PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used golf cart

Dave Lehnert
06-29-2017, 11:46 PM
Want to start looking for a used golf cart for my 80 + mother to use around the place.

Any tips on what to look out for, Gas/ electric??? . Good brands, bad brands.

I know nothing about one.

Thinking gas because it will see limited use and afraid a electric cart battery would not last??????

Lee Schierer
06-30-2017, 8:59 PM
Check to see what is allowed where your mother will be using the cart. Some places don't allow gas powered carts....

Dave Lehnert
07-01-2017, 11:08 PM
Check to see what is allowed where your mother will be using the cart. Some places don't allow gas powered carts....

Just round the home

Malcolm Schweizer
07-02-2017, 7:43 AM
We have an island here that is very small and most folks use golf carts to get around. The gas ones are better hill climbers and probably that's why they seem to be more prevalent. The electric ones, however, would be easier for your mom to use. They are smoother, don't need gasoline and oil, and overall are less maintenance. A good cart battery should last 4 years. Look for AGM batteries (Absorbent Glass Mat). They are what sailboats use for house batteries and are very good at deep cycle use.

If you do get a gas one, maybe consider something like the Gator that John Deere makes that has a small bed for hauling stuff and has accessory options. You might like to use it yourself doing work around the yard. Also if you're up north you could get a snow plow for it to make quick work of clearing the driveway.

Pat Barry
07-02-2017, 8:46 AM
I've driven lots of golf carts and electric is so much better. Gas just creates more maintenance and with electric you have better speed control plus very quiet and plenty of power.

Matt Meiser
07-02-2017, 9:18 AM
There's a number of them running around our subdivision and they all seem to be electric.

Jim Becker
07-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Electric is generally more popular with folks for personal ownership...charging stations are usually available in developments that permit (and encourage) golf cart use, whereas "gas" powered units require getting fuel some somewhere and dealing with the tank, etc. The downside to electric is that you absolutely do need to change the batteries out every 3-5 years. My dad just had to do that with his 1989 EzGo...the batteries were just north of $500 to replace.

Dave Lehnert
07-02-2017, 2:02 PM
Have to agree that electric would be my preferred choice. But like Jim said above $500 every 3 to 5 years will add up quick. The only reason I'm thinking gas.

Matt Meiser
07-02-2017, 4:04 PM
But how much are you going to pay for gas over 3-5 years and how is she going to get it and fill the thing up? And how much is maintenance and repairs (especially carb repairs from old gas) going to run?

Dave Lehnert
07-02-2017, 5:33 PM
But how much are you going to pay for gas over 3-5 years and how is she going to get it and fill the thing up? And how much is maintenance and repairs (especially carb repairs from old gas) going to run?

All valid points.
She lives with me so I would take care of gassing it up and everything. I have a lot of gas powered equipment and take care of 100% maintenance and 90% of repairs. Figure a golf cart should not be too much different.
As far as electric cart goes, I work as an Electrical/Mechanical assembler so I would have access to a lot of coworkers that could help trouble shoot if needed.

I have talked to a local guy who has a small lot selling used carts. He has also suggested I look closer to electric. (And they are cheaper)

I guess in my case a battery would last longer than for most. She would only be out in it when I'm home and the place is only 2 1/2 acres, so total run time for each trip would be minimal. Not like she would have to count on it to last for miles.

Thanks everyone for pointing out things to think about.

Brian Elfert
07-02-2017, 8:16 PM
I looked seriously for a golf cart for a while. I found that electric golf carts were almost always a lot cheaper than a gas golf cart. The difference was usually enough to pay for at least one set of batteries.

I ended up giving up my search because the only gas golf carts in my price range were non-running. I needed to have gas due to the distances driven.

Dave Lehnert
05-27-2018, 1:20 AM
Just thought I would update my post from last year.

Last year I put the golf cart purchase on hold. Did not have the space in the garage for winter storage. Sale of my Mustang in January took care of that.

Yesterday I purchased a 2014 Club Car precedent 48 volt electric. I got to cleaning it up today and was surprised how good of shape it's in. Hardly looks used. Came from a local country club via a small town used cart dealer.
Priced at $2,750. I was hoping to spend a bit less but the ride was so much better than the older Club Car DS they had.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Becker
05-27-2018, 10:51 AM
That looks like a fine setup, Dave. I think you'll get your money's worth and it's likely that it was well maintained since it had a business job to do in its previous life.

I recently sold my father's golf cart after he passed away. It was a 1989 EZGo. Yea...that old. I only got $600 for it, but that covered the brand new batteries and rain cover I had just purchased for it on dad's request a couple months earlier. It was functional. Not fast. Not flashy. And the folks that bought it will get a lot of utility from it on their rural property with a very long (nearly a mile) driveway, etc. The wife hates to use the tractor, so the cart will get her to the mailbox and to neighbors. The husband will use it to traverse their property to a park where he can whack some balls on occasion. If I hadn't got a buyer during the week I was there in central Florida dealing with things, I would have trailered it home to either use here, or sell to a farm locally.

Keith Outten
05-27-2018, 11:39 AM
During my ten years at CNU I was exposed to a lot of golf carts. Most were electric, we only had a few engine powered carts because of the noise on campus. A battery powered golf cart is very reliable and more powerful than most people realize. Our Lawn Maintenance staff pulled lawn seeders and a whole host of other implements with golf carts including trailers to haul everything from flowers to mulch to trash.

Make sure that you keep DI water in your shop and check the batteries often. Running batteries without water is like running an engine without oil. Everyone knows this but you would be surprised at how many people forget to service the batteries in their carts.

Bill Dufour
05-27-2018, 1:31 PM
My MIL lived in Sun City which had a lot of carts. Make sure the one you buy has brake lights and turn signals. headlights are only required for night driving. Headlights are easy enough to add later
Bil lD