PDA

View Full Version : Cherry for a project...

steven c newman
06-27-2017, 6:18 PM
maybe two..
What I have to work with...this stack is all Cherry
In the middle, somewhere, there is a nice, thick slab I can resaw down for leg blanks
There is some thin Poplar and some 4/4 Poplar for secondary use....
Resaw...could have been a little better.
1/2" bandsaw blade wanted to follow the grain.:mad:
But, we have ways..
Three planes. On the shelf is a Stanley No. 5-1/2, T-17, and an Ohio Tool Co. #0-7. On the bench top is the Stanley No. 8,T-7.....
The Jumbo Jack is set coarse, and used first, then the 0-7 as it isn't as deeply set. Finish up with the No.8
Makes a mess on the floor..
"Igor, clean up on aisle 1!"

Rachel's Standing Desk. Underhill used pine,:rolleyes: this one will be in Cherry. :D

Stay tuned. :D

steven c newman
06-27-2017, 10:12 PM
Hmmm, this showed up when I planed a few sawn edges...
Cherry? Or, do I hope I have enough other of these "plain" boards in the stash?
Wasn't much of a hint on the face grain....
These two didn't have much trouble cleaning the edge grain up.
Mitre saw for a few crosscuts....

Been one of them days...
Two Fingers, and call it a day.

Stew Denton
06-28-2017, 12:00 AM
Wow Steven,

That grain is really something. Hope you can think of a project to take advantage of it.

Stew

Mike Baker 2
06-28-2017, 8:27 AM
Very nice looking wood. Love the feel working with Cherry. Hard to describe, but with what I've used of it, when you cut it or take a file to it the surface look reminds me of crayon. So does Padauk.
Kinda like how I love White Ash because it smells like Cheerios when I plane it, lol.
That is going to make a lovely project.

Pat Barry
06-28-2017, 8:58 AM
Nice material that should make a nice project. Looking forward with interest!

Jerry Olexa
06-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Nice stack of CHERRY....You are fortunate.

steven c newman
06-28-2017, 1:15 PM
Details from this morning's workout..
Front and back aprons were cut to a better size ( 26", before the tenons were cut)
Tenons were milled ( 1/4" thick, mortise will be 3/4" deep. may trim the stretchers back a bit)
Set up the old 45....
With a #23 cutter....had it set a tad too deep, once it was adjusted..
Worked much better...used a plane to clean things up a bit..
Might as well do this now, might be a bit hard to do when things are put together
After a Lunch Break, we have some chopping to do...
Yes, I do the tenons first. And match the mortise to each tenon.

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
06-28-2017, 7:02 PM
Mortise time.
Round up the Usual Suspects
Layout a few holes to be dug...
Dry fit #1...rotate 90 degrees..
Now I know which will be the outside corner...details..
Details...
and details...
Got the front two legs all mortised up. trying a BIG dry fit..
There is one use for dog holes...
I tend to stash the chisels in the dog holes when I am working, keeps them from rolling off onto the floor, or my foot.

From the looks of that dry fit......this is going to be a b....bear to glue up and clamp up. May have to do things is stages?
Maybe tomorrow, I can get the back legs mortised. Need to get this "base" done, so I can start on the desk unit for on top of it.

Stay tuned...the cussing has started...:eek:

Mike Baker 2
06-28-2017, 9:40 PM
Heyyy! Great use for the dog holes. :)
Looking great so far.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-29-2017, 10:20 AM
Stay tuned...the cussing has started...:eek:

Sounds like it might be time for two more fingers......:D

Love that grain pattern you found.

steven c newman
06-29-2017, 7:14 PM
Ok, got the tools set up for the shop..
Shop Stool? Check..
Refill an empty Dew bottle with water..check
Cool air supply? Check

Crosscut and jointed four boards.....was going to do a glue up.....A couple pipe clamps are way too long for use in this shop.....pipe cutter to cut one down...SNAP! Hmmm, well I happen to have a couple hacksaws just hanging around

Cut the three LONG clamps down, roughly 4' long now. Much easier to do a glue up..
Since the bench was now cleaned off, might as well set up for more Mortise work..
One of the back legs. Set up for the rear apron mortise..
Doesn't take all that long to chop down to 5/8" deep....trimmed the tenon for final length...dry fit?
Works for me. IF I survive eating my own cooking, I MIGHT get the other 5 mortises done....Maybe tomorrow I can start the Big Glue Up Fight?

