PDA

View Full Version : Red Kabas Box

Michael Stafford
10-25-2005, 8:05 AM
Here is a Red Kabas box I made for Joe Tonich. Joe has been very kind in sending me wood to support my box efforts. Thank you Joe, it is much appreciated.

This was the first time I have turned this wood for a box. It is very hard and coarse grained as evidenced in the pictures but it finishes smoothly even if it doesn't look as if it does.

Another first for me was my attempt at chatterwork on the lid. No matter how I tried I could not get a decent picture of it not that it is that much to see.

This box is 2 1/2" in diameter and 3 1/2" tall, I think. I don't have it any more so Joe correct me if that is wrong.

Keith Burns
10-25-2005, 8:13 AM
Wow Mike, that is one impressive box ! I love the form and finish. What else can I say except I really like it.

Dick Parr
10-25-2005, 8:22 AM
The box man is back.:D Very nice Mike and in case Joe doesn't want it, I'll take if off your hands.:D :D ;)

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 8:40 AM
Mike,

That looks great! It is hard to tell where the box and the lid separate and the grain is very nice as well. I like it!

Mark Cothren
10-25-2005, 9:04 AM
Very nice, Big Mike! What a great little box!

Thanks for the picture!

Joe Tonich
10-25-2005, 3:38 PM
The box man is back.:D Very nice Mike and in case Joe doesn't want it, I'll take if off your hands.:D :D ;)

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right, Dick.....ya gotta try and get it away from Deb first.....GOOD LUCK on THAT!!!!!!!!

Big Mike..........

I'm always impressed whenever I see your turned boxes, BM, and this one is no exception. :D It's beautiful!!!

THANKS! again,

Joe

Glenn Hodges
10-25-2005, 5:52 PM
Never heard of it, never seen it, and I don't think I have ever turned any, but after seeing this beautiful box I sure would like to give it a try. Thanks for showing it to us.

Jim Ketron
10-25-2005, 6:28 PM
Nice Box Mr. Box master:D
The colors and grain pattern are awesome!
Joe You lucky dog.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-27-2005, 11:37 PM
BRAVO, BIG MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Encore!..............................Encore!

Robert Watsek
10-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Nice Box Mr. Box master:D
The colors and grain pattern are awesome!
Joe You lucky dog.

That pretty well sums it up Big Mike!!! :D

Bob

Chris Barton
10-28-2005, 4:46 PM
Hey Mike,

Great box! When you have time tell us what technique you use to make your boxes.

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 4:53 PM
Thank you, Chris. Telling you how is easy. I follow the steps proscribed by Richard Raffan in his book on turned boxes. It works every time. :D