PDA

View Full Version : oak problems

Jack Wood
10-25-2005, 7:37 AM
I was able to get some large blocks of oak from a tree that was being cut down and I have twice now tried to turn some with bad results, as in coming apart while turning it!:eek: I tried to turn basic vase style pieces just to see what it did and after getting it down to the depth I needed I went back to the outside to finish out and BAM the thing comes flying apart! As a side note this is why I never turn without a full face shield, both times the chunk hit me dead in the middle of my shield, about where my mouth/nose would be.:( SO my question is what is my problem, me or is it just what oak does sometimes when turned?:confused:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 8:36 AM
Jack,

I have never turned larger peices of wood, but with smaller peices of oak the chipping of it was highly annoying!! I finally relented to using the 80 grit gouge most of the time!

Keel McDonald
10-25-2005, 10:43 AM
I wholeheartedly agree about the FULL-FACE shield. The first time I ever turned I didn't have a full-face shield and was nailed in the forehead by the wood as it flew off the lathe. Glad to hear you wear one too.

Philip Duffy
10-25-2005, 1:01 PM
Well, there are oaks and oaks. My guess is you were face to face (sorry, I could not resist!) with a piece of red oak. Turn it very green, seal it up all over and pray it does not crack. Or, use the DNA method for best results. I just finished a piece of red oak firewood and got it down to less than 1/4 in and it looks good. The nice thing about oak is that it sands true to form and the end results can be really beautiful. Use a filler and poly to bring up the sheen. Keep the face shield on at all times!

Mike Wenzloff
10-25-2005, 1:35 PM
I wholeheartedly agree about the FULL-FACE shield. The first time I ever turned I didn't have a full-face shield and was nailed in the forehead by the wood as it flew off the lathe. Glad to hear you wear one too.
I felt like I should have worn a full body shield for this, one of my first turnings...

http://wenzloffandsons.com/temp/turnings/mike/m-day_2005b.jpg

The fibers between the cracks in this piece of wood from the firewood pile are still intact. As I was undercutting the rim, the rim began to flutter. I figured it was time to stop.

As I was doing the other half of this chunk, I got about half way done when pieces impaled my ceiling, hit the shield and my chest. Happens really quick.

Impressed me enough I wear a shield even for the pens I've been making!

Mike
who still has both eyes intact.

Glenn Hodges
10-25-2005, 5:57 PM
I have had pretty good luck with live oak and chestnut oak. A guy brought me some water oak (that is what he called it), and I turned 10 bowls from it averaging 10 inches in diameter when roughed out. I only was able to finish turning 2 of those bowls the rest split all to pieces. I turn verry little oak because I have found it is not worth the trouble.

Jack Wood
10-25-2005, 6:08 PM
whew! Glad it's not just me that has problems with the stuff. Philip you are right about it being Red Oak. There was a huge one that was cut down where I work and these were part of the trunk that was cut out in sections before they ground it down. It has checks through out and I knew it was going to be touchy but nothing like it's turned out to be. After I calmed down I got to looking at the piece I was trying to turn and there were checks in it that you could see light through:eek: Mike I was able to get one small turning out of it without it coming apart and the grain in it looks just like the one you posted. But it warped oval in no time. If nothing else I reinforced my habit of wearing a face shield when turning. So I guess for some of my smaller things I might try it again but I think I will just re-saw most of it to make small boxes out of it. Live and learn! Happy turnings everyone!:)

Dennis Peacock
10-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Jack,

I've NEVER had good results with Red Oak or White Oak for turning. I've even taken some freshly cut, roughed it out, soaked in DNA over night, taken out, wrapped, and let set for about 1 month. Took it out, started finish turning it and stopped as soon as I saw this thing develop a crack across the entire bottom and sides of the bowl. I've been hit enough times to where I pay real close attention to what I'm turning and if it develops cracks? It get glue if the cracks are small, or gets removed for "fancey-shmancey firewood" BEFORE it decides to jump off and hit me.

Maybe it's a "type" of oak that can be turned without too much trouble, but so far, I haven't had anything but trouble with any oak I've tried to turn.

Mark Cothren has the "only" piece of oak that I've ever turned that stayed together.

Jack Wood
10-26-2005, 7:52 AM
HI DENNIS! how's things in Razorback land? Well if you have problems with oak then it really is a hard wood to work!:D It's pretty scary when a big chunk of wood with sharp edges comes visiting your face uninvited. I have plenty of other wood that I will use and leave the oak to making boxes and such with. Hope you and yours are doing good, see you next time your in town? Oh by the way I cut my shellac like you said to and your right about the look, thanks for the good advice! SEEYA!

Carole Valentine
10-26-2005, 10:45 AM
after getting it down to the depth I needed I went back to the outside to finish out and BAM the thing comes flying apart!

I never go back to the outside after I have hollowed a piece other than reversing to finish the foot. I try to do all of my work on the outside while I have the wood mass behind it. Once you have hollowed, more than likely the outside is no longer perfectly round. The piece is thin, prone to vibration and, for me at least, an invitation for a big BANG! LOL That being said, I consider our local Oak (both white and red) to be firewood, not turning wood, with the exception of spindles for furniture legs etc. I really dislike turning the stuff.