THREE fingers tonight....

Rick Malakoff
06-29-2017, 9:45 PM
Steven, Great looking cherry you got there. Looking at your photos did you make a tail vise out of the red vise and is it a craftsman?
Rick

steven c newman
06-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Yep, and yep. Picked the vise for..$10

Got one back leg done ( 3 mortises) and a dry fit..
Which left a bead detail to do on the back leg's outside corner..
One outside face is up, I run the Stanley 45 until the bead looks presentable...rotate things around until the other outside face is up, and run the plane, again
Staged some clamps, and started a glue up
Things were getting squirrely....cussing was in effect. Needed a "third hand"
Checked for square a dozen times....got lucky.
Put this mess aside with the other glue up. Set up the mortise the last leg....had the layout done, and ready to chop...

I forgot I needed on more board. There is a stretcher that connects the two side stretchers ( foot rest?) so I had to trudge back upstairs to the scrap wood stash, select another chunk of wood that matched the stretchers, haul that to the shop, resaw to width ( was a 1x8) and then use the Langdon to crosscut to length..back was starting to complain....called it a night.

Every Labour Day weekend, a village just south of here has a "Tractor Fest" a four day affair. The vise came from one of those Fests. Last year, I went two days, walked a couple MILES each day, and found a lot of tools for sale...I intend to be there this coming Labour Day....

Rick Malakoff
06-30-2017, 12:00 AM
I have one that is the same or very similar and was thinking of doing the same, I really don't care for mine that much since I picked up an Abernathy and Colombian that are both quick release. I'm going to re place the bench outside and install the Abernathy and use the red one for the tail.
There just added another project and keep the daily updates coming!
Rick

steven c newman
06-30-2017, 7:24 AM
Had to place the camera's battery on the charger....
IF the thunderstorms are over with for the morning, there are some yard sales the Boss wants to go to....maybe after Lunch I can get to the wood shop?

Maybe use a scrub jack to level the panel, and hope it stays flat. Once the base is done, I can start on the desk part.....might take a while...

Then comes the debate on a finish.....I do know that the Infamous Witch's Brew is not quite right for this type of wood. BLO or Shellac under a top coat of poly....
This was BLO with 2 coats of poly gloss....

Mike Baker 2
06-30-2017, 8:51 AM
Looking good, as usual. Enjoying the build.
And I see you survived your own cooking, too.
There is hope. ;)

steven c newman
06-30-2017, 8:08 PM
Teaser, until later...ripped a piece to make the cross-stretcher....board still had rough sawn markings. Jig to hold it still, and a Millers Falls Junior Jack No.11 to smooth it out..
One face, then the edges...then..
The other face. Need to bead the four corners. Maybe later?

steven c newman
06-30-2017, 9:19 PM
Shoulders are acting up tonight, cramps in the shoulder blade area....might take the rest of the night off..try again tomorrow....

steven c newman
07-01-2017, 2:16 PM
Mr. Gumption wants me IN the shop, today...have a few more mortises to chop, and do yet another glue-up......bought a case of gatorade for the shop..

Plan for today? Mortises chopped on the last leg ( on the desk, NOT my leg..) do a glue up. Mock up where the crossstretcher will go, and work on the joints to connect things up. Not too much to ask, for one day, moving at the speed of smell?

steven c newman
07-01-2017, 6:08 PM
Well, didn't even move that fast....it beat me up the stairs...:rolleyes:

