln dried after treatment)... since the new boards are NOT the same chemicals used to treat the original boards (no arsenic), do not know how long they will last... built a deck for my son 11 years ago with new PT and it is in bad shape.. most contractors in this area only expect 10-15 years before decking needs replaced with the new PT lumber..

Trying to determine ways in which to make the new decking last longer...

Thinking about putting the 2-part epoxy for garage floors on it.... can get most any color and that should keep the water from doing damage ?

Boats are ofter coated with epoxy, etc....

Any ideas to lengthen life of PT lumber appreciated...

Thanks in advance..

Adam Herman
07-01-2017, 11:10 PM
get synthetic. That's how you extend its life. Our deck is 238 sq feet and we got a quote for about 950 for the decking. just over 4 k for the materials to rebuild the entire thing, including hardware and railings.

Lee Schierer
07-02-2017, 9:31 AM
I think you got your money's worth out of the first deck. I've never seen a treated lumber deck last 35 years. If you want longer deck life go with Ipe or one of the composites. Any coating you apply will fail unless the wood is covered on all sides, edges and ends and the fastener holes are sealed. Moisture inside the wood and sunlight will cause the failure.

Matt Meiser
07-02-2017, 10:04 AM
I'll start by saying I hope I never own another deck. If I have my choice it will be concrete patios from here on out. No pavers or stone either. Stamped & stained concrete if we want a design. My next choice, far down the list, would be a composite deck.

Brian Elfert
07-02-2017, 2:09 PM
My parent's house has a large deck my father built in 1982 with 2x4 and 2x6 green treated decking. It is at the point where the decking needs replacement. My father is planning on composite decking with new railings too. The problem is the cost is $15,000 just for materials.

Matt Meiser
07-02-2017, 4:02 PM
That buys a lot of concrete around here. Of course it's flat here--kind of haft to pour concrete on a second story :).

Brian Elfert
07-02-2017, 8:08 PM
That buys a lot of concrete around here. Of course it's flat here--kind of haft to pour concrete on a second story :).

My parents have a walkout so the deck is about 10 feet off the ground. My parents are in their early 70s and are talking about selling the house. I keep telling my father to just use the cheapest composite decking since they plan to sell. 95% of buyers won't know the difference between cheap composite and the expensive stuff. Most buyers will be happy that it is new and is composite.

My parents live in a neighborhood of fairly high end homes. It would be hard to sell the house without fixing the deck.

Ed Aumiller
07-02-2017, 9:14 PM
Composite only has a 15-20 year warranty... there are problems with composite decking... it is weak (need 12" oc joists), fades, a lot of them in this area that are over 10 years old look bad and need repairs, etc... had to remove one made with the expensive brand on a rental a few years ago.. it is not that great... ok if you are selling the property....

If I was on flat ground, would definitely convert it to concrete... but we are on the side of a hill...

Nike Nihiser
07-04-2017, 8:26 AM
Some composite works with 16' oc joists and the quality is getting better.