PDA

View Full Version : Collaboration Box

Michael Stafford
10-25-2005, 7:05 AM
This box marks a couple of first for me. This is the first time I have turned a box from mahogany and also the first time I have ever collaborated on a project with anyone.

Terry Quiram having seen my feeble attempts at handles and finials must have felt sorry for me and contacted me. In his note he suggested that he would be willing to send me some finials in return for a turned box using one of his turnings. I jumped at the chance.

When the package arrived from Terry I had several wonderful finials and one which Terry had marked was supposed to be incorporated into his box. My dilemma was designing a box that would do his finial justice. Usually I just chuck up a piece of wood and start turning and whatever shape, good or bad, that comes out is the shape of the box I end up with.

In this particular instance I gave it some thought and chose the wood carefully so that it would complement the finial. As it turned out Dick Parr had given me a couple of pieces of mahogany suitable for boxes and I decided I liked the contrast between the hop hornbeam finial and the brown of the mahogany.

So here it is. The body of the box, in mahogany is roughly 3" tall and 3" in diameter. The finial in hop hornbeam is about 2" tall. You have to agree that Terry does wonderful finial work.

Travis Stinson
10-25-2005, 7:34 AM
There it is! Wonderful Mike. The box and the finial both compliment each other beautifully.:)

Dick Parr
10-25-2005, 7:42 AM
Outstanding Mike, you and Terry are a pretty good team.;) Glad you got some use out of those pieces of mahogany.

Joe Tonich
10-25-2005, 8:20 AM
Sweet, BM!
You did it again..........:D
Beautiful!!!!
With you and Terry tag-team...........beautiful things are in the making. :D

Joe

Keith Burns
10-25-2005, 8:22 AM
Don't you love it when a plan comes together. Each box you do impresses me more. This one is another winner for sure.

Mark Cothren
10-25-2005, 9:27 AM
WOW! Great work by both of you guys!

Thanks for the pictures!

Glenn Hodges
10-25-2005, 10:20 AM
The finial and the box come together to make eye candy. The box has lines that are as near perfect as I have seen, and the colors are favorates of mine.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Wow! You two really need to work together more often. I am sure that Terry will love "his/your" box! :)

Loy Hawes
10-25-2005, 3:19 PM
Very nice! It is a well balanced piece.

Jim Ketron
10-25-2005, 6:34 PM
Love it! Wonderful Shape and the finial looks great!

Dave O'Nan
10-25-2005, 8:14 PM
That's beautiful Mike, you are very talented. And you created a box that really complements that elegant finial. Dave:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-27-2005, 11:34 PM
That's taking the gloves off, Mike! A great job of "Boxing."

Bruce

Robert Watsek
10-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Great work once again by Mr Boxmaster and Mr Finials.

Way to go Mike and Terry.........love it!!!:cool: :D

Bob