Did get a small amount of things done today, before the back started up, again..
Drilled a few holes, once I got this assembly out of the clamps..
Pinned all the joints...
Trimmed and planed smooth.
Cross-stretcher got beads on all four corners, clean up with a small knife..
Then chop the last of the leg mortises, and do a dry fit..
Not too hateful....glue and clamps, next..
Leg vise as a Third Hand. Starting to make a mistake or two...The corner bead I add to the leg's outside corner? Forgot it..:rolleyes: Can add it once the assembly is out of the clamps.
Might as well do a full dry fit..
Just to see how much of a ....bear this will be. I also sized the cross stretcher, and made a couple cuts..
I can cut the socket later. Back was hurting....time to call it a day? Working on my third Gatorade....trying to keep Uncle Charles (Horse) at bay.
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Now have the "false top" squared up, both faces are almost flattened up...more concerned about the edges being flat where the desk unit will sit on it. Left side assembly is now sitting on the bench...have plane work to do, and cut a dovetail socket. Then the right side also will get a socket cut out. Not looking forward to the main glue up......not enough hands.

There may be a "Blue Streak" coming out of the shop...later....ear plugs may be needed.

steven c newman
07-02-2017, 2:20 PM
Scrub Jack plane..
then the #6
Stanley 45 and the shop stool working together..
Pinned a few spots.
Smoothed a few spots..
Handsaw for a bit..
Followed by a chisel or two..
Dry fit..
Then the ugly stuff started, and the cussing....stay tuned

steven c newman
07-02-2017, 2:28 PM
Some dummy decided to actually do a one-man glue-up today...( ear plugs were issued )
Wound up like this, in order to clamp the bottom of the legs into square to the top of the legs...

Letting the glue cure....MIGHT go and make Pine corner blocks, and even attach them. Will give me a way to attach this..
And then I can start on the desk unit that sits on this top. Now, I just sitting here, peeling glue off my fingers.

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-02-2017, 5:04 PM
I suppose I should meander back down there, and see how things are turning out......or, just let "sleeping Dogs lie"?

Have been informed by the Boss, a friend of her Pastor would like a simple little box built...
And... I get to replace the screen door on the backdoor.....and add a doggy door to boot. Never ends....

Mike Baker 2
07-02-2017, 7:58 PM
This place needs a "like" button.

steven c newman
07-02-2017, 8:24 PM
Well....Thing is out of the clamps. Need to cut some corner blocks...
Just some leftover Pine from the Pantry build...
Drill a few holes for screws, and countersink for the heads..
Add some Elmer's and two screws..
Supposed to keep things solid at the corners..
All four corners get these. Wasn't done, though, had to add a slotted hole ..
I drill straight down, then rock the drill back and forth to form the slot.
More about the slot in a bit....had to decide which will be a show face on the panel...this one..
Meh, not really, maybe the other face?
Passable? Set this face onto the bench, set the base onto the meh side, set the reveals all around...and attached the panel to the base.
Yes, that is a nut. It will not move, but it will allow the screw to tilt as the wood panel moves...besides, the screws were a tad long...

steven c newman
07-02-2017, 8:28 PM
Hmm..8 pictures already? Space flies when you are having fun...

Anyway I can set the stand for the desk back onto it's own four feet..
seems all the building is done here..
I guess I need to clear the bench, and start on the desk unit that will sit on that panel?
Stay tuned...we are only at the halfway point....

steven c newman
07-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Just went through the stack of "scrap lumber"...looking for enough to build the desk parts.....found enough ROUGH stuff, all 4/4....hmmm. I have a friend that still has my old PC lunch box planer.....would be nice to get these all down to 3/4" or a tad thinner. I also need a bit of 1/2" stock for that box build. may give him a call and see what he is doing....

Have a few to glue up the sloped lid and top parts. 4/4" would be a tad too heavy to lift, though. Marked a couple other boards for a back, and the sides. Not sure about what will go INSIDE the box.....yet.

steven c newman
07-03-2017, 6:24 PM
Jointed a couple edges....Friday I haul a bunch of boards to be run through the planer.

Until then, I have a screen door to replace,AFTER installing a Doggy Door in the new screen door.

Among the boards going along Friday, will be one to be taken down toaround 1/2" thick. Have a fancy little box to also get down....both will get delivered at the same place and day...I hope.

