PDA

View Full Version : Small Lathe Choice- Non VS vs VS

Bill Splaine
06-29-2017, 2:12 PM
I'm considering a new midi lathe. Wow, would I love to be able to justify a Oneway.

But, I can't. I'm looking at both the Jet and the Delta 12" lathes. I think it's a tossup. My question is.. should I go for a variable speed. "Everyone" suggests VS is the way to go.

However, knowing just enough about electronics to be dangerous.. what if the circuit board goes belly up? How many years before Delta or Jet will no longer carry those replacement parts? That is my fear. With a manual transition lathe I should be able to get parts.. or have them made forever, so to speak

What say you all..

Bill

Roger Chandler
06-29-2017, 2:22 PM
If you are serious about turning, the Jet 1221 Vs is a great midi lathe......I have the Delta 46-460 Vs, and got it before the Jet 1221 came out. If you just want to make a project now & then, the manual belt changing probably won't bother you. Variable speed with a controller [D/C] or inverter [A/C] is state of the art now.....They are fairly reliable, but keep them away from power surges/electrical spikes due to lightening, by keeping the lathe unplugged when not in use.

Sid Matheny
06-29-2017, 2:37 PM
I have had both and have to say VS is the way to go!

Prashun Patel
06-29-2017, 3:08 PM
Skip the delta 460. I have one. It's not the electronics but the reversing switch that goes on early models of this. Parts are notoriously hard to come by.

Mine still works fine with no issues, but if I were buying new I would consider newer models.

Harold Balzonia
06-29-2017, 3:20 PM
My delta 46-460 has been bullet proof for 6 years and I've probably turned 500 bowls on it. Not one thing has ever given me pause or come close to breaking. And I have run it with crazy, wonky blanks on it and pushed its 12" capacity to the very limit. I can't recommend it strongly enough. My business partner switched from a jet to the delta and has had exactly the same experience with his 46-460 for the past 2 years.

as far as VS vs non-VS... go with the VS and don't look back

Marvin Hasenak
06-29-2017, 3:38 PM
I think the VS and Non VS depends on what you want to do with a lathe. and your patience factor. I currently use a 1973 Delta belt changer and a 1940's Craftsman belt changer. I am not in a hurry, I can take the 15 seconds to change the speed. The '72 has a jack shaft so I can slow it down to less than a 100 RPM. I also have another motor that I can adapt to it that would give me zero to 3000 at the turn of the dial with reverse.

If I were you I would be making a trip to buy this one. It is an old, as in real old Walker Turner lathe that has a metal lathe cross slide with it for $300. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/6187590566.html Then buy a tool rest for it off of eBay. For less that $400 and have a lathe that will do about anything I would ever want to do.

Robert Henrickson
06-29-2017, 3:40 PM
Variable speed! If for no other reason than that it allows you to adjust speed to minimize vibration, especially for out of round work. I did a demo just last weekend on a midi -- the VS was a lifesaver for initial roughing, even with relatively small blocks. I do own a mini without VS -- bought when VS was less common than now on small lathes. I've kept it simply to use for demos when necessary, since it is not too heavy to move around. This last demo, a friend brought his VS midi, so I was able to avoid my mini.

Brice Rogers
06-29-2017, 5:24 PM
If all you are going to do are pens and smaller spindles, then a variable speed isn't as critical. It is still nice though.

But if you are planning on doing bowls, goblets, plates or anything of significant mass, it can be scary (and potentially dangerous) turning on the lathe with a brand new chunk of wood in it. My old craftsman belt changer was seriously scary if I had something out-of-balance. Its lowest speed was 850 rpm.

Even if you think you're only going to do pens, if the "bug" takes hold, you'll eventually try bigger things and will regret not buying a VS.

I think that the newer mechanically variable speed lathes (Reeve's sheave) all pretty much suffer from a lack of parts after about 5 years (or less). If you go the mechanical VS route, you would be wise to buy one or two sets of spare sheave components initially. There are a lot of people with older mechanical VS lathes who have trouble getting spare parts.

If you buy an electronic VS lathe and you fry the electronics, there are a lot of inverters that can be purchased off of ebay or Amazon.

