PDA

View Full Version : Wood Glues

David Boardman
07-01-2017, 3:26 PM
I have always used Titebond glues. I know the run down with I, II, and III. I have never had an issue with any of them but I have been looking on Richelieu and they carry a brand called Lion Grip. Has anyone use it? It seems like more of a industrial glue, maybe the industries version of titebond? The price is about the same, within a buck. I am curious if anyone has given it a try?

Art Mann
07-01-2017, 4:20 PM
I looked at the ad and they don't claim any special properties, like long open time or water proof, that would recommend it. I have found Titebond products to be utterly reliable. I'm thinking if there is no price advantage and no exceptional properties of the material, then why bother with it.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-01-2017, 5:24 PM
I have found Titebond products to be utterly reliable.

Ditto. Why mess with success at any price?

Frederick Skelly
07-01-2017, 5:28 PM
I agree with the guys above. What makes you want to switch David? What problem are you trying to solve?

David Boardman
07-01-2017, 7:59 PM
No reason to switch. I was just curious about the product. Bsiy tire bond has the run on wood glue. Most stores carry titebond and maybe elmers or some odd ball. I am just wondering what do the big companies use.

John TenEyck
07-01-2017, 8:11 PM
I toured the Stickley manufacturing plant in Manlius, NY recently. They use TB II with red dye mixed in. They buy it in those big carboys that are the size of a pallet, 250 gals maybe. So at least one of the big boys uses Titebond.

John

Larry Anderson
07-01-2017, 11:53 PM
Been using Titebond III for years and see no reason to change.

Adam Herman
07-02-2017, 12:54 AM
I have been in a few different type of factories, pre hanging doors, making any kind of wood part for contract and furniture, all of them use titebond products.

Wayne Lomman
07-02-2017, 3:17 AM
Try it out. How did everyone find out about titebond when it was new on the market? Not by saying don't use that new fangled titebond stuff. This Lion Grip may be good or it may not be. Personally I use any cross linking pva for run of the mill stuff and resorcinol or epoxy if it matters. Cheers

Jim Becker
07-02-2017, 10:55 AM
I pretty much stick to TB-III, but did buy a small container of the Lee Valley PVA just to play with when I needed a few bucks on an order to get free shipping. The big advantage to TB-III (aside from how good it is) is that it's readily available locally when I need it because I do not prefer to buy in larger containers since my shop time is somewhat sporadic.