Add-on pieces to box in the DD, meant a bunch of room trips to the shop...had to keep the sawdust IN the shop..
Maybe this weekend I can get back to desk building...maybe?

steven c newman
07-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Pet door is installed, screen guard is installed....checked the old latch...was set up for a skinnier thickness....had to go and buy a new one. Boss thinks she has found the paint colour she likes for the new screendoor....I'll hand her a brush...

was able to rehab a handsaw today,...took about an hour, if that..
Even found an etch! EC Atkins & Co.. has the AAA logo, too. Had one small kink in the tooth line, was able to hammer that out.
Cleaned up a few hinges....wire wheel on the grinder decided to "eat" the one brass hinge. Got the bag of hinges...they did not come with any screws.
French hinges?

Maybe tomorrow, I can demo out the old screendoor, and install the new one? Weather permitting.....

Maybe Saturday, I can get back to that project.....

Mike Baker 2
07-05-2017, 4:59 PM
Nice job on the saw, and the table.
I have three in need of rehab, but I'm still working on my first bench, so it will be a bit, yet. Lucky I have a Nicholson crosscut and some newer Stanley big box saws to rip with. They are not high quality, but they will get the job done.

Pat Barry
07-06-2017, 1:11 PM
Hmm..8 pictures already? Space flies when you are having fun...

Anyway I can set the stand for the desk back onto it's own four feet..
seems all the building is done here..
I guess I need to clear the bench, and start on the desk unit that will sit on that panel?
Stay tuned...we are only at the halfway point....
I like the grain matching on the top, that looks nice. also, the overall proportions are nice, expecially the sizes of the legs and cross-stretchers although the center stretcher is a bit skinny for me (hope no one puts there feet there when sitting / working at the desk. One thing though, the top looks funny in the picture - maybe a bit of optical illusion like we talked about in one of Derek's recent post, but to me, the top looks a bit bowed up in the center.

steven c newman
07-06-2017, 2:48 PM
Desk is to be a Stand Up style. Center of the FALSE top is a tad thicker. Will level that out a bit, right where the desk unit will sit down on it. No need for more more than that.

Not bowed, just thicker boards in the center....

Not a foot rest, just a way to connect the to sides and keep them in place.

Underhill did a similar one in Pine....Rachel's Standing Desk....

Pat Barry
07-06-2017, 4:32 PM
Desk is to be a Stand Up style. Center of the FALSE top is a tad thicker. Will level that out a bit, right where the desk unit will sit down on it. No need for more more than that.

Not bowed, just thicker boards in the center....

Not a foot rest, just a way to connect the to sides and keep them in place.

Underhill did a similar one in Pine....Rachel's Standing Desk....
Cool, sounds good.

steven c newman
07-06-2017, 4:45 PM
Had some scraps, did a test of the Infamous Witch's Brew..
Hmmm..Cherry? Or..Maple

Parts is Parts..
Sitting on the three pieces for the lid..
2 sides, front, back and a top for the lid to be hinged from. Three parts for the lid..
May re-arrange these a bit for the glue up.

Boards are all over 1" thick....need to plane them down to just below 3/4" ...but,
This would take way too long.....

In the morning, a road trip to use a planer at a friend's shop. Hope the van can carry all of this weight...Stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Hauled these up the stairs to set them on a table.. plus another stack. A third stack is standing up beside the table. Looking at...25 boards, or so.

There is also an 0800 Yard Sale in the morning..with TOOLS! Wake up call is for 0700hrs.

Might just be a fun day....

Mike Baker 2
07-07-2017, 9:25 AM
Had some scraps, did a test of the Infamous Witch's Brew..
Hmmm..Cherry? Or..Maple

Parts is Parts..

:D
Lovely.
As I've been looking through this thread, there have been one or two shots that looked like maple to me as well. A lot. But color differences in monitors kept me from asking about them.
That is some beautiful wood, regardless.
And the work, as well.

steven c newman
07-07-2017, 1:13 PM
Been informed I have both "Flame" Cherry and Curly Maple in the "stash"

Loaded a bunch up this morning..
There is one board in there that was too wide for the planer....13-1/2"!
My old Delta planer. Off to the right, is the first "good" work bench I ever built...kind of made a mess in the fellow's shop.
Was distracted a bit..
That be a 8/4 slab of White Oak.....
Loaded the planed boards back up...
Took five trips to get these back into the house....now I need to sort through, and see where the desk parts are....
Got done just in time...BIG thunderstorm just rolled through...