Lamar Wright
06-29-2017, 5:38 PM
Hi Bill, I have the Delta Midi lathe with VS and it has served me well. I used it just about every day for 4 years making pens and have not had any problems with the lathe. I am now changing course from making pens to make other things. It is still ticking along.

Rich Colvin
06-29-2017, 5:42 PM
Bill, I'd go for the Variable Speed lathe because it can also go in reverse. I use that a fair amount on my bigger lathe, and realize how much I would have liked it on my older MIDI lathe.

George Guadiane
06-29-2017, 6:05 PM
TO ME, the Jet 12/21 is the way to go. I have one, I mostly use it for demonstrations, but it is very much like my PM 3520
It's a little more expensive than the Delta, but I think it is worth the extra money.
VS is the onl.

Dennis Ford
06-29-2017, 6:06 PM
The biggest issue I have had with variable speed is lack of power, the early models had the same size motor as the belt change models and were weak at slow speed. You get rated HP at full speed and less when the motor speed is reduced. I like variable speed with a decent size motor but still change the belt position to maximize power.

Frank Drew
06-29-2017, 6:45 PM
For turning between centers variable speed isn't 100% necessary, but for face plate and bowl work I'd hold out for vs and reversing; once you get used to those features you'd really not want to go back.

Thomas Canfield
06-29-2017, 10:04 PM
I have the Nova Comet II with VS as a midi and do like the VS. The Comet did require some modifications to get it set solid to a stand, and the low speed range has no power due to small pulley size. That said, it does a fairly good job in the mid and high speed ranges and makes a good travel lathe at a lower price and often with discount and free chuck or something. I also let new turners work on it and not my Powermatic 3520. You might also look at the VS Rikon compared to the Jet. To me, those would be the choice for a midi today.

Bill Blasic
06-30-2017, 6:20 AM
I have purchased over a dozen 46-460s for myself (2), a club (4) and for club members. Not one of these has had a problem that I am aware of. Mine plus the clubs have been used in about 100 hands on with newbies and seasoned turners and have performed flawlessly. Switches for these lathes are readily available if needed (I have checked). I have also on a few occasions had the opportunity to do hands on using the Jet 12-21 and to be truthful I was not impressed (I have a Jet 1642 and a 3520b). You should go with variable speed to begin with because it makes turning easier and better.

Bill Splaine
06-30-2017, 5:56 PM
Thanks all.. this is solid input.

Bill Blasic.. I want to be your friend :D

Robert Willing
06-30-2017, 7:45 PM
No question VS is the way to go with any wood lathe. I had a Nova 16 24 and converted it to VS. Now I have a Grizzly G0766. I will never go back to a non-VS.

Thom Sturgill
07-01-2017, 7:43 AM
Just to correct a few statements - the Jet 1220 is the older out of production model. The new model is 1221. My 1220VS had 5 speed belt changes as well as the adjustment although they told you to only use three of those speeds. Jet has a 5 year warrantee that is well supported.

Our club had several Delta's and had parts problems on all of them. Delta lathes bought the rights to the lathes from B&D when they acquired the parent company years ago. B&D supplied parts until they ran out and the contract expired, so parts were scarce for awhile.

The club now has access to a new Jet 1221vs. Everyone in the club seems to prefer the new Jet to the older Delta for ease of use, placement of the controls, and greater mass.

Peter Lamb
07-01-2017, 9:32 AM
Another plus for Delta 46-460 over the Jet.

Randy Heinemann
07-01-2017, 10:05 AM
I also have the Nova Comet II. I am a beginning turner, but love the lathe. The VS is nice because the mid-speed range seems just about right for doing the work I planned on doing, bowls. Since it has 3 pulleys, I suppose there are times when you would need to move the belt, but I haven't yet found one. It will turn a bowl up to 12" in diameter which is a little larger than most midi-lathes. I got the the G3 chuck free with it as an introductory offer and don't know if that is still available. The lathe is a very nice midi and, mounted on the Nova stand made for this lathe, it is very solid.

William C Rogers
07-01-2017, 10:07 AM
First VS is by far the way to go. I have the older Delta LA200 and the older Jet 1220. Both are 8 to 10 years old. The Jet is a VS and the Delta is belt. VS is the best choice. As far as these older lathes neither has had much go wrong. The Delta I have only changed the belt and replaced the speed handles (from plastic to metal). The Jet a little more, I replaced the toggle switch and had to disassemble and clean the rotor (kept tripping the breaker on the lathe). I bought a new lathe and have decided to sell the Delta mainly because the Jet is VS.

