PDA

View Full Version : Performax drum Sander

Robert Newton
06-27-2017, 10:52 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a used Performax 16-32 sander Model #629003 Serial#062068
Ant thoughts appreciated.

Darcy Warner
06-27-2017, 11:10 PM
They are pretty decent Sanders, but I still don't care for the open ended ones.

Mike Henderson
06-27-2017, 11:18 PM
I have one of the 16-32 sanders and it works fine. But I'm looking for a bigger one. I'd like to get a 22-44. I'm too cheap to buy new so I'm watching Craigslist.

Mike

John K Jordan
06-27-2017, 11:47 PM
I have one of the 16-32 sanders and it works fine. But I'm looking for a bigger one. I'd like to get a 22-44. I'm too cheap to buy new so I'm watching Craigslist.

I bought a new 22-44 over 10 years ago and I love it, especially for small things. Well, I love it more after I learned how to change the sandpaper without frustration - throw away their little tool.

I was worried about the open end flexing but once I got it adjusted that doesn't seem to be an issue.

The dust collection is good too (with a ClearVue cyclone.)

JKJ

Art Mann
06-27-2017, 11:53 PM
I struggled and struggled with changing the sanding strip until I finally realized what John just said. The little tool is worth less than nothing because it is a distraction on the way to learning how to do the job.

Nick Decker
06-28-2017, 6:20 AM
I've heard that that little tool is actually useful...if you can ever figure out how to use it. It was beyond me, and mine is sitting at the bottom of a box that holds my sanding rolls. Changing the paper "by hand" is no big deal after the second or third time.

Kurt Kintner
06-28-2017, 9:29 AM
Nick.... I'm glad I'm not the only one that never could figure out how to use
that tool.... Only took me a few tries to realize how to hold the spring back
with a finger, and slip the end of the roll in ....
Other than that, my 16-32 is a machine I wouldn't be without ....

Charles Taylor
06-28-2017, 9:51 AM
I used to make sure I had the tool nearby during a paper change, but after a couple times without ever needing to pick it up and use it, mine is at the bottom of a box somewhere, just like Nick's.

Bill Adamsen
06-28-2017, 10:31 AM
I use the little tool, and then my fingers and then the tool again. Could probably get away without using it at all. Makes me covet a wide belt ... but then they have their own set of adjustment issues. I have a 22/44 I bought used, and it works great. Better than I expected it would.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-28-2017, 2:23 PM
I love mine.
Its not a planer. You cannot expect it to remove lots of wood. The tracking is problematic, but if are patient and read the instructions, you can get it to track. It removes a minimal amount of wood each pass. Removing lots of wood causes it to trip. You can sand veneers. You can flatten inlays. For the one job it does, SANDING, I think no other tool that can do the job. Yeah bigger sanders can. You can get bigger ones, they are better. The paper changing is not a challenge as far as I'm concerned. Read the instructions. You can dimension sand very figured wood or chippy wood like curly maple and koa. It takes a really long time. But when the wood costs more than the sander, it's worth it. Good luck in your search.

Jim Becker
06-28-2017, 3:13 PM
I had the larger 22-44 and it was a very nice machine. (I wasn't really using it, so I sold it to gain back the space, but wasn't unhappy with the tool when I did make use of it)

Peter Aeschliman
06-28-2017, 4:54 PM
With the right expectations, it's great.

Don't expect it to be a planer or for it to leave a finish-ready surface. My main use is for cleaning up shop-sawn veneer, and it works great for that. It's also good for taking off material on highly figured woods, but don't expect it to be fast!

Mike Henderson
06-28-2017, 7:42 PM
For certain woods, my planer will leave a rough surface - chips in the wood. The drum sander is great for finishing pieces like that (actually, it's not finish sanded but it's flat with no dings in the wood). I finish sand with hand sanders.

Mike

Chris Fournier
06-28-2017, 10:03 PM
I bought a 22/44 way back when there were no Canadian suppliers. Brave lad I imported that machine from of all places the USA! Set it up properly and learn to use it for the best results and it is a great machine. Mine has paid for itself many times over. It isn't industrial. Use a coarse grit and spring passes and you will get terrific results. I give this machine a 10! Get one and understand that it is really like a handplane, you have to get a feel for it and keep it in tune.

Art Mann
07-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Actually, I have two Performax sanders. I have a 16-32 and a 10-20. I bought the 10-20 new to finish CNC carved plaques, trivets, coasters and similar small items. I almost immediately traded an old Ridgid 6 inch jointer for the 16-32 and the sander was nearly new. I think the guy couldn't figure out how to adjust it. I am happy I have two machines. I need precise coplanarity. I keep 80 grit on the 16-32 and 150 grit on the 10-20. It cuts way down on finishing time on some items with a slim profit margin.

Robert Newton
07-02-2017, 4:51 PM
Thanks for all the info, purchased a used sander and very happy.

Gary Muto
07-09-2017, 11:33 PM
A bit late, but.... I bought a 22-44 about 10 years ago and like it a lot. It takes a ridiculous amount of space but it ti quite a bit beefier than the 16-32"

Steve Peterson
07-13-2017, 3:41 PM
They are pretty decent Sanders, but I still don't care for the open ended ones.

I have the 22/44 and like it a lot. I have never used the open end feature. The full price is a bit high, but you can sometimes find the in the $600-800 range on CL.

Steve

Shawn Pixley
07-13-2017, 8:28 PM
I have the 16 / 32 and love it. It finishes off thins after resawing. Once I got mine set up, it has had no issues.