steven c newman
07-07-2017, 3:25 PM
Parts have been sorted, a few edges have been jointed...lid has been glued up..
Needed the cauls on this one.
Needed a few planes, too.
laid out a few other parts..
So I can figure out where to cross cut for length. Top Shelf will overhang the same as the false bottom. It will also match the lid in width.
Once I get this cut to length, I can add the dovetails, THEN plane to match the angle of the sides.

had to plane the edges of the side pieces so they matched each other...plumb tuckered out, now.

When the lid can be moved, I may start on the dovetails....we'll see....working way too hard for a Friday..

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-07-2017, 8:45 PM
Still puttering around..
Pins have been sawn and chopped for one corner...
Used the pins to lay out the tails, saw and chopped
Dry fit. One corner done, three to go...started with the easy one, first.....

Had to run the jointer on the edges, first..
Which meant I had to move the glue up out of the way
And, clear the bench..
Maybe tomorrow...I can get something done...

steven c newman
07-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Corner #2...
Pins were done..
To mark the tails..
Will need a bit of fine tuning.
Maybe after lunch, I can start on corner #3?
Need to change this..
From a beading cutter, to a 1/4" ( #12) straight cutter....will need a few grooves done, to house a bottom...

Taking the time to refresh the chisels....
Stone and strop.
Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
07-08-2017, 1:29 PM
Looks like you got quite a bit done.
I like that you showed refreshing your chisels; I just refreshed my #4 and 1/2 and #5C before starting back to work on my bench build. Need them sharp or they are more trouble than they are worth.
Love your bench, BTW.

steven c newman
07-08-2017, 6:49 PM
New bottle of Elmer's has been bought....

Getting to the point I need to start thinking what finish to apply......leaning towards a plain BLO, followed by two top coats of Gloss varnish. Not a fan of shellac....never had much luck with it.

Might sneak back to the shop after awhile....corner #3.....?

steven c newman
07-08-2017, 11:05 PM
Not only was corner #3 done...
Like the others, will need a little fine tuning...
Corner #4 soon followed, until I could dry fit all four..
And check for square..
Set this aside, and got out a box..
Had to reset the plane..
Needed to go from a #23 Bead cutter, to a #12 straight cutter..
Reset the sliding stock and the fence. 1/4" groove, 1/4" in from the bottom edge.
So, tomorrow, I knock the four sides apart, and mill a groove to house a bottom panel....beats banging out dovetails in Maple/Cherry...not quite sure which...just yet.
Stay tuned...more fun to come..

Down, down, down in Dungeon Town.....( sounded better than "Goblin Town"?)

steven c newman
07-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Getting close to the Finish Line.....need to try a few things....however 'Shellac made fresh from flakes" is NOT in the menu...sooo..90s, anyway.

have a few bits of scrap from the desk build....I can try a couple things to see what happens.

Don't have a way to do spray finishes, other than a Rattlecan thing....no budget for the stuff to spray with.

Walking with a cane today.....twisted the knee..three times yesterday...loud pop each time. Will have to wait until Monday to get it rechecked....same knee I had repaired back in December of last year....

One never knows WHEN that hatch will fall down and shut you in....

IF I can hobble down to the shop today, I might see about cutting those grooves......need to rebuild a jig to hold the parts still, at least long enough for the Stanley 45 to do it's job....
Stay tuned...

Pat Barry
07-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Seriously steven, is there a handrail on the dungeon steps? I can't tell if that black pipe looking thing is the handrail.

steven c newman
07-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Yep, look just below that Gas line black pipe.....

Third step from the bottom...unless you are under 5' tall, you had better DUCK! Low bridge....hits me right at ...jaw level. Got a concussion there a few weeks ago.....