Thomas Canfield
07-01-2017, 9:15 PM
I also have the Nova Comet II. I am a beginning turner, but love the lathe. The VS is nice because the mid-speed range seems just about right for doing the work I planned on doing, bowls. Since it has 3 pulleys, I suppose there are times when you would need to move the belt, but I haven't yet found one. It will turn a bowl up to 12" in diameter which is a little larger than most midi-lathes. I got the the G3 chuck free with it as an introductory offer and don't know if that is still available. The lathe is a very nice midi and, mounted on the Nova stand made for this lathe, it is very solid.

Randy - you must be using fairly well balanced blanks to start a 12" piece out at the 500 min rpm of mid range. I usually work with log sections that are not balanced and find that my well fastened down Comet lathe can "dance" with 6 to 8"D pieces. I did use the low speed range once on a unbalanced 12"D piece at the 250 rpm but slipped the belt anytime that I took much cut, but did turn a bowl after get it balanced and switching to mid range belt setting. I use the high speed range for turning pens, finials, and some smaller lidded boxes.

Bill Splaine
07-01-2017, 10:09 PM
I thought I mentioned it earlier.. but....
I want to be Bill Blasic's Best Friend Forever. :D Sounds like a most generous man

Randy Heinemann
07-02-2017, 2:03 PM
Randy - you must be using fairly well balanced blanks to start a 12" piece out at the 500 min rpm of mid range. I usually work with log sections that are not balanced and find that my well fastened down Comet lathe can "dance" with 6 to 8"D pieces. I did use the low speed range once on a unbalanced 12"D piece at the 250 rpm but slipped the belt anytime that I took much cut, but did turn a bowl after get it balanced and switching to mid range belt setting. I use the high speed range for turning pens, finials, and some smaller lidded boxes.

Actually haven't done a 12" blank yet, but did do 10". I have taken most of my blanks so far from more regular wood I have glued up in the shop or from blanks I found at a good price or from friends. I always try to cut the blanks in as regular a circle as I can and, while one of the m did vibrate more, I quickly knocked the higher spots off and the vibration dropped off considerably. I have never had any problems with 6" to 8" blanks. Anyway, my point was that I think it's a great lathe, especially for a beginner bowl turner who is starting out small and building up. Plus, for other smaller turning projects it is great also. I'm sure that I'm likely to reach the limits of the lathe some day a couple of years down the road but, for now, I think it's a great lathe, especially for beginners and for those who want to turn just smaller items. If I had it to do over, I might buy a bigger VS lathe, like either the NOVA DVR 1644 or 2024, but I didn't want to spend $2,000 - $3,500 for a new lathe and find out I didn't really like turning. I do like it, but I like all kinds of woodworking and don't really focus a 100% on turning right now. So, for me, it is a great lathe.

Thomas Canfield
07-02-2017, 9:26 PM
Randy - I used my Comet today to turn 2 little pieces, one was severely out of balance to start, rather than my 3520B. The Comet does have a lot of good features and with some modifications, it works well for me and lighter weight makes a good travel lathe. Plan to keep it when you move up to a larger lathe.

Paul Williams
07-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Another vote for VS and the Delta 46-460. I have one of the very early models. I had a problem in the first month or so that turned out to be the speed potentiometer. Delta sent me a new circuit board with a pot attached. That is the only issue that I have had. I do keep the area around the switch vacuumed out every time I turn or take a break to sharpen tools. I can stall the motor with a deep cut and I have turned blanks that were scraping the ways until rounded off at just over 12 inches. I believe that Delta had a problem with parts but is better now. It never concerned me because a DC motor controller is a common part and I figured if the thing blew up and parts were not available I would just buy a replacement controller from a another company.

Bill Blasic
07-05-2017, 6:38 AM
Bill I bought them but was repaid by the club and the members who bought them. A group buy led to getting better prices. What I meant by not being impressed with the Jet 1221 is that the 1221 + stand is $1148 and the Delta 46-460 + stand is $800. To me there is no way that the 1221 is $348 better than the 46-460.