PDA

View Full Version : Fiber laser cutter

Michael Henriksen
06-29-2017, 4:21 PM
Does anyone here own a fiber laser cutter or operate one? I know Dave Sheldrake does but I can't keep pestering him for info all the time :)

I plan to buy one with a 700W nLight source, hopefully not too long after we relocate to Denmark. I have a lot of product ideas but I'm not sure about the feasability of all of them as I have no prior experience with metal cutting lasers.

Dave Sheldrake
06-29-2017, 8:22 PM
Yea ya can Mike, Just grab me on facebook :)

Michael Henriksen
07-02-2017, 9:17 AM
Dave, thanks a lot for you patience and help!!

I don't know if there are only very few smaller fiber lasers (under 1kW) out in the wild or if it is just a case of the owners not participating on forums/groups. I suppose most are bought for a very specific purpose. My angle is somewhat different. It's part production tool, part design/development tool for me. I want to develop a range of kits and various interior design items (and a lot of other things - not short on ideas). I don't want to be a job shop. On the other hand if someone wants a short run and pay a decent price I won't turn them away.

The plan is to buy a machine with a 700W nLight source. The nLight will cope with reflective materials like brass, copper and alu which I gather the Raycus source struggles with. I have the money saved up for one. Or rather; I had. Because we have dedcided to relocate that is going to eat up some of the available funds. Good news is that because we will be moving to a rural area in Denmark I can apply for an EU grant that will cover part of the cost of the fiber laser.