Mike Baker 2
07-09-2017, 1:23 PM
Hope your knee feels better soon.
Ever try wipe on poly?

steven c newman
07-09-2017, 1:32 PM
Yep. May just BLO and see what turns out....hoping for something like this..
We'll see...

steven c newman
07-09-2017, 4:38 PM
Grooves have "happened" two pieces of poplar planed for a bottom panel......about 8 clamps used....
Grooves...didn't go as well as I wanted..too narrow of an iron....changed out to a slightly wider iron. Skates won't close up enough for the #12 cutter to work...will do a clean up later, and see what the problem is...
Hand planed some Poplar to fit IN the new grooves. Boards were tapered, thicker along one edge than the other..had to bring them back to flat..Millers Falls No.11 worked just fine..
At least it fits in the groove...one bad thing about a fan in the shop, and thin shavings....
They blow everywhere...
Clamps?
Yep, used a few....why is it, whenever I apply glue, I get almost as much on my fingers, as I do on the wood...
Need to make a filler strip, to support the middle of the panels...

Bench is now filled with this mess.....guess I'll just have to quit for the day...stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-10-2017, 12:39 AM
make a template..
Set up a saw and a guide..
Make the rip cut, using the template to set the bevel on the saw..
Going from this..
To this..
Need to finish trimming to size. About halfway done.
Decided against a breadboard edge. There will be a strip along the edge of the lid, to keep books and pencils from sliding off. Lot of Plane work to do....Tuesday. Shop is normally closed on Mondays...

steven c newman
07-10-2017, 3:32 PM
I usually don't open the shop on Mondays. Too many "bad things" tend to happen.

Tuesday, I can get to the shop.....maybe by late afternoon-ish? May have to haul GrandBRATS back home...

I made a full sized template out of 1/4" plywood. Just marked the angles the side was using. Then lay a board of the same thickness along those lines, and mark a second line. Where the lines cross each other is where I set the bevel gauge to. Then I cut the two pieces of Pine scrap, and check THAT against the side of the case. Then I can use those to set the bevel needed on the saw. Set up a guide fence and do the rip cut. Will still need the plane, but just to joint to line, and smooth the saw marks. Not too bad a day.

Road trip today, came back home with a bit of Walnut.....might be for another project?

Stay tuned.....

steven c newman
07-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Got bored, just sitting around....ran the jointer palne around tonight..
Jointed a few edges with the Old No. 0-7. Ran a couple other planes around a bit..
Block plane for the end grain, No.9 to smooth out the faces on the lid and shelf..
Shelf looking spiffy, even the bevel
Got a Book Rest sized, jointed, and glued in place..
Had to recheck this set up...Murphy being Murphy and all..didn't want the book rest on the underside of the lid.....I looked at the bevel to make sure...yep, for once I got it right.
Had a LOT of these floating around, tonight..
This one came from that old jointer plane....

steven c newman
07-11-2017, 1:05 PM
Maybe I should meander back to the shop..have that lid's lip to finish up. Then plane all them dovetails smooth...then see what other kinds of trouble I can get into....

Looking like the "Top Shelf" will get a few screws, and then some square plugs of Walnut to cover the screws.

steven c newman
07-11-2017, 7:32 PM
Ok, spent a bunch of time in the shop today, almost done when I remembered to turn the fan on....Clamps came off the lid, needed to plane the edge smooth..
Tried the Millers Falls No.8 for a bit...was doing a decent enough job, but was a tad too narrow, sooo
Went with a Stanley No.4c.Type 20.....did a little better job, too
Will just have to do for now....
Set the lid aside for now, had a hole to patch..
First off, I chopped out a spot in the groove. Made a thicker Poplar panel to fit in the space..
Glued and nailed at the ends..
had to adjust the fit before the nails and glue,,we have ways..
Until it fits.

Next? well..it involves hanging the case in the vise..
And a couple planes...next episode is coming right up...

steven c newman
07-11-2017, 7:44 PM
Now, why hang the case in the vise? well I had these to work on
Getting there...plane is that English No.4c, again. seemed to work nicely on the end grain areas, too
I had to keep rotating the case to get to 8 parts of the corner dovetails...
Once they all looked like this, time to "adjust" the stand a bit.

Hmmm, about like Ohio...high in the middle. Stand was also clamped into the vise, the high spot scrubbed and smooth planed down....once this end would sit flat, I could rotate the stand..
Mark the high spot, plane that down level. I do not need to do the middle of the stand's top..
As this will be all you see.

