PDA

View Full Version : Keep or sell Vintage Craftsman plow plane

allen long
07-01-2017, 4:34 PM
No idea what the model is. No blades came with it.

Has both nickers and both depth stops and all other pieces.

The blade clamping and adjuster looks pretty substantial and easy to use.

Wondering if it is worth keeping and what blades I would get for it. If I were to sell it here, what would a fair price be?

Thank everyone.

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

Greg Wease
07-01-2017, 5:28 PM
Made for Sears by Sargent. Their model # is 1080, I believe. The cutters have an extra notch relative to those for the Stanley 45 but they are available.

lowell holmes
07-01-2017, 7:47 PM
Why would you sell it? Are you missing irons for it?
If so, can other brands be adapted.

I don't use mine much, but it is going to be kept.

allen long
07-01-2017, 9:33 PM
Exactly right. There are no irons with it. I need to find a type that fits them.

lowell holmes
07-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Start here

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=spigot-nt-gc&ei=utf-8&type=839740&p=plow%20plane%20irons

I also suspect other irons can be made to fit.

Nathan Johnson
07-02-2017, 12:48 AM
I just picked one of these up a few weeks ago. Stamped in the metal underneath the wooden fence was "1080" so I was able to determine it was a Sargent. A little web search told me that Stanley blades would need to be modified by cutting the extra notch in to fit. Luckily, mine came with blades.

Jim Koepke
07-02-2017, 1:00 AM
I saw one with only one blade in an antique shop a few weeks ago for $35. It was tempting but there are already more Stanley #45s in my shop than I really need.

jtk

Patrick Chase
07-02-2017, 1:32 PM
Exactly right. There are no irons with it. I need to find a type that fits them.

Jumping in late here: I'd keep it. It isn't a collectible or anything like that, but from the pictures it looks like a very clean "user" tool. You might want to contact Patrick Leach (leach@supertool.com) and see if he has anything in the way of irons to go with it. He has a pretty extensive collection of random stuff like that that isn't advertised on his monthly fliers.

allen long
07-02-2017, 1:38 PM
I wonder if the LV plow aND beading irons would fit wth minor mods

Malcolm Schweizer
07-02-2017, 2:07 PM
I wonder if the LV plow aND beading irons would fit wth minor mods

I know Rob Lee said they would fit a Stanley 55. I can't remember if he said they would fit others.

Nicholas Lawrence
07-02-2017, 2:14 PM
The irons look like this.

Archie England
07-02-2017, 2:57 PM
As a user of both the Stanley 45 and the LV small plow plane, I would encourage you first to try to acquire blades for the Sargent version. In my experience, the narrower blades perform very well, while the wider ones are rather dependent upon wood and grain type. The LV is genuinely better engineered; but it's focused on narrower blade widths.

If you can't find blades for the Sargent 1080, then sell it and buy a lower priced 45 or a LV (or LN).

lowell holmes
07-02-2017, 8:50 PM
I have all of the blades for the LV plow plane. They go up to 1/2" unless new sizes have been introduced.
I'm not aware that they have.

allen long
07-03-2017, 12:57 AM
Honestly I am not all that interested in the wider irons. Mostly up to about 3/8. I am mostly interested in using it for beading and fluting. How does the plow compare to LN bronze beading plane. The one that looks more akin to a scratch stock? I know LV is introducing beading irons for their new massively brass knob bed plow plane.

Nicholas Lawrence
07-03-2017, 6:15 AM
I have not used a scratch stock or hand beader (I assume you are referring to the LN copy of the Stanley 66). The Sargent I have works well for beading. It is hard to get a perfect bead, but it does well, and if you run a piece of folded sandpaper down the sides of the bead to clean it up a little, you can get a good result. Here is a photo I posted a while ago for something else, but you can see a small area of beading I did. It is very important to have sharp cutters.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-03-2017, 1:51 PM
Understanding that owning something that can plow a groove has been on my lists things that I want for a while, if I had a decent plane like that I would first look to see if I could find usable blades, and, if not, dump it unless you have room in your shop for "cool stuff that you will never use".

If you can find some usable irons, or make some, then it turns into "cool stuff that you can use".

steven c newman
07-03-2017, 3:32 PM
I just went and checked over at that auction site....nhplaneparts has those cutters listed in his "Sargent" parts section.....$7-10 each, plough, bead, and match cutters. With the correct notch ,BTW

Might be worth a look.