PDA

View Full Version : SawmillCreek Moving Wed, Oct. 26

Aaron Koehl
10-24-2005, 9:53 PM
SawmillCreek is Moving Wednesday, October 26th

Note: PLEASE LOGOUT!!

I am making preparations to move the SawmillCreek server to a new
physical location on Wednesday, Oct. 26.

While I will minimize the amount of downtime as much as possible, I may
need to take the forum down temporarily to test. This will be in the evening hours.

This particular move will require changing SawmillCreek's IP address, so
there is a high chance that it may cause some issues with cookies and
favorites/bookmarks. I highly suggest logging out with the LogOut link (at the top right)
sometime before Wednesday evening, in order to prevent any problems that might arise.

I will keep everyone posted, and as usual, I'll be ready to answer any questions about
logging in after the move. (webmaster@sawmillcreek.org)

Thanks!

Rob Russell
10-24-2005, 9:58 PM
Aaron,

As someone who spent almost 2 decades in technical support, I know that you've got a busy evening ahead of you tomorrow. Hope everything goes well!

Rob

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 8:31 AM
Aaron,

Here's to hoping all goes well! I too am in IT, these moves are always interesting :)

Brian Austin
10-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Aaron,

Here's to hoping all goes well! I too am in IT, these moves are always interesting :)
Amen. I'll sacrifice a chicken for you. ;)

Lee DeRaud
10-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I too am in IT, these moves are always interesting :)70% loathing, 30% fear...YMMV.:eek:

Keith Outten
10-25-2005, 10:56 AM
The new Internet connection was just installed in my shop office today at 10:45 am.

We will process the changes to the SMC domain tomorrow morninig. The server will be moved late in the afternoon or early eveninig. There will definately be some downtime but we should be back online by late eveninig tomorrow Oct 26,2005.

Ed Lang
10-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Keith & Aaron,

Remember, no pictures, it didn't happen :)

Just like I was not at your shop a few weeks back:rolleyes:

Good luck.

DNS don't fail me now.

Michael Gabbay
10-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Amen. I'll sacrifice a chicken for you. ;)

I've found it is more effective to sacrifice a help desk person on larger migrations and moves. It results in fewer problem tickets for some reason. :D

Good luck guys!

Mike

Jason Roehl
10-25-2005, 1:09 PM
I've found it is more effective to sacrifice a help desk person on larger migrations and moves. It results in fewer problem tickets for some reason. :D

Good luck guys!

Mike

Throw in a few PHBs for safe measure, and it should all go well.

Scott Donley
10-25-2005, 1:23 PM
The new Internet connection was just installed in my shop office today at 10:45 am.

We will process the changes to the SMC domain tomorrow morninig. The server will be moved late in the afternoon or early eveninig. There will definately be some downtime but we should be back online by late eveninig tomorrow Oct 26,2005.Now I'm confused ( think I was born that way) Just what time would you like us to be logged out ?
Good luck, and thanks

Lee DeRaud
10-25-2005, 8:00 PM

We will process the changes to the SMC domain tomorrow morninig. The server will be moved late in the afternoon or early eveninig. There will definately be some downtime but we should be back online by late eveninig tomorrow Oct 26,2005.Any idea how long it will take the new IP address to propagate through DNS out here to the west coast?

Jim Becker
10-25-2005, 8:02 PM
Remember, no pictures, it didn't happen

Awe, shucks...you beat me to it! I've wanted to post that all day long... :p

Andy Hoyt
10-25-2005, 8:43 PM
Awe, shucks...you beat me to it! I've wanted to post that all day long... :p

And if there are no pics to prove that it did happen, then it must not happen. and if it doesn't happen, we'll never know because the old server is absitively going away. And that darn aaron wants us to log off and ......

aaron - you gotta post pics. If you don't the pic police will be exposed

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2005, 9:11 PM
I'll roll the chicken bones.....good luck Folks!

Joe Mioux
10-25-2005, 9:25 PM

I looked at the time you posted this. Your time reads 9:56 am. WOW the new internet connection has a time machine device on it.:confused:

Keith Outten
10-25-2005, 9:26 PM
I will make the domain changes early tomorrow morninig. The root routers are normally updated at noon and at 6pm each day. When the updates take effect the SMC domain will cease to work untill the server is moved to my shop office and Aaron has the chance to make the necessary changes to the server config files.

This is also going to affect our email. Lets hope it goes without a hitch, otherwise it could be two days before we pop back up in your browser windows. We will be relying on Cox Cable for DNS support. In the past we ran our own primary and secondary DNS so I don't know what to expect from another company. In ten years HRO is the only Internet service I have ever used and we were self sufficient and were able to respond to our customers almost instantly. I doubt Cox will be as easy to deal with, I cannot even obtain a direct phone number for their Network Operations Center.

Keep your fingers crossed :)

Lee DeRaud
10-25-2005, 9:47 PM
I looked at the time you posted this. Your time reads 9:56 am. WOW the new internet connection has a time machine device on it.:confused:The time on the post is for your timezone, not his :p.

Andy Hoyt
10-25-2005, 10:36 PM
The time on the post is for your timezone, not his :p.

Reminds me of Belushi and gang synchronizing watches at Faber College