Fans...need to remember to turn them ON..
Otherwise, I was just dripping all over the floor....Cardio is done for today.
Igor, clean up in Aisle #1...
Awaiting hinges, and something to apply as a finish....maybe this weekend? Stay tuned, almost done...

Rick Malakoff
07-11-2017, 9:46 PM
Here's the caliper that has served me well for fifteen years, it looks suspiciously similar right down to the Made in Taiwan stamp.

steven c newman
07-11-2017, 9:54 PM
yep.....also had a smaller orange one...til it fell apart. Too cheap..er...frugal to buy a good metal one....someday?

Pat Barry
07-12-2017, 7:48 AM
Here's the caliper that has served me well for fifteen years, it looks suspiciously similar right down to the Made in Taiwan stamp.
Hi grade plastic - love it. I have a similar one. Downside is I can't measure very thin shavings with it.

Pat Barry
07-12-2017, 7:54 AM
As this will be all you see.
Looks good steven. A couple soakings with BLO first, then dry and a few coats of Waterlox for a nice satin finish?

steven c newman
07-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Went out this morning, had the oil changed in the van, bought some hinges, and a can of BLO....might just be able to get something done?

Jerry Olexa
07-12-2017, 1:08 PM
Nice work, Steve......Good results!!!!

steven c newman
07-12-2017, 4:07 PM
Hinges are installed...
Holes have been plug with Walnut plugs..
Lid works nicely..
And gave just the lid a single coat of BLO..for now..
Had to make my own plugs, though..
Tapered ones, even. Waiting on the glue to dry, before I peel them down flush.
Need to find a spot where I can apply all the finish....kind of cramped down there....
We'll see how this goes...thanks for looking in...

Rick Malakoff
07-12-2017, 4:59 PM
That is shaping up to be a beautiful piece, great job on the hinges!
Rick

Mike Baker 2
07-12-2017, 5:01 PM
Lovely work!

steven c newman
07-12-2017, 10:22 PM
One coat of that Smelly BLO is on the entire desk, now. Waiting for it to cure...but..
called "Progress in Pictures" or PIP
Insides were done, also...
Details....BLO makes the grain pop...
Walnut plugs over the screws have been trimmed flush.
Tried to get the grain to line up as best as I could..
Not sure how long it takes on the BLO, but then a coat or two of Gloss Varnish will be the top coat(s)

Thanks for looking in!

Pat Barry
07-13-2017, 7:02 AM
One coat of that Smelly BLO is on the entire desk, now. Waiting for it to cure...but..
called "Progress in Pictures" or PIP
Insides were done, also...
Details....BLO makes the grain pop...
Walnut plugs over the screws have been trimmed flush.
Tried to get the grain to line up as best as I could..
Not sure how long it takes on the BLO, but then a coat or two of Gloss Varnish will be the top coat(s)

Thanks for looking in!
It really is looking good. Remember to be careful with your oil soaked rags. Soak them in water so they don't spontaneously combust.

steven c newman
07-13-2017, 12:13 PM
Rag is sitting outside in the rain.....was stretched out flat....haven't looked out there lately...wee bit wet right now...

Need to haul this up out of the shop....maybe it will "dry" a bit faster than that damp-ish basement? May need an extra hand or two...top of the desk is just over 40" above the floor...

May try a different camera..current one turns things too yellow....

steven c newman
07-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Old camera...needed to use the flash down there..
Maybe...
Using the flash seemed to helpa t..
Like any Dungeon...dark and dank....
It is now sitting with the lid opened....airing out the insides. will take two people to get this up them stairs....stay tuned..

steven c newman
07-13-2017, 6:31 PM
Took two people two get this thing up them steps...shinned a few body parts along the way. Now sitting in the corner of the Dining Room.....Think I can wait and varnish both it and a simple little Candy Box.

Thanks for following along....will be starting a new project thread after a bit....stay tuned
Involves a few of these thingys...chisel is a Buck Brothers 1/4" Firmer chisel.....made long before HD was opened...